Thread: Any mk1 wiring upgrade options?

Any mk1 wiring upgrade options?

Have just pulled out all the wiring in the mk1 76 3dr GLS with the 1.6 getting it ready for full strip and body work. The wiring is pretty messy and was wondering if there is anywhere i could buy a new complete one or if theres places that will take the old one and refurbish it. If not is there anywhere that sells the plugs that are throughout the whole loom, especially around the fuse box area? worst case i will remake one. Cheers.

Be careful as there are at least 3 different fuse boxes. '76, '77 and '78 have different wiring looms.

Users Country Flag
    You are best keeping the plastic housing of all the plugs then redo the wiring and terminal ends. RS Components is good for the terminals and wire

As far as I know the only place that you can buy the round terminals from is VW and Wurth. They are very expensive and VW specific.

As an upgrade ( you quote in the header ) find a late model cabrio that is being wrecked and replace your whole harness with the one from the cabrio, The relay plate is miles better and still fits the early Mk1 slot.

To do the existing wiring you need to re use almost all of the terminal end blocks, as these are mostly NLA these days.

How do I know ? I am constructing a complete replacement harness for Lukes tarmac rally car, fortunately he has a good head start by purchasing a lot of the factory connector blocks and relay plate a long time back when the stuff was available, so we are on a winner there.

Already I have run into a supply issue trying to get some of the correct size and coloured wiring. 4 mm2 red with black trace ( starter circuit ) is unavailble unless I have it manufactured ( yeah, 2500 metres min order )

The correct terminals are available for all the blocks, however this does take a lot of search time locating them.

Good luck with what your choice is .
    Lots of MK 1 Scirocco's...

If it aint a MK 1 then it must be a donor car ??

Cheers,
    Grant...

Quote Originally Posted by roccodingo View Post
    Already I have run into a supply issue trying to get some of the correct size and coloured wiring. 4 mm2 red with black trace
    Have you tried Wurth?

A good source for cables is a T3. They were built up until '92 and the cables are longer and usually clean.

If you need something specific I have a lot of old stuff that was taken from Golfs many years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by syncro View Post
    Have you tried Wurth?

A good source for cables is a T3. They were built up until '92 and the cables are longer and usually clean.

If you need something specific I have a lot of old stuff that was taken from Golfs many years ago.
    Thanks Syncro, have tried many suppliers worldwide as the customer desires new cables ( I have plenty of salvaged wire also ) but the minimum order rule applies. Most of the stuff is coming through a family contact in the Netherlands. the remainder through suppliers here in Oz.
    Lots of MK 1 Scirocco's...

If it aint a MK 1 then it must be a donor car ??

Cheers,
    Grant...

Users Country Flag
    I have a 1980 Caddy that I'm rebuilding and I would like to install a clean, simple, new wiring harness to replace the original. Has anyone done this? What are my options? I'm having a hard time finding any information online... tellculvers com survey taco bell breakfast hours
    Last edited by gehlotsur; 05-10-2022 at 06:02 PM.

Users Country Flag

I have a 1998 Seat Cupra that I'm going to transfer all the wiring into my 78 Mk1. Got to be better than the original wiring and I like the idea of having new type connections.