Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: MK1 Deisel for the Sh#tbox Rally... a build thread.

Users Country Flag

MK1 Deisel for the Sh#tbox Rally... a build thread.

I'll start a build thread here after my intro thread, I'm new to VW's have always loved them since memories of my dads Type3 Squareback 25 years ago.

This year, my old man an I were accepted into the Sh#tbox Rally, May next year we are going from Canberra to Townsville VIA the Birdsville track... this is how the organisers summarise the event:

Sh#tbox Rally is not a race, rather a challenge to achieve the unthinkable; to drive cars worth $1,000 across Australia via some of its most arduous roads, all in the name of charity.

Think about it – this is going to be great fun. Sure it’s not for everyone, those who don’t like to get their hands dirty or spend any time away from civilization need not apply. For the rest of us, this may just be what you have been looking for.

This rally is for those that want to have an adventure, that crave something different, something memorable, but most importantly, it’s for those who want to raise much needed money for charity.

Many of us have been affected by cancer in one way or another. Whether it be parents, family, close friends, people we know or ourselves that have battled or are battling cancer, this all too common and the horrid disease has touched us all. We not only want to raise awareness and money for the Cancer Council, but we want to be able to offer support and a friendly ear to those that have suffered or are suffering.

This event is officially endorsed and supported by the Cancer Council.
    If you would like to donate to our cause, please
    Click here to donate, Share & Follow via Every Day Hero
    Remember anything over $2 is a tax deduction!

Today Dad and I picked up a MK1 Deisel for well under budget, it runs, has had a good service history and had sat at his mechanics for about 2 years after the owner moved out of town for work. Needs rego, but will pass roadworthy (Blueslip if you're in NSW) no problems according to the mechanic where it was sitting.

Sorry got excited and removed interior prior to some before pics.

[img]

After rego, which should be a matter of shimming the front brakes, fixing up the leaking injector pump (from under the throttle spring?) and tidying up some electrical work, we'll drive it around and get any bugs out.

We need to lift it, that sump is very vulnerable at the height we're at now, and with where we're going it won't last long.

I'm looking to go some bigger tyres on 14's probably a 185/R14 - I know they'll slow her down a bit, but we're not planning on going fast anyway, and the reduced wheel RPM's might help us over some rougher terrain.

Looking to raise the suspension - either via lifting blocks and updated springs and shocks, bigger springs and shocks, or something totally custom...

Also scored some goodies in the car - MK2 GTI clusters? what's the going rate, they'll be sold off and go towards fundraising or new tyres.

I'll keep this thread as best updated as possible, and with more info when we get it along the way if anyone wants to support our fundraising or help us out. I've been informed that "Preeny" is local to me and the go-to guy for a heap of stuff, so hopefully I can get in touch with him if he's willing to share some wisdom.

Many thanks, Team Jack-It.
    Last edited by Jack_It; 12-09-2014 at 10:28 AM.

Users Country Flag
    I never knew they made a Diesel mk1. Learn something new everyday i guess and the $1000 rally sounds like a hell of a time. i'll be lurking in this thread!
    01 MKIV GTI ME7 converted hybrid k04
    08 MKV GTI Daily driver duties
    I have serious VAG issues.

Users Country Flag
    This should be a good build! Good luck with the rally when the time comes, the little mk1 will make it I drove mine from Tasmania to Cairns with only 2 or 3 break downs, but that was surfaced roads haha

Preeny will definitely help you out for sure! Alot of members have a heap of spare parts usually, including myself so don't hesitate to message me.
    Its the little things..

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    awesome, you guys seem to remind me of the R31SC forums of old, I've had 31's since my L's 15yrs ago and the 31 guys were great, they are still are a top bunch, but facebook fools have taken over a little bit. I've made some great, and lifelong friends along the way hopefully there are a few blokes here I'll get to know too as we plan to keep the golf, especially if we can prove the provenance of it being the first Diesel on the roads in the country!

as I said in the other thread, I managed to come across a full really tidy MK1 S.2 at my wreckers, I'm hoping the wrecker will donate the shell whole or even at a pretty low price, there are some awesome parts on it.

Mostly what we'll need is supplies for along the way, I'd like a spare sump as it's very vulnerable down there, there was a spare CV stashed in the back! And considering we'll probably drive it home too so will come via the coast roads from Townsville, so we can meet up with anyone that wants to catch up and have a look at the old oiler that (hopefully) had just done some of the toughest open roads in Australia!

Users Country Flag
    I'll come and see you off at the Canberra end. No money but I will smile a lot.

There's a local VW wrecker near me who has over 50 MK1's on his property. Most are rusty shells but he's sure to have anything mechanical you need. He used to have a MK1 diesel with a massive turbo on it but that would probably blow your budget.

Have you been round to see the MK2 owner yet? If it's not Preeny then he'll know how to find him. Orange only has 20 houses and a pub doesn't it?

Cheers

Paul
    Last edited by sports racer; 02-09-2014 at 12:49 AM.

We'll bring her town to The Green Shed as they are going to sponsor us I hope (my little bro works there) so I'll let you know when we're there!

oh man, that's a lot of golfs! I'll have to check it out when I'm down.

Orange is a tad bigger than that, probably more than 20 pubs if you include the clubs and the few wine-bars we have around, we're about 40,000 strong as a town, and the area services close to 100,000 if you include satellite towns!

Spent some time cleaning:

uhh, is that an air filter, or an oil filter?

Users Country Flag
    That has got to be the dirtiest filter i've ever seen.
    Its the little things..

Users Country Flag
    It's OK, there's a hole in the middle to let the air in.

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_It View Post
    Spent some time cleaning:

uhh, is that an air filter, or an oil filter?
    Check you pm jack

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast