Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Polo R speculation/information thread

Users Country Flag

Polo R speculation/information thread

Hey Guys. Hope there isn't already a thread on this. Did a search but "Polo R" didn't bring up any specific threads.

WorldCarFans has posted an article on the upcoming Polo R.

The information in here is that:
    - It will be released in 2012
    - It will feature a turbo charged 1.6L motor
    - It will have 156kw
    - It will not be AWD as the PQ25 platform does not allow it.

So what do you think?

My personal thoughts are that if it doesn't have AWD and it only has 156kw, it'd have to have some other special reason to get that over the new Polo GTI with 132kw coming out supposedly at the end of this year

Re: Polo R speculation/information thread

Yeah sounds pointless when you could retune a Polo GTI or an APR retuned Golf GTI would give you 189kW.

Users Country Flag
    No AWD = why bother?
    As you so rightfully stated, the GTI will be close to this and with a tune will be over that limit, so why pay another 5-10k for an R badge and a different bodykit?

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by team_v View Post
    No AWD = why bother?
    Well, you could say the same about the Scirocco R, yet there are many people here who would love one!

Users Country Flag
    Lack of AWD isn't an issue, it's that low power that's the issue here.

TBH, the handling of the AWD VW models bore the living crap out me and are hardly worth the premium (particularly evident in the new Golf R)
    Previous Rides: Polo GTI, Mx5 10AE, MY05 WRX WRP10, Renault Sport Clio 172
    Current Ride: Evo 8 MR, Fabia MK3

Re: Polo R speculation/information thread

^I agree they are predominantly FWD anyway and still over steer as well as consume an extra ~10 to 12% drivetrain loss, plus the added weight of AWD takes some of the shine off.

Users Country Flag
    I understand that the VW AWD system isn't overly "enjoyable" however, i would want to be getting a bit more than 15kw and a new bodykit if i was upgrading from a Polo GTI to a Polo R.

The Polo R as yet fails to offer anything over a GTI for the money.
    If it was AWD and/or came loaded to the hilt with options (xenon's, leather, RNS510, sunroof, lightweight wheels etc) then it could be a competitive option, however you are then getting up in price so you might consider an Imprezza or A3/Golf.

No AWD like big brother Golf R? Pfft...why bother VW......
    Revotechnik stage 1 flash, BC Sports coilovers, Lenso Type M's, APR R1 diverter valve

Users Country Flag
    I speculate its a Europe only model as it is to close to Golf GTI in specs.
    - Ben

1961 Karmann Ghia Coupé - 1993 Golf Cabriolet - 2006 Golf Comfortline 1.9L TDI
    2008 Jetta 2.0L FSI

Quote Originally Posted by G-rig View Post
    Yeah sounds pointless when you could retune a Polo GTI or an APR retuned Golf GTI would give you 189kW.
    I dont think VW are in the business of selling cars just to have them reflashed by a third party... I am assuming this is yet another product pushed by the marketing dept to bolster up the new R Division. I agree AWD would be more a worthy proposition, but if the chassis design cannot support it, would anyone pay 40-50K for a jazzed up Polo, when you could buy a GTI for that dosh?

I concur with Phaeton, more than likely this is probably going to be a domestic market offering - something we will never see beyond magazines or youtube.
    '03 Bora V6 4motion ~ CC Flash ~ Neuspeed F&R ARB ~ .:R optioned - Bilsteins,Springs,shifter,steering ~ Tyrol Brake kit ~ EVOMS CAI

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast