Support VWWC

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Topping out at Stage 2+?

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jimmedy View Post
    Along with everything else we have picked a very similar parts list, hey?

I haven't tackled brakes yet. I'm outta money thanks to the pile of bits going on the car next week.
    I'm tossing up if I just do uprated pads and race fluid, or I go for the Tarox 323mm 6 pot kit. In either case... not until well into 2016.
    Yep spent alot of time online reading different builds from overseas but like you I found myself looking at it from a more Australian prosective. Wagner intercooler and GFB diverter + have been on the car for over a year now and have fix the overboost issue I would get at 160km/h changing from 4th to 5th at Wakefield.

In regards to brakes, pads and race fluid are not enough for any serious motorsport. After a day at the track my brakes would rubbish. Even had a pad disintegrate off the backing after repeated heavy use. As for the next upgrade, planning on fitting some Porsche Cayman calipers with adaptor kit from the UK.
    2012 Fabia II VRS Estate - APR stage 2 tune, Custom 2.5" turbo back full stainless exhaust with ceramic coated dump pipe, Harding Performance Cold air intake, Wagner Tuning Competition Intercooler, GFB DV+ diverter valve, Braille B2317RP battery, Eibach pro kit springs, Bilstein B8 shocks, Harding Performance F+R ARB, Super Pro bushes, Porsche 986 Boxster S front brake calipers, 330x28mm front rotors, Ferodo DS2500 front pads and Remsa rear pads, Enkei RPF1 17x8 et.35 with 235/40R17 Yokohama AD08R tyres, Maxton front splitter and Superskoda fender flares.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by spare View Post
    mmmRacer, your car sounds like quite the potent little beast! What's your thoughts on the GFB DV+?

While on the topic of all possible upgrades, how do you find the DSG Tune?
    It's something I've contemplated for ages, but just finding hard to part the cash with at this stage.
    The GFB diverter + is a must have for any car with a stage 1 or 2 tune. It just makes the throttle much more responsive.

I too am curious about the DSG tune.
    2012 Fabia II VRS Estate - APR stage 2 tune, Custom 2.5" turbo back full stainless exhaust with ceramic coated dump pipe, Harding Performance Cold air intake, Wagner Tuning Competition Intercooler, GFB DV+ diverter valve, Braille B2317RP battery, Eibach pro kit springs, Bilstein B8 shocks, Harding Performance F+R ARB, Super Pro bushes, Porsche 986 Boxster S front brake calipers, 330x28mm front rotors, Ferodo DS2500 front pads and Remsa rear pads, Enkei RPF1 17x8 et.35 with 235/40R17 Yokohama AD08R tyres, Maxton front splitter and Superskoda fender flares.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by mmmRacer View Post
    The GFB diverter + is a must have for any car with a stage 1 or 2 tune. It just makes the throttle much more responsive.
    Very interesting regarding the GFB DV+.

I read a thread elsewhere (have the link here, but not sure if there's rules on pasting URL's from other VW forums?) where there was a post quoted from GFB themselves that says that, in short, if you have a fully functioning stock DV this mod offers no real advantage.

"Now, performance gains – the DV+ can’t offer any more than the turbo is providing. This means if your factory diverter is ok, you’re not going to see any massive boost gains.""We’ll never claim a power gain over a perfectly functioning factory diverter valve, that’s just not true."

Users Country Flag
    The better responsiveness comes from when you modulating the throttle while on boost. It does not add any power.

Users Country Flag
    The better responsiveness comes from when you modulating the throttle while on boost. It does not add any power.
    Are you running the spring and does it give you any fault codes?

If it has an engine or heartbeat it's going to cost you. | Refer a Friend - AussieBroadband $50 Credit

Users Country Flag
    Used to get fault codes with stage 1 and it would go into limp mode. So would have to turn the motor off to reset. Then fitted gfb diverter + and no more fault codes. Now stage 2 and still fine.

Spring will need to double check.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Wagner intercooler and GFB diverter + have been on the car for over a year now and have fix the overboost issue I would get at 160km/h changing from 4th to 5th at Wakefield.

In regards to brakes, pads and race fluid are not enough for any serious motorsport. After a day at the track my brakes would rubbish. Even had a pad disintegrate off the backing after repeated heavy use. As for the next upgrade, planning on fitting some Porsche Cayman calipers with adaptor kit from the UK.
    Lol, I've only been past 160 a couple of times, in places where, while I decided it was 'safe' to do so, Mr Plod would still beg to differ.
    Serious motorsport isn't really on the agenda, but, for anyone familiar with some of the 'fun' roads around ACT and this area of NSW - Clyde Mountain, Brown Mountain, Jamberoo Mountain, Kangaroo Valley Road, Mountain Creek Road, Alpine Way between Thredbo and Khancoban... etc.... I just want enough stopping power to avoid serious fade and pull me up quickly at the blind corners where you can't risk taking the line you'd like to.

So I was looking at Tarox in a kit, just on the basis I don't have to mix and match parts and they're rated to work with the existing master cylinder.

I too am curious about the DSG tune.
    It is a lot of money. I think because it gets a low volume of customers and the units that connect to the DSG to actually achieve the software download/upload are like $9000 each or something and there's about 3 that they express post around the country to APR dealers based on customers booking a DSG remap. They all 'belong' to HP HQ in Brisbane.
    So a lot of the cost to customers is paying off their R&D and their overheads, and sometimes that's just the way things go with low volume products.

Aside from the money though it seems to do what it claims. There's things that are noticeable and things you have to take their word on. It makes 'D' more useable and you get back the use of first gear. Before my remap the DSG would shift into 2nd sometimes at only 8-10kph. First was barely any use except for sitting at the red lights. Now 1st holds til the high teens in casual driving and into the 20's when launching harder. ESC plays a part though, because if you really put the boot in to the point your wheels want to spin, I think ESC is still trumping the DSG and puts you into 2nd before you are anywhere near the risk of revving out. These are just casual observations, I guess I could find a quiet bit of road and do some more methodical testing of shift points and behaviours at different throttle, ESC on vs off.

Sport mode (in the Audi, not sure if we're starting from the same base?) is actually brought down a little. Sport mode really would rev the sh*t out of your engine when driven hard. It's actually made slightly *less* aggressive.
    Despite Sport mode now being better, D is so good now, that I use Sport a lot less than I used to.

Other claims are that the torque limiter is lifted - this I can vouch for and this actually turned out to be where I found the most 'value' - I drove around for a couple of days with just Stage 1 tune while my DSG file was downloaded from my car and emailed away for the guys in Brisbane to tune but not yet re-uploaded.
    Under WOT from low speed the sensation was that the DSG was holding the car back. The engine had more to give but it couldn't get down to the road. I describe it as 'squirmy'. The feeling was a bit like the way torque steer feels but not left to right, but almost like the car was 'pulsing' as the power from the engine kept bumping against the torque limiter, dropping back and hitting it again. When I say pulsing I mean quite rapidly. It was just an odd feeling coming through the steering wheel and pedals when accelerating hard from low speed. It didn't feel dangerous but it didn't feel great and I suspect over weeks/months it wouldn't be good for the box.

DSG tune went on and that entire hard-to-explain sensation disappeared. Now the car just takes off with the pedal buried in the wall.

The last claim is improved clutch clamping to protect the box a bit during launches. I can't really feel that going on but I'm taking their word for it and it gives me a bit of peace of mind in a tuned car.

That's my understanding too. It doesn't *add* to your total power, but retains boost pressure which keeps you in your power band more effectively.
    2014 Audi A1 Sportback Sport
    APR Stage 2 - HP DQ200 DSG tune - Quaife DQ200 LSD - LuK RepSet 2CT clutch - VWR CAI - Wagner Competition FMIC - Milltek DP & resonated cat-back - HP F&R sways - Bilstein B14 coilovers - Tarox Sport Compact brake kit - GFB DV+ - Whiteline LCA bushings w/ +caster - SuperPro race dog bone insert - Fondmetal 9RR matt black 18x8" wheels - Michelin PSS 245/35R18 - gloss black RS honeycomb grille - OEM clear lensed LED tail lights

Users Country Flag
    That was a really good and informative review on the DSG tune, thanks Jimmedy!

Might have to look into it down the line as a kind of last hurrah.

Users Country Flag
    Thanks for the DSG review Jimmedy. I have a bit of a problem at present accelerating out of tight corners on the track. Sometimes the car will cut the power for a second or 2 before it gets full power/torque and starts pulling hard again. Paul from MullerHaus had been suggesting to me that I should be looking at a DSG tune next and now I can see a bit more clearly why. So may be a toss of the coin to see if it is the brakes or DSG tune gets done next.

As for a top speed I will be down a Cooma next month to bet The_Hawk's best....hahaha. It should give everyone a good idea of where a tuned twincharger stands against some tuned Golf R's. Highest speed so far is 195km/h down the straight at SMP.

Users Country Flag

mmmRacer, I had issues with powercuts which I put down to the traction control kicking in.

I don't know about the Fabia, but in the Golf if you have the later ABS module it's possible to code out the EPS/ESC. Check out this old thread:
    APR Tuned Vehicles - Question for you

If it has an engine or heartbeat it's going to cost you. | Refer a Friend - AussieBroadband $50 Credit

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast