Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Whats with the removable bluetooth screen thingie?

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mathemagician View Post
    Hi guys, after reading all the posts in this thread, I am still confused / I still have a few questions regarding my MY12.5 Polo GTI:

1) So IS there a way to completely bypass (w/o removing the cradle from the dash) the Touch Adapter and have a phone connect over Bluetooth directly to the RCD510 / the unit under the driver's seat?
    Yes, but you will need a VCDS cable for about 10 minutes. See the link in my sig for more info . You'll need to remove the touch screen but not the cradle.
    MY16 Octavia RS 162 Race Blue Combi

MY12 Skoda Octavia RS 147 Black Combi - Sold

Mathemagician:

1) Yes

2) no, you need to replace the whole panel (not impossible)

3) not sure as I don't have one if I did however, refer the previous answer

Stage 2+ Intercooler Carbon Intake Downpipe Swaybar DV+ Remsa.

Users Country Flag
    Thanks guys re 1) !

How bout 2) and 3) ?
    VW Polo GTI ~~ MY12.5 ~~ Flash Red ~~ Bi-Xenon ~~ Alcantara/Leatherette

Users Country Flag
    @gavs: You were a split second faster than me

So 2) is probably not worth it as it would probably cost a lot of $$$...

I'm thinking of getting that cradle I described in 3). It would cost 140 Euros (around $180) shipped through eBay though. Not sure yet if that extra bit of comfort / a regular phone cradle is worth that much money to me.

Users Country Flag
    Just how big would the hole be if the unit was fixed bit was removed? Does anybody have photos?
    Polo 77TSI MY12 | DSG | Candy White | Sports Pack | Comfort Pack | Leather | Sunroof |
    Ordered: Allocated build time - Week 26

Users Country Flag
    Re 3):

Just re-read the first page, and michaelrobinson explained in post #38 what the 2 buttons do:
    One enables voice control/command of the Mobile Preparation plus, and accepts/rejects calls, the other button dials a pre-programmed VW service telephone number. The buttons on the front also light up red (like the dash) when the headlights are turned on, and it charges the phone.

Users Country Flag
    iphone cradle from ebay arrived yesterday, do i really need VCDS to disable touch adapter? I just paired my iphone via bluetooth to the car, i can make calls and play music. Am i missing something?
    thanks guys.

RE Karl, nope, that is the sheer genius of VAG. Having a pointless connection and eyesore installed when it is not required with vehicles that contain the highline dash (the dash in GTI and optioned comfort line polos).

Mathemagician, for $180 I'm sure you can get the replacement panel for at least that, if not less!

Stage 2+ Intercooler Carbon Intake Downpipe Swaybar DV+ Remsa.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    iphone cradle from ebay arrived yesterday, do i really need VCDS to disable touch adapter? I just paired my iphone via bluetooth to the car, i can make calls and play music. Am i missing something?
    thanks guys.
    The unit doesn't have a cry because the touch adapter is missing, it has a cry because nothing is in the cradle. So since you replaced the touch adapter with the iPhone cradle it'll be fine.

*You only need to do VCDS coding if you want nothing in the cradle or using a non-VW branded Bury cradle*

ie. If you get another VW-Branded phone specific cradle, you do not need to do any coding. But if you get a cradle from Bury (who make the cradle system), you will need to code it.
    Last edited by readerr0r; 04-08-2012 at 10:19 AM.
    MY16 Octavia RS 162 Race Blue Combi

MY12 Skoda Octavia RS 147 Black Combi - Sold

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by gavs View Post
    Mathemagician, for $180 I'm sure you can get the replacement panel for at least that, if not less!
    You think so? I would've thought it would be more. Going to see my dealer on Friday - I shall enquire and let you guys know.

Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast