Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1976 LS Rust and tim tams

Users Country Flag

Question 1976 LS Rust and tim tams

Hi

I have a question, its not the most exciting in the world im afraid

My question is about rust

At what point is rust a concern? I have a 1976 LS 5 door diesel that I picked up for 800 bucks and before I start anything major I would like to check the body out and do anything that needs doing now rather than later

Overall the car is pretty good, I have done a hammer test (tapped the inner wheel arch from the underside to see if it went straight through) and the only thing it seems to have left is a hole the size of a 5cent piece

The rear tailgate however sounds like I am crushing stale tim tams every time I shut the boot

So my question is, at what point is rust a concern on the MK1? is there any other major areas to check? is there any other tests that are a bit better than "the poke your finger through it" or "tap it with a hammer to see what happens"

I am a big fan of measure twice cut once, im not looking to rush it. Just looking to get it done properly so the car can last another 40 years (by which time bolt on hydrogen turbos will hopefully be common)

1976 LS Rust and tim tams-wp_20141129_001-jpg

1976 LS Rust and tim tams-wp_20141203_002-jpg

ELC
    Last edited by elcono; 03-12-2014 at 03:55 PM. Reason: make it bettttaaaarrrrr

Users Country Flag
    I'd be more concerned about the lack of engine than rust. That's likely to impact you more

Passenger footwell

Interesting question. I'll try to be brief.

Realistically, the car is a monocoq chassis, so at any point which the weakened metal begins to compromise the structure of the car, is really when you're going to have issues. However, rust, is called 'metal cancer' for a reason, as once you have it, it tends to spread. At the point in which the rust starts becoming an issues structurally, you probably would have wanted to deal with the rust, lets say a good 3-5 years before hand.

Tail gate isn't an "issue" as it's a bolt on part. I'd be more concerned about; floors, sills, A pillars, roof, firewall, chassis legs etc etc etc

i like volkswagens
    My blog: http://garagefiftythree.blogspot.com.au/

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Its a good thing at the moment. Points on the license means miss daisy is overtaking me. It was a ebay buy, the car turned up with the engine in the boot, and the gearbox in the footwell. No idea what they were trying to do to the car but as everything has been taken out its kind of forced my hand to get a new engine/gb/tranny in

The engine conversion doesn't bother me too much. Its more the plumbing. Everything has been removed so it is going to be a steep learning curve over the next few months

As much as I want to go against the grain and not do a 20v-T conversion, it just makes too much sense from a $ to HP perspective. I keep doing pros and cons but the 20v-T is just great bang for the buck

Quote Originally Posted by Jarred View Post
    Interesting question. I'll try to be brief.

Realistically, the car is a monocoq chassis, so at any point which the weakened metal begins to compromise the structure of the car, is really when you're going to have issues. However, rust, is called 'metal cancer' for a reason, as once you have it, it tends to spread. At the point in which the rust starts becoming an issues structurally, you probably would have wanted to deal with the rust, lets say a good 3-5 years before hand.

Tail gate isn't an "issue" as it's a bolt on part. I'd be more concerned about; floors, sills, A pillars, roof, firewall, chassis legs etc etc etc
    Brilliant

That's pretty much hit the nail on the head in terms of where I need to look/address this

I see a fair amount of people powdercoating bays. Would you have an idea of the longevity this adds? I.e would a powder coated engine bay last longer than say new panels welded in but left alone? (other than paint)

Also as it seems I am going to have to take some night classes in welding, is their alternative metals other than standard steel? I.e is their a lighter but just as strong metal that can be used should panels be repaired? I would rather drop chasis weight and run stock than be heavy and need a tune

Users Country Flag
    It would be very difficult to powder coat an engine bay, I'm not sure what process you're referring to.

Powder coating involves heating the part in an oven to about 200°C to fuse the powder and cure it.

It's possible to do if you strip the car to a bare shell and can find a powder coater with a big enough oven to fit the entire car in.

Powder coating doesn't fix rusty panels though, it's just more durable paint.

The steel in the Golf should be replaced with the same gauge of steel or you risk compromising safety.

VW made these cars as light as they could already, you're not going to be able to remove enough weight to make any sort of difference by using lighter materials in repair sections.

Put up pictures of any rusty areas you find on the car and we'll be able to advise on the severity and suggest the best way to repair it.

There's plenty of rust repair threads on here, have a bit of a search about to see whats involved.

All the threads in my signature will have rust repairs somewhere in them take a look at this one for starters Meet Ziggy - '79 GLD MK1
    79 MK1 Golf Wreck to Race / 79 MK1 Golf The Red Thread / 76 MK1 Golf Kamei Race Car
    7? MK1 Caddy
    79 B1 Passat Dasher Project
    12 Amarok

Apologies for the delay

This is what I am referring to. There is around a 1 inch hole. Everywhere else doesn't seem to bad.

I have gone through and read a fair amount of material, but I cant see anyone that has had to repair the inner arch, only outer arches

Is the process any different?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1976 LS Rust and tim tams-wp_20141230_004[1]-jpg   1976 LS Rust and tim tams-wp_20141230_004[1]-jpg  

Users Country Flag
    Start by grinding off the paint all around the hole so you can see how much you have to cut out and replace.

It is rusted from the inside out.Pull all the carpet and sound deadener out and the see what you find.Normally rust and lots of it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast