Thread: gearbox questions

Users Country Flag

gearbox questions

hey

i was just wondering if there are any 5speed boxes that will fit an 8v 1.6l without any mods to the engine mounts? and how much would they cost?
    thanks

Yes there is, Cabrio ones have the correct gearbox mount others from G 2,3,4 or SEAT etc will need said gearbox mount.Prices from $50 up to 11 / 12 seems fair.
    Most are old and would need a rebuild so its a bit of a minefield, buy one that is known and guaranteed.

Couple of other things you will need to be aware of are drive shaft sizes and one part of the shifter setup will need to be swapped or modified to work with a 5 speed gearbox.

Here is an example of modifying the gearbox mount - 4-speed -> 5 speed mount conversions

For the shifter mod one of the rods needs a bit of extra length added to it, I know I have seen a writeup on doing it somewhere but can't for the life of me remember where.

If you are in the act I always hear good things about Canberra VW centre or you have Matt from Camden GTI in Sydney, both will be bale to assist I am sure.
    76 MkI 3 door - daily drive/project - 1.8 5speed
    76 MkI 3 door swallowtail - 16v track car
    76 MkI 3 door "long term" project

Users Country Flag
    The 5 speed gearbox in my 1990 Cabby is an AUG, and it definately has 100mm Flanges for the CV's...
    '90 Mk I Cabriolet 1.8L - My toy... err... Daily driver... - Replaced with ‘93 Mk1 Cabriolet 1.8L <- Soon to be mine...
    '99 Mk IV Bora V5 <-- RIP - Replaced with ’10 Tiguan 147kw <-- Wife's Daily Driver
    '05 Volvo T5 S60 - 2.5L Turbo AWD Replaced with '09 Ford LV Focus Sedan <-- Used by the kids

'07 Eos 2.0 TFSI - Project Eos...

All the cabbys of australian delivered variety have 100mm flanges.

Flanges are pretty easy to swap if required.
    '07 Touareg V6 TDI with air suspension
    '98 Mk3 Cabriolet 2.0 8V
    '99 A4 Quattro 1.8T

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    alright, thanks guys

will be giving vw canberra a call to see what they have and can reccomend, even just a reconditioned engine to get through rego, then onto the good engine haha

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilks View Post
    alright, thanks guys

will be giving vw canberra a call to see what they have and can reccomend, even just a reconditioned engine to get through rego, then onto the good engine haha
    hi mate, i have a really good condition 5 speed for sale. 90mm flanges, so won't require any modifications - in the car currently and runs perfectly, PM if interested.

thanks.
    78 2-door 1.8 KR 16v - twin dellorto's

Always interested in 5 speed boxes. What's the code ?

Cheers Geoff