Support VWWC

Page 73 of 79 FirstFirst ... 23637172737475 ... LastLast

Thread: 78 2-Door Build Thread

Users Country Flag

Not much to report. Took the head off the 9a to find a bit of rust in 2 of the cylinders so cleaned it up with some 800 sandpaper.

78 2-Door Build Thread-2015-02-09-19-27-42-jpg

After cleaning there's still some marks I'm not happy with so might be time to take the motor to someone for a hone and new rings.

78 2-Door Build Thread-2015-02-09-19-27-57-jpg

While the motor is getting some work done I'll get them to check the crank and see if it needs new bearings. Does anyone recommend an engine builder?

I talked my brother into helping me move the Seat to mum's, it looks a bit lost sitting out in the bush.

78 2-Door Build Thread-2015-02-14-12-58-45-jpg

There's a lot of parts I want to use in the MK1 but the body is for sale if anyone wants a cheap Seat Cupra.

Cheers

Paul
    Last edited by sports racer; 28-02-2015 at 12:35 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Just a small update. The 9a block is with the engine builder getting some work done. I was thinking of putting the ABF head on the 9a but it would be too hard sorting out the dizzy timing. The ABF uses crank triggered timing which is nearly impossible to convert to the 9a block.

Here's the advice I got from the UK guys.

The abf dizzy is a single window trigger window and is locked into position as it doesnt have slotted holes like the kr/9a type. on the abf ecu it is just used as a cam position reference, you cant run the engine off it the ABF ECU absolutely MUST have a crank sensor reference to run.

this is why i mention the SEAT ADL ECU, as it will run off a kr/9a dizzy and doesn't use a crank sensor and is half way between a the mk3 2.0 8v 2E ECU and an ABF ECU. It uses a 4 window adjustable dizzy with batch fire injectors like a 2E, but the MAP and other engine sensors are all same as used on an ABF. The loom is very similar too.

Some more help.

I am not sure how available the 1.8 16v Toledo/Cordoba/Ibiza ECUs or powertrains are in your next of the woods.
    At any rate to use such, you would need a ADL/KR/9A 4 window dizzy, modifications to the your ABF injector loom to batch fire and a recalibration of the chip to run the larger engine correctly.
    Also not sure if the ADL runs the same flow rate for the batch fired injectors as well. I have very seldom come across such vehicles here.

The ABF ECU from the donor, can run the 9A engine w/ABF head and dress kit, on the proviso a 60-2 crank wheel and compatible hall pickup is mounted at 78-85 degs from TDC.

Sounds like a lot of work just to get the ABF head on the 9a so I'll stick with a complete 9a motor.

Cheers

Paul
    Last edited by sports racer; 28-02-2015 at 12:45 PM.

What are you going to be using to control the ignition, the kjet ignition module? You can just put the 9A dizzy in the ABF head, the elongated holes for adjustment are in the distributor body so it should work (although the ABF head may have less threaded holes in the head in that area). You can also pull apart the ABF dizzy and put the 4 window cookie cutter on, but you won't be able to turn the dizzy. Personally I would have just gone with the whole ABF. Its a great engine. Long rods = better rod ratio and less piston slap. I have had a KR and ABF in the same car, and the ABF is just superior. On the dyno it achieved the same power that the KR made but over 1000rpm earlier, then made more again after that. But the night and day difference was the torque low down. 9A should be much the same. You can't go wrong with a 2l 16v in a mk1.

Users Country Flag
    The ABF head only has holes for the bolts to hold the dizzy on, there's no adjustment. The KR and 9a heads are slotted so you can adjust the dizzy.

My ABF block has a score mark in one of the cylinders so needs a rebore, new pistons and rings. The 9a just needs a hone so (I'm hoping) I don't have to buy new pistons.

From what I've been reading the 9a is a really nice motor in a MK1, lots of power down low. The guys who have replaced their KR's with 9a's rave about them so I'll be happy with a 9a.

I can always rebuild the ABF later and have it for a spare.
    Last edited by sports racer; 28-02-2015 at 11:56 PM.

Looking good, mate. Next time you need a gasket kit let me know. I'll have a complete kit to you for about $200.

APR Tuned | KW Suspension | INA Engineering | Mocal Oil Control |
    Email: chris@tprengineering.com

Users Country Flag
    I got a gasket kit from Brian (GTI Imports) for that price a month ago. What I need now is oversize 9a pistons because my block needs a rebore.

Any idea where's the best place to look?

Users Country Flag
    Here's my "to do" list, not necessarily in order but at least it might prompt me to get out and do some work. Biggest problem is my MK2 is taking up any time I can find to work on cars.

Swap dash with one from the Seat Cupra.
    Install standard 1.6 which should make rego real easy
    Install 2.0 16v 9a (after rego)
    Fit 280mm front disks and calipers
    Fit rear disks
    Replace brake booster with a bigger one
    Replace all wiring and fusebox to suit the new dash and motor
    Fit 02a gearbox, hydraulic clutch and cable linkages
    reweld seat bases to lower the Recaros
    Find/fit Wolfsberg steering wheel
    Respray or vinyl wrap
    Fit flares and find some wide 15's to suit
    Engineers certificate

That should do for now. Most of the parts I can pinch from the Cupra and should make this a sweet, reliable MK1.

Cheers

Paul

Sounds easily achievable Paul.

Just say the word and I'll come out and spend some time with you and lend a hand and tools if required. Nice country get away I'll sleep in the van

Users Country Flag
    I'll definitely seek your expertise when it comes to the bodywork. If I can get it half as good as yours I'll be happy.

Users Country Flag

I'll come out there and help as well. Can sleep in the Van myself as well. If you need a hand.

Only The Good Die Young 45
    For a better ride, go WIDE!!!
    VS Commodore V6 Berlina- FOR SALE
    1979 Golf Mk1- http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/foru...one-92128.html

Page 73 of 79 FirstFirst ... 23637172737475 ... LastLast