Page 49 of 226 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999149 ... LastLast

Thread: Polo GTI High Oil Usage - Discussion Thread

Users Country Flag

Gavs, I agree about the low viscosity of the oil to reduce internal loss of energy, but if the oil is burned it means that something (rings or scrapers) don't work properly...
    5W30 is low viscosity and it's more and more used to reduce fuel consumption, but it's only referred to cuncossions and pumping, not friction on the cylinders walls. Any modern oil guarantees no direct contact from iron to iron...

Furthermore the very different behaviour on the same engine from one to another it means that there is something wrong: I mean that some GTIs don't burn oil and others a lot...
    If it was a project choice all of the 1.4TSI should burn oil almost in the same way...

Again like I said, good concept, poor execution.

Stage 2+ Intercooler Carbon Intake Downpipe Swaybar DV+ Remsa.

Quote Originally Posted by kelal View Post
    Surprised it took that long, mine started after about 3500km had just over 7000km when they changed it yesterday.
    Yeah, I thought I'd gotten lucky and it wasn't going to happen...no such luck.

How's yours since the work was done? Did they outline what they did? As far as I could see they still don't really have a fix for it but would be happy to be proven wrong!

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by alias_vw View Post
    How's yours since the work was done? Did they outline what they did? As far as I could see they still don't really have a fix for it but would be happy to be proven wrong!
    only picked mine up at 9am today, no more squeaks!!!! I was picking it up tuesday but was delayed until wed arvo which i said no too, didnt want to sit in 1hr of traffic with storms around knowing my luck it would have hailed. They did not give me any paperwork at all, was told by service rep that it was the revised pump same as the latest fix for the 118tsi golf. Was told monday I would start the oil consumption test but told today no test required as they recorded the oil they put in at my last driveway service used whatever volume the dipstick is in under 800kms so car is no booked in for march 19 to get rings and whatever else they do replaced. They want the car for 10 days so I'm betting they will have it for 2-3weeks going on previous experiences.
    2011 Polo GTI black, audio, comfort pack, xenons, leather, alarm, sunroof, bluetooth. Picked up!!!!

Just letting everyone know, last night I downloaded the latest version of the VW approved oils list for the CAVE motor from ERWIN and have it as a 4 page pdf. if anyone is interested in a copy, let me know.

Once ond for all, Castrol Edge SPORT is most certainly NOT an approved oil. None of the Castrol oils listed can be bought over the counter in Australia.

Stage 2+ Intercooler Carbon Intake Downpipe Swaybar DV+ Remsa.

Quote Originally Posted by gavs View Post
    Just letting everyone know, last night I downloaded the latest version of the VW approved oils list for the CAVE motor from ERWIN and have it as a 4 page pdf. if anyone is interested in a copy, let me know.

Once ond for all, Castrol Edge SPORT is most certainly NOT an approved oil. None of the Castrol oils listed can be bought over the counter in Australia.
    Yes please! Have emailed you!
    Polo GTI - 5 door - Candy White, Xenons, Comfort Package, Audio Upgrade, Bluetooth, Parking Sensors and Tint

Thought I would add my tale to the story.

MY12 polo GTI delivered in Nov 2011. One of the first MY12's but without the the Rcd510 or Bluetooth. Week 26 I think.

Currently has 4476km on it and has been topped up with 4.5L of oil before it went in to the dealer today to get it checked. It was also 1/2 way down the dipstick last night when I got home so probably needed another 500ml.

To the dealers credit when I told them how much I had used before I booked it in they said bring it in we will get it checked. No stuffing about with oh it May use some oil before the first service. Loan car was no issue besides a weeks wait for one to be available.

So the outcome when I went to pick it up this afternoon was as follows from the head service manager.

"Normally the outcome would be we would do a consumption test and then replace the rings to fix it. Problem is yours has already got the new type of rings in it so we waited for a response back from VW on what to do. I can only show you some of the report but the response from VW is there is no fix at this time."

There were a few highlighted lines on the report of what they said they could show me from the service bulletin stating there is no fix at this time. He then hands me 5L of oil and says "please keep topping it up until VW or myself call you to bring it in for a fix"

He then says "they have engineers working on several solutions at the moment back in Germany and are currently testing the outcomes of these solutions."

When he brought the car around, he said his guess is that he will call me in a month or two and I'll be having the engine replaced.

When I got home I went to check the oil to see if they had topped it up and noticed green paint on the oil cap and the dip stick to mark if it had been opened. Looks like they we're ready to do a consumption test before they got the report back from VW.

I'll post back when I get some new info.

Tapatapa

Users Country Flag
    Giveway, that's what's happening here in Europe: for now there is not a solution and seems not depending on the production date.

After week 23th they inserted a rings modification, without great results.
    Other new rings are available from Jenuary 10th 2012: those seem to work better, but there are few cases to compare.
    Here one recent case where the change of the rings didn't fix the problem Polo GTI 1.4 TSI Twincharged Factory Recall – Engine Piston Rings – StrikeEngine

If you can choose, ask for a new engine, not a rings replacement...

Users Country Flag
    by Friday night I will have done 500km on my new GTI in 8 days. I've checked the oil every day and so far its still above the top of the dipstick.

But I may be too short into the life of the engine to have any realistic information.
    MY12.5 Candy White 5 door Polo GTI. Upgrades/Mods = RNS510 H LED, RVC camera, Auto Lights Dash Sound Actuator GTI button, Gavs Footrest(!)
    WIP = Miltek Turboback Exhaust, Cold Air Intake, Red Stuff brake pads (Nov '13)

Quote Originally Posted by giveway View Post
    MY12 polo GTI delivered in Nov 2011.

"Normally the outcome would be we would do a consumption test and then replace the rings to fix it. Problem is yours has already got the new type of rings in it so we waited for a response back from VW on what to do. I can only show you some of the report but the response from VW is there is no fix at this time."

Tapatapa
    Thanks mate. Very interesting. Mine is a MY12 as well and it was delivered at the end of November 2011 (I think it was week 32 build or something like that).

What dealer have you been going to? I think it's pretty interesting that they've said the engines have had new rings installed at the factory.

I'm around 2,800kms and I've got just under a 1/4 left on the dipstick. I'm taking it to my dealer tomorrow for a topup (before the light comes on) so it will be interesting to see how much they actually put in. Although I'm probably averaging less than 1 ltr per 3000kms, so it's well within the (stupid) guidelines.

Keep us posted how you go
    Polo GTI - 5 door - Candy White, Xenons, Comfort Package, Audio Upgrade, Bluetooth, Parking Sensors and Tint

Page 49 of 226 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999149 ... LastLast