Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What's that noise!!

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Sorry to steal the tread back from you, kar2390.

Upon visiting my dealership today, I was advised that my car is completely within "perfect working parametres", so basically, the noise is completely normal. They could not replicate the noise on another Polo, although mine was perfectly audible.

I was also advised that there may be a little moisture in the catalytic converter caused by me not driving my vehicle hard enough. I was told to drive my car harder, and a vehicles engine is designed to reach the 6000rpm limit, therefore should reach at least 3500-4000rpm before every shift..... Sorry, was I just asked to drive my car up to 6000rpm...?! I rarely go over 2800, which is perfectly reasonable for ANY vehicle!

Upon gathering this information I got straight on the phone to VW customer care Australia, and was told not to follow the advice and go get a second opinion, which I will do... Upon gaining the second opinion, and the abnormal noise issue still being present, I am to call again and optain a case manager who can correspond with the dealership and tell them what to do until the issue is resolved.

I believe that people like me, show up to a dealership, they plug it into the computer. Upon doing so, if it returns normal, that's it, no more investigation will be undertaken. That is really really frustrating.
    I Sell Nissans Skodas.
    IT'S HEREEEEE 18' Skoda Octavia 110tsi Manual Hatch | Race Blue | Tech Pack | Luxury Pack | Panoramic Roof | Turini Alloys | Various VCDS Tweaks | RS Spoiler | Mars Bar Holder
    R.I.P; 13' VW Polo 77tsi Comfortline Manual | Candy White | Sport Pack | Pioneer AVH X3800DAB + Clarion Bass Pack

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by kar2390 View Post
    Sorry to steal your thread OP, the title seemed appropriate.

Would anyone happen to have a recording of what a normal 1.2 TSI engine should sound like at idle. I get paranoid every time I open the cars hood cause it sounds like a timing chain rattle. Its a 2010 model and I'm guessing its out of warranty.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    It probably is a timing chain rattle. My 2011 Polo 77Tsi 7Speed DSG had a timing chain and tensioner replacement at 70000Km.

Its just ticked over 102000Km and it sounds like another chain/tensioner is needing replacement

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoshimode View Post
    It probably is a timing chain rattle. My 2011 Polo 77Tsi 7Speed DSG had a timing chain and tensioner replacement at 70000Km.

Its just ticked over 102000Km and it sounds like another chain/tensioner is needing replacement
    Here is a Video of my car starting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFEd...ature=youtu.be

If you look around the top plastic part of the timing cover you can see the poor job they did when VW service department replaced it at 70000km. How hard is it to wipe away the excess solastic when its wet.
    Last edited by Yoshimode; 03-05-2014 at 12:51 PM.

Users Country Flag

If you look around the top plastic part of the timing cover you can see the poor job they did when VW service department replaced it at 70000km. How hard is it to wipe away the excess solastic when its wet.

I have just discovered today the Service Department has been using Valvoline "Durablend" oil in my car.........Can anyone tell me if this oli is approved for use with my car

Users Country Flag

Can you tell me mate, how often will it make this noise?

Is it every start up / when it's cold / when it's hot etc. I have a noise that sounds similar but not the exact same. Yours goes for much longer than mine by about 3 seconds and then fades out where mine just stops which leads me to believe that it's the turbo wastegate not the timing chain, but still some information would be useful in diagnosing it.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by nomadx38 View Post
    Can you tell me mate, how often will it make this noise?

Is it every start up / when it's cold / when it's hot etc. I have a noise that sounds similar but not the exact same. Yours goes for much longer than mine by about 3 seconds and then fades out where mine just stops which leads me to believe that it's the turbo wastegate not the timing chain, but still some information would be useful in diagnosing it.
    Its happening every start now. cold or warm (if left to sit for 5-10 minutes) although the dealer has had it for 5 days now and its only just made this noise according to them.

As far as the turbo wastegate goes, the service department placed a spacer in my turbo actuator when it was making similar noises as it does now, only to change the chain 5000km later

took a video of my polo starting up and idling for a bit and turning off, for you guys, incase you wanted to use it to go to VW with if they say "it's the same as other polo's.."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zj3_...ature=youtu.be
    I Sell Nissans Skodas.
    IT'S HEREEEEE 18' Skoda Octavia 110tsi Manual Hatch | Race Blue | Tech Pack | Luxury Pack | Panoramic Roof | Turini Alloys | Various VCDS Tweaks | RS Spoiler | Mars Bar Holder
    R.I.P; 13' VW Polo 77tsi Comfortline Manual | Candy White | Sport Pack | Pioneer AVH X3800DAB + Clarion Bass Pack

Users Country Flag
    Heres the video of my 77tsi cold start up and idle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjXifqjvygo

As per VW Australia I took it to another dealership this morning who heard the noise, then pretended there was nothing wrong and proceeded to inform me that even though he can hear something wrong, there is nothing wrong with the vehicle and will charge me for any time spent looking at the vehicle (car is less than a year old and under warranty)

That's okay, i'll leave the vehicle the way it is, only getting it serviced at it's intervals, not mentioning anything. If the thing ends up with some major issue. That's fine, they will be the ones paying.
    I Sell Nissans Skodas.

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by LukePolo View Post
    As per VW Australia I took it to another dealership this morning who heard the noise, then pretended there was nothing wrong and proceeded to inform me that even though he can hear something wrong, there is nothing wrong with the vehicle and will charge me for any time spent looking at the vehicle (car is less than a year old and under warranty)

That's okay, i'll leave the vehicle the way it is, only getting it serviced at it's intervals, not mentioning anything. If the thing ends up with some major issue. That's fine, they will be the ones paying.
    So long as it's noted on their system it's all that counts. I do the same with my DSG. It doesn't work properly, it's not bad but not perfect and I bring it to their attention every service. It's not bad enough for them to warrant work, but if there ever is a big problem I'll be chasing them up for work to be done.

Also with the timing chain you said you had yours replaced if im correct? Anyway the TPI does state that even after the new tentioner, holder and chain it can still rattle on startup. This is due more or less on engine design. The new chain holder is just designed so the chain can't pop off and throw off the timing.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast