Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 100mm cv's on mk1 driveshafts

Users Country Flag

100mm cv's on mk1 driveshafts

I'm after some opinions from people that have put later 5 speed gearboxes with 100mm flanges into their mk1's.
    The two options seem to be replacing the whole driveshaft with later cabrio shafts or machining a recess into the mk1 shafts to accomodate the wider cv's.
    The second option seems the simplest and is what I'd like to acheive but there is not a lot of information or any that I can find of people that have actually done this and installed them. from the measurements I've taken they shouldn't need a great deal taken off but I am more curious as to whether the driveshafts are going to be the right length/if the offsets of the gearbox flanges differ

would be good to hear from a few people that have done the conversion and how they went about it before I pull them off the car.

the engine and gearbox I'm using are from a mk2 gti
    thanks in advance,
    Dan

Users Country Flag
    you can also swap the 100mm flanges off the 5 speed and put 90mm ones on and use your stock shafts
    <space for rent>

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    that is another option, however from what I've read the correct 90mm g/box flanges to swap onto an 020 are very hard to find? as the four speed 90mm are different

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by dubdan View Post
    that is another option, however from what I've read the correct 90mm g/box flanges to swap onto an 020 are very hard to find? as the four speed 90mm are different
    i couldnt tell ya mate, all i know is you can do it. Troll Vortex, i think i read something on it a few weeks back.
    <space for rent>

better off swapping the cv's anyway as the 100mm are far more durable.

hiho has done it I know for sure - but you are correct - you dont need to take much off. the main thing is to make sure that you still have some tension on the conic washer when it is all installed - so in other words dont take too much!

if you want ot swap the flanges, you need 90mm flanges from a 5 speed box. these arent that easy to come by, as there arent a lot of pre-mk2 5 speeds kicking around.

I have one 020 with 90mm flanges.
    Last edited by gldgti; 23-02-2012 at 04:22 PM.
    '07 Touareg V6 TDI with air suspension
    '98 Mk3 Cabriolet 2.0 8V
    '99 A4 Quattro 1.8T

This is something my Dad is working on atm. He has a 02J 5 speed (from an Audi A3 20v non-turbo) he is wanting to swap to 100mm CV's and in his case I think he needs the later model hubs/up-rights.

You just use the drive flange for the O2J thats 100 dia, I have the correct part number as I have these flanges for one of my O2j's.

Then you can use the std 100 mm axle and outer cv's.
    Lots of MK 1 Scirocco's...

If it aint a MK 1 then it must be a donor car ??

Cheers,
    Grant...

Just came across this old thread if anybody is interested, seems there have been a few people that have modified them with success

http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/foru...afts-6934.html

TO mod the Mk1 drive shafts to accept a 100mm mk3 inner CV joint you need to measure the thickness of the inner "race" of both the 90 and 100mm CV joints. The difference between the thicknesses is what you have to have machined off the shoulder. You will have to machine to the root of the splines so that the joint can slide right up to the shoulder that has been machined. You will understand this when you get it done....

dont forget the dished washer that goes on the shaft before the CV joint!!
    Beige 79 Mk1 GLD White 76 Mk1 LS 3 door
    White 68 Alfa 1750 Berlina Champagne 91 Alfa 75
    Red 09 9N3 Polo TDI White 2010 Skoda Octavia Combi TDI

yeah I know the process was more curious to the total lengths of the shafts being correct. I will probably do this tomorrow so will get a few photos along the way and put them in here for future reference.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast