Support VWWC

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: MK1 Golf - Project

Sounds like you know what you're doing, keep at it!

i like volkswagens
    My blog: http://garagefiftythree.blogspot.com.au/

Glad the parts got there ok Martin, make sure you treat the rusted areas as you go along ( phosphating )

Take your time to get everything in line before welding it as I think you already know. Oh and pix as your doing it as well
    Lots of MK 1 Scirocco's...

If it aint a MK 1 then it must be a donor car ??

Cheers,
    Grant...

Users Country Flag
    Hey mate great job!! Where in melbourne are you from?
    - Orange Golf mk1 LS, 1.8 5speed, 32/36 - sold
    - Golf mk1 Swallowtail rebuild, completely stripped
    - Brown U.S import 81 cabby
    - 88 Honda crx b18cr

looking good mart, will have to pop up one weekend for a look. Glad you are getting it sorted slower. did you get your welder after?
    Velly
    '91 2.0 8v GTI

Quote Originally Posted by DubSteve View Post
    I have wood thinking about you

Quote Originally Posted by Jarred View Post
    Sounds like you know what you're doing, keep at it!
    Time will tell, repairing the inner section around the A-Pillar is the most tricky, that’s why I’m doing it first. If I stuff it up it's down the breakers yard!
    The next big job is replacing the roof panel if I can get a full tin top.

Quote Originally Posted by roccodingo View Post
    Glad the parts got there ok Martin, make sure you treat the rusted areas as you go along ( phosphating )
    Take your time to get everything in line before welding it as I think you already know. Oh and pix as your doing it as well
    I’ll keep the pixs coming, Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeMK1 View Post
    Hey mate great job!! Where in melbourne are you from?
    North Melbourne - Craigieburn

Quote Originally Posted by velly_16v_cab View Post
    looking good mart, will have to pop up one weekend for a look. Glad you are getting it sorted slower. did you get your welder after?
    Welcome anytime Gareth, I’m sure I can stumble across some beers in the man cave! Bought a Lincoln 180C with Argon mix gas. Very pleased with it! Although I don’t think the wife’s too impressed with me spending money on what appears to be a constant supply of tools!

PS:
    If anyone knows of a mk1 Golf in a breakers yard - Melbourne please let me know. I need to cut the roof panel off! Thanks

Ok, It’s been I while but I’ve managed to get a bit done on the Golf with what limited time I have now that I have 2 children.

Thanks to Roccodingo – Grant, for the Scuttle panel and rear window sections . I’ve now completed the scuttle replacement and RHS rear window section, only the LHS remaining.

Here’s a couple of photos of the progress.

The rust has gone through the outer and into the inner panel

Scuttle panel off

All rust removed from inner section ready for replacement from donor panel, painted in POR 15

Donor section ready to be welded in

Donor sections welded in

Area under the scuttle requires repair, managed to purchase a repair panel from the UK and locally cut out whats needed

Sealed up and painted in Epoxy and weld through primer where the scuttle will be re-attached/welded

Now onto the scuttle

Last edited by Drysponge; 11-10-2012 at 02:46 PM.

All done, I kept the hood on as a good datum check for flushness and gap.

Now onto the rear window repair

Donor panel marked up for trimming

All rust cut out, any surface rust remaining was cleaned up as much as possible and treated before epoxy paint

New section tacked in

I had to fabricate this small section, turned out ok.

Before

After

Last edited by Drysponge; 11-10-2012 at 02:56 PM.

Next challenge was to replace the roof to a tin top.

Thanks to Ben for chopping off the upper portion off his 5dr Golf and shipping from Sydney to Melbourne. His car was advertised on here for parts prior to scrapping. This was his car prior to becoming a convertible.

The roof arrived and I thought this was as good as any place to store it safe away from little feet.

Next job was to unpick the outer skin off the internal sections. This was a painstaking task. When I was taking this photo my 4 year old son asked if he can stand on it! You’ve never seen move so fast

Roof skin is back in a safe place

I braced the just in case there is any movement when the old roof skin comes off. I don’t think this is really necessary though and there’s plenty of support within the inner roof structure

Old roof off

The whole area was then cleaned, any surface rust was removed as much as possible. Any remain surface corrosion was treated prior to epoxy

Last edited by Drysponge; 11-10-2012 at 12:43 PM.

Whoever butchered a hole in the old sunroof had also damaged the area that houses the interior lamp, luckily I was able to replace this section from the donor car. The pictures show before and after. It’s now fully welded with welds ground smooth.

Now the new roof skin can go on

New roof skin in place, I made a simple tool to ensure the mating flanges are flat to each other prior to tacking in place, seemed to work quite well.

I put the tailgate back on to ensure all the gaps – flushness were ok before welding in place.

The roofs on, just need to weld the outer return flange back on and clean up.

I was hoping to have made a neater job of welding this flange back on but I’m sure a little filler will finish it off.

Last edited by Drysponge; 11-10-2012 at 02:59 PM.

Users Country Flag

Very impressive work your doing to the old girl! Do you fancy coming to perth and fitting my after market front fenders cant seem to get a good gap all round with them!

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast