Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Australian Mk1 GTI roll call

Quote Originally Posted by Lima View Post
    That's such a sad story. It would be great to see it back on the road.
    The worst part I reckon was that it was nearly 100% original with only 140K!

The original plan for the car was a 20vt engine which I had mounted back in 01-02, but ran out of coin & decided to put it back together.

I owned it for nearly 4 years after hassling a family friend for about the same period of time to buy it off him & just after getting everything on it spot on & then within 1 month of getting it rego'd & on the road it gets smashed!

It wasn't a show car either. Just an honest car that had a couple of dings & scratches etc. that I was using as a daily run about at that time.

A few people regarded it as one of the best GTI's in Aust.

Still has the factory wax, last rego label the year it was in the UK. Came with full documentation along with all the Campaign dealer paperwork etc.

I'll get back into when I get a few more projects done first

damn that sucks mate! looks the goods too with those wheels.

well there are three other genuine gti's down here in Tas that i know of, two of which are stored for resto, while the other gets around.
    1979 Mk1 Golf GTi
    1994 Mk3 Golf VR6

Users Country Flag
    Tim, yours wouldn't be the white GTI that was kicking around the VWCV (owned by a current member then) about 15 to 20 years ago by any chance ??
    Children(VW) who have left home, among others:1966 VW 1300 Deluxe Bug(Harbour Blue)1966 VW 1300 Steel Sunroof Bug(Ruby Red), 1971 VW 1600 S Bug(White) 1972 VW 25th Ann. Bug(Avocado) 2000 VW Golf Mk IV GTI 3 door(Metallic Black Magic), 1985 VW Golf Mk 1 GLS Cabriolet (Metallic Gun Metal) Current: 1985 Mercedes Benz 280CE Coupe(Midnight Blue)

Quote Originally Posted by dubai gti View Post
    Tim, yours wouldn't be the white GTI that was kicking around the VWCV (owned by a current member then) about 15 to 20 years ago by any chance ??
    Nah not the same one sorry.

Mine came from SA & was brought in a bloke who at the time brought in 2 mint gti's some time ago.

One being mine & the other an even better condition 1.6L early gti.

I'll have to dig up all the paperwork, but the last reg. year in the UK was 89. so it may have been 89-90 it arrived I think.

Quote Originally Posted by SpeciP3 View Post
    ...well there are three other genuine gti's down here in Tas that i know of, two of which are stored for resto, while the other gets around.
    So, that makes it 7 GTIs we can account for on VWW.

I've always guesstimated there'd be 15-20 in Australia. Will be interesting to see if where we end up.

MY10 S3 3dr

There's got to be more then 7!
    Audi S3 8L - Stroker GTX3582 700bhp+
    Golf GTI 1980
    Golf GLS 1979
    www.facebook.com/etunersmotorsportau

Users Country Flag
    You need to be careful with the Tasmanian GTI's that you are certain they are original ones. There are a number of 'dolled up' ones there.

However Mike's silver car is an import, however not very standard any more with the 20VT in it.
    2015 Multivan Highline
    1969 Sunbeam Imp Sport 930cc

Quote Originally Posted by mikinoz View Post
    You need to be careful with the Tasmanian GTI's that you are certain they are original ones. There are a number of 'dolled up' ones there.

However Mike's silver car is an import, however not very standard any more with the 20VT in it.
    Its better with the 20vT, how many GTi's are like that in Europe? HEAPS!

Mike has 2 more GTi's too.

Golf GTI 1980
    Golf GLS 1979

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by 16v_kid View Post
    Its better with the 20vT, how many GTi's are like that in Europe? HEAPS!

Mike has 2 more GTi's too.

Its not very genuine thats what Mik is saying, now please go to the fiat forums!
    Last edited by mikinoz; 07-12-2009 at 03:48 PM. Reason: C'mon Steve ;)
    I'm soo euro even my missus is shaved...

Going to a fiat forum wont stop me being here...so tuff luck. I know what Mik was saying, i just told my opinion.

Golf GTI 1980
    Golf GLS 1979

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast