Support VWWC

Thread: Polo GTI strange issue

Polo GTI strange issue

Hi guys and girls,

I have a bit of an issue with my Polo GTI 6R. Today I was parked on the roof of a shopping centre when a thunderstorm hit. Absolutely bucketed down! Noticed the power steering light came on and lost assisted steering, then I lost air conditioning, then the battery light came on. I tried to limp it home, I’m under 1km from the shop. I thought I’d make it back but nope. The car bucked and I had all neutrals. Couldn’t move. It was idling weirdly at 1k. Switched the car off and it failed to restart.

any ideas? It’s currently still on the side of the road waiting on my friend to get back from work.

Users Country Flag
    Sounds to me like you've got yourself a dead battery. Modern cars rely heavily on the battery to run all of the computers, sensors and other electronics so when the battery starts to die you get all types of weird electrical issues.

How old is the current battery that is in the car?
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    Sounds to me like you've got yourself a dead battery. Modern cars rely heavily on the battery to run all of the computers, sensors and other electronics so when the battery starts to die you get all types of weird electrical issues.

How old is the current battery that is in the car?

Hi Lucas_R, thanks for your response. I think you may be correct. I managed to get it home after jump starting it twice along the route. There was also a scraping sound coming from the motor, I suspect the alternator has died and the bearings are shot. The alternator was actually replaced around 3yr ago by vw. The battery is 18 months old. I’m going to check out the alternator tomorrow and order a new one if it’s that. Will most likely replace the battery too. My friends dad works for century and can do a print out on its condition for me, but I think it’s done. It’s just really weird how it all happened as the rain hit. Coincidental maybe ��. I’ll report back my findings.