Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm need in town and need parts knowledge!

I'm need in town and need parts knowledge!

Hi!

I have a 1983 VW Rabbit GTI (you guys call it a Golf!) and I need a Radiator Fan Motor and possibly a radiator.

Any suggestions on where to get one in Australia?

The markings on my Bosch Motor are:

Bosch 058
    P/N 0130107046 DPG 12V

It is a two pin connector. My car does have A/C in it and I suspect that the radiators might be different between non-a/c units. Are the motors rebuildable? Does anyone do that here? I'm in Sydney.

Thanks!

Users Country Flag
    The original MK1 fan and radiator is very outdated. Unless you're restoring it to "as new" from the factory I suggest replacing with something a lot more modern.

I'm running a radiator from a 91 Holden Barina which fits nicely under the slam panel, not in front of it and gives more clearance to fit things between the radiator and engine. Barina radiators are larger (wider) and a lot cheaper than old Golf ones too.

Any good sized fan and shroud from an aftermarket supplier like Supercheap or Repco will suit.

I'm need in town and need parts knowledge!-yellow-engine-bay-2-jpg

Cheers

Paul
    Last edited by sports racer; 22-09-2016 at 01:12 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Don't forget that the barina radiators take the standard fan thermo switch for a nice and easy installation
    77 Mk1 GLS 2 door - That sinking feeling
    76 Mk1 Swallowtail 2 door - Replace that BMW & 76 Sweetheart

Users Country Flag
    As above,. or a Honda Civic rad with slim line fan.

Any pic's of said GTI?
    - Orange Golf mk1 LS, 1.8 5speed, 32/36 - sold
    - Golf mk1 Swallowtail rebuild, completely stripped
    - Brown U.S import 81 cabby
    - 88 Honda crx b18cr

Hmm....

I do have interest in keeping my car as stock looking as possible. I also have an external expansion tank on my car was well as Air Conditioning. Trust me... Many times I've thought about putting in a modern engine and doing away with the CIS and the expansion tank. There are much better ways to do thing now but that can be said about the entire car! I would also love to undate the A/C System as well. It was used by the Roman Legion on their march to Theopolis.

Any suggestions on a stock unit?

Users Country Flag
    I almost always get my 'stock' parts from the US or UK. Best to start enlisting the help of relatives and friends I'm need in town and need parts knowledge!

Users Country Flag
    For a local option Brian at GTI Imports, or take advantage of free postage for orders over $250 from VWHeritage.
    Gav

Users Country Flag
    External expansion tank still works with the Barina radiator.

I'm need in town and need parts knowledge!-yellow-engine-bay-1-jpg

Wow...just talked to Brian at GTI imports. What a helpful guy. He just had back surgery and sounded out of it. Wish him well.

Wow! Those carbs are really cool! Every VW I've ever owned has been fuel injected. I was thinking of installing electronic FI and get rid of this CIS System but it does work well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast