Support VWWC

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: mk1 8v engine work

Users Country Flag

Thats 98 pages of reading Pete! I'm pretty sure you could condense it down to a paragraph for the sake of the reader .

Doing worked 8v in my opinion is more of a trip down nostalgic lane and worth the journey every bit if thats what your into.
    best money spent is on the head for finding your power to Fun Ratio but don't expect to make it very streetable.
    I mean you can but if your going to the effort, personally a mitsubishi mirage makes a good day to day car and a
    Nasty Mk1 8v high revving Monster is Gr8 for the weekend track and cruise Fix.

if your after bang for buck best to go 16v or 1.8t swap.
    Also Reliability only comes form the quality of the gear you choose it install i.e. if its new or used and
    your commitment to maintaining it!

Its a good idea as mentioned above to go to the other forums and look around but funnily most people don't seem to have a good attitude to new people asking questions and wanting quick answers they want you to spend the time on the internet digging it up for yourself.

Yea buy some other suckers work and you get to spend your days playing in it not toiling over it lol
    but nothing ventured nothing learned

Good advice.

I think if you're into it, clear yourself some bench space in the garage, get yourself an engine stand, and an engine, and just see what happens.

In my personal experience, its that first bit thats the hardest... once its sitting in pieces I can't help but work on it
    '07 Touareg V6 TDI with air suspension
    '98 Mk3 Cabriolet 2.0 8V
    '99 A4 Quattro 1.8T

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by gldgti View Post
    Good advice.

I think if you're into it, clear yourself some bench space in the garage, get yourself an engine stand, and an engine, and just see what happens.

In my personal experience, its that first bit thats the hardest... once its sitting in pieces I can't help but work on it
    Thats Awesome!
    the best builds are all about the journey

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Dub Toffee View Post
    Thats Awesome!
    the best builds are all about the journey
    16V for the power, but if you ever did 'destroy' an 8v, there's a million more of the things in Australia for dirt cheap.

2L 8v in a MK1 = Nippy, reliable daily.
    2L 8v + close ratio = More fun, reliable daily
    2L 8v with 'light' mods + close ratio = Grins from ear to ear, still dailyable too.
    MK2 - *Insert list of dealer purchased extra's/standard features here*
    80 series - The MK2's BIG, Sooty, polar opposite...
    HAHAHA

I reckon a mk1 with more than 100hp is good fun ... thats easy with an 8V.
    '07 Touareg V6 TDI with air suspension
    '98 Mk3 Cabriolet 2.0 8V
    '99 A4 Quattro 1.8T

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Cheers everyone! Such a dope forum ! Im at gads now starring at the most legit mk1 gti white two door! I want it so badly! Thanks for all the tips keep you updated when I own a mk1 just got to find the right one now

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12