Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mk1 1.6 Performance upgrades

Users Country Flag

Mk1 1.6 Performance upgrades

Hi Im just asking for some advice on whether these upgrades will be worth it on my 1976 1.6 Mk1 golf LS with K-jet and a trimmed head. Got onto the Techtonics Tuning website and they have a great range for mk1.

I like the original 1.6 screamer and am not that confident with a total engine swap! Plus will help me learn my way around the engine pretty well with these upgrades. Just looking to have some fun with tinkering

Also wondering do you get a stroker kit for Mk1's?

Firstly
    Blue Lightweight Aluminum Intermediate Sprocket 8v ('75-early'99) [109 059B] - $70.00 : Techtonics Tuning, VW and Audi Tuning and Repair Parts

Cam
    TT 8V Solid Lifter Camshaft (306 - RACE) [109 069] - $225.00 : Techtonics Tuning, VW and Audi Tuning and Repair Parts
    Is there an easy way to see if I already have an upgraded cam?
    Also not sure if my engine is hydrualic lifter or solid lifter?

How can I make this kit work on a 1.6?
    TT 8V Solid Lifter Camshaft (306 - RACE) [109 069] - $225.00 : Techtonics Tuning, VW and Audi Tuning and Repair Parts

Cheers

Easier to swap to a 1.8 than use a 1.6 and stroke it.. A LOT cheaper too..

Is this a heron head?

If not..

What's the engine code?

I'd go for a G grind cam.. All the Mk1 1.6s are solid lifter, so all the solid TT cams will work.

I wouldn't go anywhere near 306 degrees.. They won't work with Kjet, it upsets the air flap. Stick to a max of about 276.

These ones would be my pick for street use..

http://www.techtonicstuning.com/main...products_id=21
    http://www.techtonicstuning.com/main...oducts_id=1642
    http://www.techtonicstuning.com/main...products_id=23

You are also limited with valve size with the 1.6 as they aren't exactly massive. A "bigger" cam than the ones I have mentioned would be a waste on you engine and you'd more than likely end up making less power and killing your bottom end/mid range torque. You also more than likely don't have a huge amount of compression, so going to a really big cam is pointless as your dynamic compression ratio drops and you won't be making the cylinder pressure required to make use of a big cam.

Flick me an email or PM if you are interested as I can get you this gear and save you a packet on shipping.
    Last edited by Preen59; 11-02-2011 at 09:31 PM.

APR Tuned | KW Suspension | INA Engineering | Mocal Oil Control |
    Email: chris@tprengineering.com

... Some other things to consider..

Get a Volvo 240 metering head and air flap.

Audi throttle body

Ported intake.

These are also restriction points when working with Kjet.

APR Tuned | KW Suspension | INA Engineering | Mocal Oil Control |
    Email: chris@tprengineering.com

Users Country Flag
    I understand where your coming from mate. 1.6 engines are fun but Preen is right, 1.8 is easier.

In saying that, Im playing around with a 1.6 engine in the MK1 Passat at the moment. I have twin 40 side draught webers with 28mm chokes and jets to correspond with the size of the engine. I have no idea what to expect in improvement with power but like I said, Im just playing with this 1.6 to find out if all is well with the webers than a 'G' grind cam or 274/276 cam is next.

Any way mate I like the idea of your k-jet. Keen to hear what other improvements you do
    2000 SAAB 9-5 Aero - Stage 2. 275hp 420Nm, Brew City Boost
    1986 SAAB 900 Turbo 16 S

Anton, your engine has a solid lifter head and unfortunately isnt a heron type head. some type of larger exhaust, a modified / better breathing camshaft, upgrade the throttle body as preeny has said along with some de restricting of the inlet will give you some more power

Next would be increase the compression ratyio or as suggested go to a 1.8L engine ( same as whats in the green scirocco) Have plenty of books etc if you want to do some studying up !!
    Lots of MK 1 Scirocco's...

If it aint a MK 1 then it must be a donor car ??

Cheers,
    Grant...

Users Country Flag
    Sorry to say but 18l 8v is the way to go, Ive been in a couple modified 1.6l golfs and i wasn't impressed even a turbo one , I ran a 1.8l gti engine for a couple of years and i loved it, It is a better platform to start with and any modification will see greater gains.

You can get a 305 degree cam to work on K-jet just wont be a nice car to drive on the street.

Users Country Flag
    Hey Anton, the 1.6 is a good motor mate and you can upgrade it or like the boys said fit the 1.8. Another option is get a 1.8 crank (they are relatively cheap and bolt it in, we'll pull the motor down and can get a rebore fairly cheap and use some 81mm pistons mate and bring yours up to 1.8L (but this would be a recondition of the motor rather than an unknown second hander). The techtonics gear is all top shelf but find a supplier in the US because techtonics postage is rediculous at times and import the gear yourself. I can help you fit everything in an afternoon. We can play with the cam timing a little when stock and probably move towards better low range/ mid range for a stock motor. Solid lifter heads are easy to fit cams to but you have to reshim the tappets thats all (again 1 hour at the max job). I have a RN cam off a 1.8 sitting in my shed which is bigger than the stock 1.6 but the ideal cam is a 276 if you want to rev it but not have to change out valve springs (i have a stiff set in my shed also if you wanna go to 7500) but the biggest gain we will make is freeing up the flow and more fuel hence upgrade the metering head and a basic port of the intake or we can go down the twin carb route but now your talking over $1000.
    77 Golf tarmac rally
    89 porsche 911
    80 Rabbit 4dr
    11 mk1 and 2\'s in various states of undress
    KEEPING THE BIG CUBES IN THE REAR VISION MIRROR

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks very much for the advice guys it's good to know and will keep it all in mind. I think upgrading the metering head and throttle body is a good start. Then go to a port of the intake, then the 1.8 upgrade/recondition as you say Luke. Will be in touch.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Ok I went to a wreckers today when a I had a spare moment because there happened to be a volvo 240 sitting outside. about to be scrapped. Anyway I asked for the metering head and how much it would be? Oh only $220 dollars but ill do it for $150 cash. No you cant take it out yourself!
    Far out the whole car isnt worth $50.
    I dont know if this guy will come back to earth with his price so does anyone have one they would like to sell?
    Didnt take much notice of volvo 240s before this thread but there are actually heaps of these 'nothing but box' cars around.

Also what do i need to make sure i get? theres like the bottom half cast part, then the thing the fuel lines come out of on top. along with the bellow too.
    Is there much mod needed to install it?
    Last edited by Antonvs; 17-02-2011 at 11:25 PM.

Anton, All you need is the metering head and 80 Mm airbox assembly, Come by either Sat or sunday morning and check it out. It certainly wont cost you $220 either.

Any used metering heads should be rebuilt as the dirt/ rust/ insects that comes out of them will clog your injectors, rebuild cost is about the $500 mark btw.

Have larger throttle body etc also.
    Lots of MK 1 Scirocco's...

If it aint a MK 1 then it must be a donor car ??

Cheers,
    Grant...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast