Thread: Warranty queries

Warranty queries

I'm wondering if getting coilovers will void the 3 year warranty on my Polo entirely??
    Would love to lower it a bit as it sits a touch too high for me.

Also if anyone else has any questions about warranty, feel free to ask and hopefully someone who knows can help you out.

Users Country Flag
    I had no issues getting VW to look at my car. The service manager even complimented and asked about my coilovers
    Polo 6R GTI - Candy White | MY12.5 | 5 dr | Weitec Hicon GT | OZ Ultraleggera | SPOC - 1st Four

If it's a suspension related claim.. then coilovers will void that claim. EG a crack in a wheel.

If you're engine blows.. then you should be covered as it has nothing to do with the suspension.

If it's an extended warranty, well at least the one I was offered, then ANY modification will void the warranty unless the modification was agreed to by the supplier of the extended warranty. So read the PDS.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by redgoesfaster14 View Post
    I'm wondering if getting coilovers will void the 3 year warranty on my Polo entirely??
    The key word is "entirely" - VW have to prove that whatever failed is a direct result of the mods you made.

So if your exhaust falls off, no; but if a suspension component fails, then it probably won't be covered by warranty
    MY18 Golf 7.5R - Ecotune Stage 1
    Mazda RX2 - 13B Bridgeport GTX4202R

Users Country Flag
    I've yet to hear of VGA completely voiding a cars warranty, besides it being a repaired write-off.

Essentially, they just won't cover a repair or parts required, if its the result of non-standard parts failing, or causing a failure.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Exactly what I was hoping to be the case.
    The suspension would likely be covered by its own manufacturer warranty for all components for a specified amount of time anyway??

Good to know so I can start hunting around for some nice coilovers. I'll start by checking out some suspension threads. Thanks for all the helpful information.

Users Country Flag

Stop buying extended warranty and worrying about 'contracts' that limit warranty.

1. Under Australian consumer law, there is no minimum or maximum time for warranty, it rests on the type of good and what is a reasonable time a good should last. For example, given that a car is replaced every 6-7 years, it is reasonable for a consumer to expect that car to be free of manufacturing defects for 6-7 years.
    2. A seller is obligated to fix faults regardless of time.
    3. If they refuse, simply lodge a case in the small claims court making the point in 1. and 2., you are pretty much certain to get a judgement in favour. this only costs $100ish

If you read the many judgements from small claims, they have always ruled in favour of the consumer.

for example, a case where a flat screen TV died in the 3rd year, the warranty was for 2 years, the court made the case that a TV should last 6-7 years since that is the average time people replace them, and as such, the seller had to either replace, repair or refund 4/7 of the price paid (as the buyer only got 3 years of use from what should have beeen 7).

hence when buying new goods, i never buy warranty, you are already protected from faults under consumer law.

consumer law agencies have already said many times, extended warranty is a waste of money, and that limits to warranty is not fool proof, cosnumer law always overrides attempts to limit warranty.