Page 48 of 226 FirstFirst ... 3846474849505898148 ... LastLast

Thread: Polo GTI High Oil Usage - Discussion Thread

Users Country Flag

If after the consumption test it's deemed to have used too much oil, then the rings will be changed. That's my (or the old mans) experience anyway. Shame bc it's otherwise a fantastic car.

Fingers crossed for my golf!

Fingers crossed you have a good service department because with the tune in it.....

You're actually the first person to mention oil consumption issues even with the tune..... Seems that not all are immune when they have a tune....

The other issue is the use of WOT, especially on hot days. The manual even says that during summer periods with extended highway cruising or driving mountain passes, you should expect more oil to be burned. Most modern TSI VW's from the last 5 years burn oil when you really fang it, a mate with a Mk5 GTI drinkss oil like a fish when it's fanged. SUpposedly it's so they get fuel consumption down by lower internal friction from having the pistons slide easier in the bore by allowing oil to pass.

Trade off? 2L/100kms maybe? Or better oil consumption....... I don't know which is better....

Stage 2+ Intercooler Carbon Intake Downpipe Swaybar DV+ Remsa.

Users Country Flag
    I don't think they are privileging oil consumption to reduce fuel consumption...
    Also because 1liter every 1000Km encroust the engine, doesn't meet emission limits and it's just a bad business card for VW...

There is a project problem, too much sensitive this engine, and here we have a lot of cases of excessive oil consumption also on GTI's MY2012, so for now nothing is fixed, is still an open issue and VW doesn't know exactly how to do... :-/

Great car, but porcelain engine...

13,500km for me (car arrived in Australia in August 2010, had it since early December 2010) and have added just over 1.5 litres.

The bad news is I've got the dreaded supercharger chirp...started about 2000km ago

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by gavs View Post
    Fingers crossed you have a good service department because with the tune in it.....

You're actually the first person to mention oil consumption issues even with the tune..... Seems that not all are immune when they have a tune....

The other issue is the use of WOT, especially on hot days. The manual even says that during summer periods with extended highway cruising or driving mountain passes, you should expect more oil to be burned. Most modern TSI VW's from the last 5 years burn oil when you really fang it, a mate with a Mk5 GTI drinkss oil like a fish when it's fanged. SUpposedly it's so they get fuel consumption down by lower internal friction from having the pistons slide easier in the bore by allowing oil to pass.

Trade off? 2L/100kms maybe? Or better oil consumption....... I don't know which is better....
    Gavs... It's not my car, it's the old mans Polo GTI. No tune on it.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by alias_vw View Post
    The bad news is I've got the dreaded supercharger chirp...started about 2000km ago
    Surprised it took that long, mine started after about 3500km had just over 7000km when they changed it yesterday.
    2011 Polo GTI black, audio, comfort pack, xenons, leather, alarm, sunroof, bluetooth. Picked up!!!!

Sorry, was referring to bnescooter.
    Kawabanga, I understand your scepticism but the logic of this expaination (from the only VW service department employee I trust) is quite sound.

Users Country Flag
    Gavs, what explanation are you referring to? Also, what's WOT?
    2011 Polo GTI | Black | 5 doors | Comfort pack | Audio pack | 9w7 Bluetooth | Xenons - a Return to VW!
    Previous ride: 2008 Mazda2 - ZOOM-ZOOM indeed!
    1st Ride: 1988 Red VW Fox Sedan!

Quote Originally Posted by RoknRob View Post
    Gavs, what explanation are you referring to? Also, what's WOT?
    Wide Open Throttle (WOT)

You reduce internal friction and it gives you better fuel consumption. Try rolling a ball made of velcro along carpet and see how much energy you expend trying to move it. Now do the same with a ball made of polished glass and see how much easier it is. Same with a piston in a cylinder. Less resistance off the walls of the cylinder = less energy (fuel) expended to move it = less fuel being consummed. Good idea in theory, clearly very poorly executed.

Page 48 of 226 FirstFirst ... 3846474849505898148 ... LastLast