Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MK1 Cabby Wheels for RWC (VIC)

hahahaha, well I'm certainly enjoying the steering now that those wheels are off! Made even more of a difference than I thought it would. Might be better to have 14s or 15s, or spend more time at the gym

Users Country Flag
    Love the look of your Cabby...

It's not the diameter of the rim that changes the steering weight, it's the width of the tyre...
    Also, running the Tyres a couple of PSI higher can help a lot with the steering weight too...

After running such nice wide wheels, it's probably a good idea to have a real good look at your steering rack mount on the drivers side for cracks...
    I had mine completely sheer off of the chassis... Not a very nice experience...
    '90 Mk I Cabriolet 1.8L - My toy... err... Daily driver... - Replaced with ‘93 Mk1 Cabriolet 1.8L <- Soon to be mine...
    '99 Mk IV Bora V5 <-- RIP - Replaced with ’10 Tiguan 147kw <-- Wife's Daily Driver
    '05 Volvo T5 S60 - 2.5L Turbo AWD Replaced with '09 Ford LV Focus Sedan <-- Used by the kids

'07 Eos 2.0 TFSI - Project Eos...

Users Country Flag
    After running such nice wide wheels, it's probably a good idea to have a real good look at your steering rack mount on the drivers side for cracks...
    I had mine completely sheer off of the chassis... Not a very nice experience...
    Is this a common thing with MK1s? Might have to do some preventative welding!
    2019 132TSI Tiguan
    2011 Audi S4 Wagon
    1988 MK1 Caddy
    2006 Polo GTI

Users Country Flag
    Common on the Cabrio's as they shipped with wider wheels from the factory, and weigh about 300kg's more.
    Less common on the Golf's, but does still occur...
    '90 Mk I Cabriolet 1.8L - My toy... err... Daily driver... - Replaced with ‘93 Mk1 Cabriolet 1.8L <- Soon to be mine...
    '99 Mk IV Bora V5 <-- RIP - Replaced with ’10 Tiguan 147kw <-- Wife's Daily Driver
    '05 Volvo T5 S60 - 2.5L Turbo AWD Replaced with '09 Ford LV Focus Sedan <-- Used by the kids

Users Country Flag
    It's more common than you would think. The Cabbys are a few 100 kgs heavier than the hardtops and the stress area for the steering is the mounts.

Briohny, it would be best if you replaced your wheels with 14's or 15's and I'm not saying that because I want your wheels and can swap you my 14's or 15's - honest.

Plus, big muscles on a girl only look good on Russian farm girls.

Cheers

Paul
    Last edited by sports racer; 29-01-2015 at 12:21 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Also, to make matters worse, MK1 golf steering racks apply all steering forces to just the drivers side mount.
    There are no locating rings on the passenger side mount, and it is able to move side to side quite easily once the drivers mount brakes...

Users Country Flag
    Definitely something I'm going to address - especially while the engines out and other parts are getting welded. I'm hoping to eventually run 7-8" up front.
    2019 132TSI Tiguan
    2011 Audi S4 Wagon
    1988 MK1 Caddy
    2006 Polo GTI

ahahaha. Amusing and informative! The tires on the 16s are actually narrower than the rims... I don't really know anything about them though and I can't go outside and check cause they are on Neil's GTI. Yep - I reckon I wanna go to some 15s/ 14s, but I really like that psuedo BBS pattern on the wheels I had. What do you have Paul? Tempt me. And be careful, some of my best friends are russian farmhands.

Users Country Flag
    Dayyyum that's a fine looking cabriolet. Fair to say some BBS's and a lowering helps the visuals, but dang I love that colour.

Users Country Flag

You know you want these. 14 x 7 and they are 2 piece.

MK1 Cabby Wheels for RWC (VIC)-yellow-wheels-1a-jpg

Let me know if you're interested and we can work out a swap + cash for your wheels so you can buy some tyres to suit.

Cheers

Paul
    Last edited by sports racer; 02-02-2015 at 01:00 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12