Thread: Stage 1 6C and clutch issues

Users Country Flag

Stage 1 6C and clutch issues

Advice for those seeking Stage 1 on the 6C.
    I have just tuned my MY16 6C with 60k on the clock.
    The stock clutch was working fine pre-tune but is seriously letting go with the tune.
    Totally understand you have to pay to play, but I am dissapointed the clutch could not handle the extra power for even a tank of fuel.
    Any advice on an affordable upgrade appreciated.
    My last ride was Stage 1 MK4 GTI and stock clutch lasted over 200k of spirited driving before I sold it.
    Do these Polos have weak clutches?
    Cheers
    MK4 GTI Revo Stage 1 / BFI Dogbone Mounts / 710N DV

Users Country Flag
    I know with manual Mk5, Mk6 and Mk7 GTI and R Golf's that the clutches cannot handle the torque increase that a basic stage 1 tune brings - so not surprised to hear the Polo suffers the same issue.

Most tuning companies offer a low torque version of the stage 1 tune for manual cars with standard clutches. Might be worth seeing if they can flash the low torque version of the tune on for you.

Otherwise.....

You should be able to get away (given the low km's on the car and the fact that its just started to slip) to reuse the dual mass flywheel and just upgrade the pressure plate and clutch disk.

Sachs is the OEM clutch manufacturer, and they offer a heavy duty version with more clamping power to withstand extra torque. Otherwise theres NPC, Xtreme, Exedy etc. What does your mechanic recommend?

This upgraded 550nm clutch kit should be more than enough for what you need:

Sachs Performance Clutch Kit – VW MK7 Golf / Skoda Octavia – AutoInstruct
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    I know with manual Mk5, Mk6 and Mk7 GTI and R Golf's that the clutches cannot handle the torque increase that a basic stage 1 tune brings - so not surprised to hear the Polo suffers the same issue.

Most tuning companies offer a low torque version of the stage 1 tune for manual cars with standard clutches. Might be worth seeing if they can flash the low torque version of the tune on for you.

Otherwise.....

You should be able to get away (given the low km's on the car and the fact that its just started to slip) to reuse the dual mass flywheel and just upgrade the pressure plate and clutch disk.

Sachs is the OEM clutch manufacturer, and they offer a heavy duty version with more clamping power to withstand extra torque. Otherwise theres NPC, Xtreme, Exedy etc. What does your mechanic recommend?

This upgraded 550nm clutch kit should be more than enough for what you need:

Sachs Performance Clutch Kit – VW MK7 Golf / Skoda Octavia – AutoInstruct
    Harding Performance HD Clutch and Flywheel Kit - 6C Polo GTI/S1 - Harding Performance

Users Country Flag

Stage 1 6C and clutch issues

That clutch is made in Mexico so no doubt Harding Performance put a sticker on someone elses product and stick it in a nice box and put a nice markup on it.

Its also a single mass flywheel which drives most people insane with the rattling noise they make at idle.
    Last edited by Lucas_R; 01-11-2021 at 06:54 PM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Can the Sachs performance clutch come with a new DMF or SMF?
    Is it really safe to trust the existing OEM DMF?

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by bullsta View Post
    Can the Sachs performance clutch come with a new DMF or SMF?
    Is it really safe to trust the existing OEM DMF?
    Contact AutoInstruct (or your preferred Sachs supplier) to ask them what the options are. Your original DMF should be perfectly fine with only 60,000km on it but you can always replace it when doing the clutch if you want.

The mechanic can check the condition of the DMF when changing the clutch, and you can decide whether to replace it or not.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST