Support VWWC

Thread: Removing the Airbag

Users Country Flag

Removing the Airbag

Hi, I have a Polo 2015 66TSI 6R Trendline. The horn has failed and I have traced the problem down to the Squid. In order to replace the squib I need to remove the airbag. I have searched all the videos on removing the airbag. However, most videos relate to older models or other VW models (e.g. Golf, Jetta). Nothing on my Polo. None of the videos I find match what I see on my steering wheel when looking how to release the airbag springs. Can anyone offer any advice please? I hesitate fiddling with it, unless I am clear on how to go about things. Any instructions or videos on how to do it would be very much appreciated. Once I know how to do it I will video and share with others.

Users Country Flag
    How to remove the Airbag from a VW Polo 6r 2011 - YouTube

make sure you disconnect the battery so you have that final insurance that you wont get your face re-arranged.

Users Country Flag
    Easy - i have removed quite a few steering wheels from airbag equipped cars (including VW such as my old Mk6 R). The process is the same really regardless of make and model of the car.

If its anything like my Golf you will need some Torx bits to remove the screws that hold the airbag in place. Like this: https://www.bunnings.com.au/kincrome...t-set_p6060174

Just disconnect the battery first so there is no power, then there are either some screws or clips holding the airbag in (accessible from behind/under the wheel) and then out it comes. Couple of wires on the back to disconnect.

Store the airbag facing upwards and not near you incase it goes off (very very unlikely but you never know).

Do what you need to to and then refit everything. Reconnect battery power as the last thing.
    Last edited by Lucas_R; 07-08-2020 at 03:43 PM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Hi sambb, Thank you. I have seen that video and others. It is an older model and does not reflect what is behind my steering wheel. There are no access holes to release the airbag spring. I will post a picture once I can get back to my car. On the other hand, my golf has the access holes and it look straight forward.

Thanks Lucas. I will have a look for the torx screws. It's not like the Golf. I have a Golf as week and the access to the airbag spring release is easy, but the Polo, for some reason, is different.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by bernardo View Post
    Hi, I have a Polo 2015 66TSI 6R Trendline. The horn has failed and I have traced the problem down to the Squid.
    I had a similar problem with a similar Polo but it happened to be the horn itself. Which was duly replaced under warranty.

In my situation, when pressing the steering wheel switch/horn I was able to hear a faint click (as from a relay being activated) from underneath the dashboard, right hand side.
    Just my experience.

Cheers

Hi LFO, Thanks for the info. I also thought that it was the horn itself. I removed the horn and tested it, and it worked fine. My investigation led me back to the squib.

Removing Airbag Polo 6R 2015

I found a YouTube clip that correctly shows how to removed the airbag for may Polo 6R 2015. It relates to a Jetta of the same year and the airbag setup is the same. See the link below. I hope this helps others.

From all the videos I have seen for different years and models of Polo/Golf, the principle is the same but how the airbag is clipped in is slightly different.

2015 VW Jetta driver Airbag removal - YouTube