Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Topping out at Stage 2+?

Users Country Flag

Thanks for the info. I'm going to have to invest in a vag-com sooner or later.
    2012 Fabia II VRS Estate - APR stage 2 tune, Custom 2.5" turbo back full stainless exhaust with ceramic coated dump pipe, Harding Performance Cold air intake, Wagner Tuning Competition Intercooler, GFB DV+ diverter valve, Braille B2317RP battery, Eibach pro kit springs, Bilstein B8 shocks, Harding Performance F+R ARB, Super Pro bushes, Porsche 986 Boxster S front brake calipers, 330x28mm front rotors, Ferodo DS2500 front pads and Remsa rear pads, Enkei RPF1 17x8 et.35 with 235/40R17 Yokohama AD08R tyres, Maxton front splitter and Superskoda fender flares.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Oh, Polo & Fabia don't get an ESC on/off button on centre console behind the shifter? That's a pain.

Granted I've had mine off for all of several minutes in 18 months of driving, but it's there!
    2014 Audi A1 Sportback Sport
    APR Stage 2 - HP DQ200 DSG tune - Quaife DQ200 LSD - LuK RepSet 2CT clutch - VWR CAI - Wagner Competition FMIC - Milltek DP & resonated cat-back - HP F&R sways - Bilstein B14 coilovers - Tarox Sport Compact brake kit - GFB DV+ - Whiteline LCA bushings w/ +caster - SuperPro race dog bone insert - Fondmetal 9RR matt black 18x8" wheels - Michelin PSS 245/35R18 - gloss black RS honeycomb grille - OEM clear lensed LED tail lights

Users Country Flag
    The Fabia does have a ESC on/off button.
    2012 Fabia II VRS Estate - APR stage 2 tune, Custom 2.5" turbo back full stainless exhaust with ceramic coated dump pipe, Harding Performance Cold air intake, Wagner Tuning Competition Intercooler, GFB DV+ diverter valve, Braille B2317RP battery, Eibach pro kit springs, Bilstein B8 shocks, Harding Performance F+R ARB, Super Pro bushes, Porsche 986 Boxster S front brake calipers, 330x28mm front rotors, Ferodo DS2500 front pads and Remsa rear pads, Enkei RPF1 17x8 et.35 with 235/40R17 Yokohama AD08R tyres, Maxton front splitter and Superskoda fender flares.

Users Country Flag
    I put the GFB DV+ in this morning along with the Forge intake. In the very short drive it appear to hold boost a little better and it appears to have a little flutter now?? The sound is a little different too. I've only driven for about 5 minutes so will see how it all goes.

If it has an engine or heartbeat it's going to cost you. | Refer a Friend - AussieBroadband $50 Credit

Fitting a CAI and a DV at the same time it's going to be hard to pin down which is responsible for the sound change!
    My VWR intake certainly changed how mine sounds.

My big install day has finally arrived tomorrow morning, I'll be rolling up to CVWC as the shutters open and leaving my baby with them for the whole day. FMIC, full Milltek, front and rear sways, coilovers, DV+ and the LCA bushings.

Can't wait to see how it feels when I drive it out of there in the afternoon!

Then I've got an alignment booked first thing Tues
    APR Stage 2 - HP DQ200 DSG tune - Quaife DQ200 LSD - LuK RepSet 2CT clutch - VWR CAI - Wagner Competition FMIC - Milltek DP & resonated cat-back - HP F&R sways - Bilstein B14 coilovers - Tarox Sport Compact brake kit - GFB DV+ - Whiteline LCA bushings w/ +caster - SuperPro race dog bone insert - Fondmetal 9RR matt black 18x8" wheels - Michelin PSS 245/35R18 - gloss black RS honeycomb grille - OEM clear lensed LED tail lights

Users Country Flag
    Man, what a list! It's going to be like Christmas for you jimmedy.

Will probably take a few days for the ECU to learn and adjust to the new goods hey? (Intercooler, Exhaust)

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmedy View Post
    Fitting a CAI and a DV at the same time it's going to be hard to pin down which is responsible for the sound change!
    I've had the intake for a long while, I tend to take it off when it bothers me then put it back in place when I feel the need for some more noise It should add a few hp, but the trade off is noise.

For reference, all running stage 1:

Stock Airbox Sounds:

Intake Only:

When I get a chance I'll switch the tune off and take a new video with the CAI + DV+ with the stock tune to see how much difference that makes. Given it ups the boost AND how early it kicks in I think it will be a bit. There is a thread over here with a Jetta 118TSI with a stock tune + APR CAI which is much much quieter than mine, check it out for comparison:
    Air intake question

If it has an engine or heartbeat it's going to cost you. | Refer a Friend - AussieBroadband $50 Credit

Users Country Flag
    Wow, that's sounds so different.

So are you saying the Forge intake sound gets to you after a while? I reckon it sounds great.

Is the hp/response noticeable at all with the forge, or is it purely sound? I guess a few hp extra would be virtually impossible to notice.

My HP intake and exhaust get fitted Monday next week...

I should probably film some before videos this week.

*long post ahead, covers the good and bad of my Stage 2 experience so far*

Well holy hell, what a fun little machine I now own! I could scarcely wipe the smile off my face after finally just going for a 'spirited' shakedown drive tonight, if not for a tiny issue that arose in the last moments of the drive and a quick examination of the car on arriving home (more on that in a minute).

Fitment day began yesterday morning. At drop off, the guys at CVWC offered to take my car for the alignment for me so I wouldn't drive it 'wonky' and it could all be rolled into one bill. Sure I thought. I'd planned to be without it all day anyway and I couldn't give it the shakedown til after the alignment the next day, so no practical difference to me. Thought I'd have it back by about 9am this morning...

Anyway, fast forward to this afternoon, a few ETA's they'd given me had come and gone, then I had some commitments of my own and I finally got the car back @ about 4:45pm. Then an amusing practical problem arose - my little A1 had no chance in hell of fitting the 3 large boxes of bits that came *off* my car!

Very, very conveniently I had relos over for dinner waiting back at home, including my Dad with his trusty Commodore wagon.
    Parked the A1 at home, zipped back with the Commodore before closing time, piled the spares on board. Family dinner followed.

Several distracted hours later I rolled out onto the dark Canberra roads and had my 20 minute grin-inducing jaunt around some of the new subdivisions with no houses and no traffic..... it was only as I was rolling back into the built up areas I was sitting at a red light and heard a rather scary noise. For the first few seconds I didn't realise it was even my car, thinking maybe the 4WD in the lane beside me. But just as I figured out it WAS me, the light went green and when I took my foot off the brake the noise stopped - otherwise I would have pulled over then and there.

I was curious to reproduce it and tried all sorts of throttle positions and braking down the final bit of road to my building and couldn't reproduce it. Pulling up to a stop for my security swipe thingy for my garage though, the noise came back, and with a vengeance! And this time it didn't stop when I released the brake. I rolled inside, into my space, stopped, handbrake, park. The noise continued all the while.

Ignition off quickly, now quite concerned, and I then got a very clear idea of the issue - the sound didn't stop immediately with the ignition but slowed....

Bonnet open and torch on, my first suspicion was confirmed - an insulated cable running between the new DP and the radiator fan was hitting the fan blades!!! It sits on a small metal bracket and it may actually be the very edge of the metal bracket touching and not the softer cable insulation.

No major damage done but there is visible evidence of contact on the fan blades - tiny markings in the same spot on each fan blade. Shouldn't affect fan performance if I get the bracket away from it and manage to secure it to something. Engine was way too hot to do anything with tonight. Clearances in that engine bay were tight enough before I went and added all this stuff!

Interesting that it survived some quite hard driving first. I guess the fans are only part time when you come back to low speeds and the air pressure from forward motion alone isn't enough to cool the heat soak... Anyway, I'll call the guys at 8am and get it adjusted.

More thorough inspection time.... Issue 2 turns out to be that the front tires are rubbing the guards. A moment of panic set in as I saw the discolouration of the rolled under portion of the front guards. In the light I thought momentarily they'd taken paint off to bare metal! But, thankfully (?) they've actually deposited rubber on top of the paint instead, which with a bit of a firm rub came off. Still, given time it will take off the paint and I need to resolve it. The ride height looks *amazing* but I might have to give back 15mm or so.

The final issue was a bit of a disappointment at bill payment time and not CVWC's fault....
    I'll mention it here briefly but I'm also going to fire off an email to Guy_H echoing the below;

I got slugged $375 today for them to add the 'test pipe' file to my Stage 1 tune, to make it 'Stage 2'.
    This was after being told time and again it would be free if I took the APR upgrade path; at least wherever possible.
    Apparently I had to pay because my down pipe wasn't 'APR'.

The issue of course is that, with the exception of people finding a discontinued item in stock with one of the interstate dealers, the APR parts for our twin chargers are all officially discontinued!

I already had APR Stage 1, a VWR intake (sourced from HP/APR in Brisbane), and a HP DSG tune. Just a couple months old.
    This week I added the full Milltek (HP/APR Brisbane), HP sways front and rear (HP/APR Brisbane).
    I've spent about $7500 on APR/HP and Milltek - who they distribute.

That doesn't include the full day of labour, the coilovers and the intercooler which I sourced myself - again, no other choice for the twin charger.

I'm a bit pissed about this $375, I feel like it's milking the customer just a little *too* hard.
    I say I don't blame CVWC because from what they said, when you grab the 'test pipe' file from the APR server you have the opportunity to enter in a serial number from an APR downpipe, which sets the price to 'free'. If you don't have a serial number to provide, then the 'Stage 2' tune comes at a price.

I'm annoyed for two reasons; firstly, there were never any strings attached to several conversations I've had myself and read 3rd hand about APR Stage 2. I've never read about anyone else paying for one.
    But, even so, even if it's linked to an APR downpipe, they're discontinued for my engine and I had to pick something else.
    I would have hoped picking a full Milltek and sourcing it through the same company might have qualified....

Anyway, that's my rant over for tonight. I'm going to try and address these minor issues tomorrow and report back with maybe some pics / vids and more detailed reviews on my various part selection. Short version though, it's incredible And the sound! Thank god I held out for resonated cat back, it has plenty of volume and crackle for a daily driver!!!! I'm still getting DSG 'farts' on upshift in WOT between 2nd and 4th, and the growl is amazing. So non-res might have gotten me in trouble!
    Last edited by jimmedy; 27-10-2015 at 10:53 PM.

Alright, another update and I'm very glad to say I'm 3 for 3 with the issues from yesterday all being solved!
    All were handled with much professionalism and good will!

Increasingly nervous about my imminent road trip, I rang CVWC at 8:01am, explained the metal bracket fouling the fan and the tires fouling the front arches and they told me to come in around lunch time. I did just that, and while I went for a brief walk to the mall nearby, car was straight up on the hoist and an hour later we were good to go!

Bracket that crosses in front of the DP looks to now be out of the way with enough clearance that heat expansion shouldn't put it in harms way again.

Coilovers, we're only wound up about 15mm at the front, and you can hardly tell by eyeballing it - I had to measure. But I'm hoping it's enough.... I'll clean the guards tonight where there's some build up then tomorrow when I stop for fuel / snacks whatever on my way to Melb, I'll run a finger under the arch and see if the rubber is back. I couldn't hear it / feel it even yesterday, it was only the residue that gave it away. So fingers crossed I don't hit anything sharply enough while the wheels are orientated away from straight that's going to rip my front 1/4 panel off!

Finally, I fired off an email to Guy_H last night right after posting here, having a bit of a whinge at the Stage 2 'fee'. Ever the professional he wrote back to me this morning and Cc'd CVWC in saying there'd been some miscommunication and while there is a fee for 'Stage 2', the test pipes file should've been free. It's literally that simple.

It was down to the actual name of the file on the APR server. Because CVWC grabbed a file called 'Stage 2' when they applied my update, the APR software said there's a price attached to that. On the twincharger though, that file is redundantly sitting alongside the test pipes file, which is the one they should have grabbed.

The net result is the same when installed on the car, but one of them tells the operator to bill the customer, and one doesn't.

It becomes more relevant on some of the other engines where the Stage 2 map changes more parameters, so once Guy_H explained it all to me, I do get why APR do what they do.

Long story short, the $375 was refunded on the spot, which lets me breathe a little easier and enjoy a few extra beers this weekend

I've got a passenger riding with me to Melb and back so I'll deputise him as my photographer and grab some video maybe of the new exhaust crackle and the acceleration at WOT!

Big thanks to the CVWC team and Guy_H @ APR.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast