Support VWWC

Thread: Wanting to replace OEM bulbs in headlights to LEDs or White Lights

Users Country Flag

Wanting to replace OEM bulbs in headlights to LEDs or White Lights

Hey there, wanting to change OEM bulbs in the headlights to LEDs or white lights. I’ve bought some for my DRLs, and just wanna match it up to look all nice. Just wanting to know what bulbs I require (Watts, sizes etc.) and where should I buy from?

Cheers

Users Country Flag
    Hi, You legally can't go to LED's unless you have a self levelling mechanism, but you can take the risk if you want to.I imagine that you have halogen bulbs and, if so you can source the globe to suit your car with up to a Plus 150. That means you will still have Halogen but the light will be increased by 150%. You will certainly notice the difference on unlit roads as they have a whiter ( not white) light and a broader spread. They cost about $90 for a pair at Supercheap plus $15 fitting. You can fit them yourself but $15 is a small price to pay. If they drop or break them it's their problem. Look in your specs in the owners manual to find the correct wattage before you rock down. Cheers

Users Country Flag

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Its a Polo View Post
    Hey there, wanting to change OEM bulbs in the headlights to LEDs or white lights. I’ve bought some for my DRLs, and just wanna match it up to look all nice. Just wanting to know what bulbs I require (Watts, sizes etc.) and where should I buy from?

Cheers
    Headlights seem to be H7 sockets, OEM halogen 55W, all 4 of them.

Replacing with any suitable (and white) H7 halogen is easy and simple. Just unplug-plug.

Replacing with LED is far more time consuming as it hardly fits inside the light fitting/compartment.

I bought them from eBay some time back; nowadays it takes for ever to get stock so it might not be best. Auto parts could be better.
    My set of LED is Philips X-tremeUltinon LED 6000K +200% LED-HL [H7] 12V 25W - probably very illegal

Best feature with these replacements is that the actual LED elements (4 on each side, 8 in total) protrude almost exactly as the filament of the halogen will be, so lighting is not too distorted. But 200% brighter

Besides brightness, lower power consumption is a big plus and, more importantly, heat generation is a lot lot less protecting the front acrylic lens (if heavy heavy use).

Happy mods!
    Last edited by LFO; 27-08-2020 at 10:58 PM. Reason: Adding temperature pluses