Page 41 of 226 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191141 ... LastLast

Thread: Polo GTI High Oil Usage - Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by PatoriaN View Post
    Okay so I finally had my booking with VW.

So a recap, I have done 1900 and my check oil light came on. I took it down, they checked it, and said that it is burning above the average but cant do anything until I hit 5000 km's as the engine gets run in.

They said VW wont cover it under warranty until I hit 5000 km's as it should settle down, if it doesn't then they will definitely look into it as it is above the average 500ml per 1000 kms - (1.2 litres for 1900) and it would be an issue.

One thing that they said was it wasn't actually on super low or empty when the light came on, I was told it comes on when you burn 800 ml worth. So it wasn't as bad as i first thought, but it is still quite high. They also said to come in for a top up whenever I need to.

Once it hits 5000 kms they will run a oil test on it and repair it if its above ratio outlined above.

So end result - they acknowledged the issue but wont fix it until 5000 kms (because its likely to magically disappear).

Oh mate, they are pulling you hard there! people are going in getting the new rings etc once the problem arrises, not at 5000kms. They know there is a problem, don't be surprised if you get a magical phone call to say your car is booked in and you need to take it down to the dealer. I would say that it's too close to christmas shutdown for them to care and instead of telling you that, they just made some bulltish excuse.

800ml for the light to come on?! well, either my check oil light doesn't work which has the sesor right in the BOTTOM of the sump (along with the temperature sensor) or that's another fib mate. When I changed my oil, no light was on with 3L in it and the capacity is 4.5L so......

Stage 2+ Intercooler Carbon Intake Downpipe Swaybar DV+ Remsa.

Think they are telling you a few porkies!

My oil light doesn't seem to go on till ~1.5L, I've unfortunately had it come on twice, once when the problem first started and then once during the oil consumption test where they told me not to fill it. Since then I've been checking it regularly and topping up, mine is scheduled to go in after Christmas for the new rings. I'm still going through heaps of oil and back of car is covered in oily deposits too...

I'm just frustrated they won't acknowledge this is a issue and that it took so long for them to take action on it...it's not normal to have to keep returning a new car to the dealer for oil top ups. If I hadn't read this forum I would still be driving with it using insane amounts because it was me who asked for an oil consumption test as they brushed it off.

Please note, AFAIK the capacity between the MIN and MAX mark on the dipstick is about 0.5 litres.

As such, should the yellow "check oil level" message show up, the owner's manual advises to top up 0.5 litres at a time.

It is quite insistent that you do not overfill.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott01 View Post
    Hmm... Just checked my oil. at 7000kms, at the bottom of the dipstick... which probably means it's down 1-1.3L
    No. If that were actually the case, you'd be needing a new engine!

The dipstick measures the top 0.5 litres. So assuming the total oil capacity is 3.6 litres, in absolute terms the MIN mark represents 3.1 litres and the MAX mark represents 3.6 litres.

So a recap, I have done 1900 and my check oil light came on. I took it down, they checked it, and said that it is burning above the average but cant do anything until I hit 5000 km's as the engine gets run in.

They said VW wont cover it under warranty until I hit 5000 km's as it should settle down, if it doesn't then they will definitely look into it as it is above the average 500ml per 1000 kms - (1.2 litres for 1900) and it would be an issue.

Once it hits 5000 kms they will run a oil test on it and repair it if its above ratio outlined above.
    That's correct and probably standard procedure - the owner's manual does advise that oil consumption may be higher than average (0.50 l/1000 km) during the first 5000 km.

1.20 l/1900 km works out to be about 0.63 l/1000 km - which is above average, but don't hit panic stations yet. Just keep an eye on the level to ensure that you aren't caught out if oil consumption suddenly skyrockets.

One thing that they said was it wasn't actually on super low or empty when the light came on, I was told it comes on when you burn 800 ml worth. So it wasn't as bad as i first thought, but it is still quite high. They also said to come in for a top up whenever I need to.
    Yes, that is generally the case for most vehicles.

Rest assured, if it was actually low on oil (as in only one or two litres left in total), you would end up with a significant loss of oil pressure (red oil light in addition to the yellow/orange oil light), followed by a damaged or even seized engine if left long enough!

So end result - they acknowledged the issue but wont fix it until 5000 kms (because its likely to magically disappear).
    Well, that remains to be seen - but at the same time, it's not impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by gavs View Post
    When I changed my oil, no light was on with 3L in it and the capacity is 4.5L so......
    Are you sure it's 4.5 litres?

In another thread, I recall that you ultimately poured in about 4.25 litres of oil (without issue I presume), but can you double check what the owner's manual says?

Quote Originally Posted by Karly101 View Post
    My oil light doesn't seem to go on till ~1.5L, I've unfortunately had it come on twice, once when the problem first started and then once during the oil consumption test where they told me not to fill it. Since then I've been checking it regularly and topping up, mine is scheduled to go in after Christmas for the new rings. I'm still going through heaps of oil and back of car is covered in oily deposits too...
    As per the owner's manual, ensure that you are not inadvertently overfilling the engine, by topping up in 0.5 litre increments.

But hopefully, your issue will be fixed with the new parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_vert View Post
    As per the owner's manual, ensure that you are not inadvertently overfilling the engine, by topping up in 0.5 litre increments.

But hopefully, your issue will be fixed with the new parts.
    At this stage I am just getting it topped up by the dealer and not doing it myself so it is all on record and I can't be blamed for doing the wrong thing! Counting down the days till it goes in to get fixed, though I'm wondering whether I am going to have other issues such as with the cat converter due to how much it is burning and the deposits covering the exhaust.

Users Country Flag
    I'm wondering whether I am going to have other issues such as with the cat converter due to how much it is burning and the deposits covering the exhaust.
    Don't worry, it'll be out of warranty by the time the cat expires
    Resident grumpy old fart
    VW - Metallic Paint, Radial Tyres, Laminated Windscreen, Electric Windows, VW Alloy Wheels, Variable Geometry Exhaust Driven Supercharger, Direct Unit Fuel Injection, Adiabatic Ignition, MacPherson Struts front, Torsion Beam rear, Coil Springs, Hydraulic Dampers, Front Anti-Roll Bar, Disc Brakes, Bosch ECU, ABS

At this stage I am just getting it topped up by the dealer and not doing it myself so it is all on record and I can't be blamed for doing the wrong thing! Counting down the days till it goes in to get fixed, though I'm wondering whether I am going to have other issues such as with the cat converter due to how much it is burning and the deposits covering the exhaust.
    Yikes!

Quote Originally Posted by kaanage View Post
    Don't worry, it'll be out of warranty by the time the cat expires
    Unless you sell the car before the warranty expires, then its someone else's problem.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_vert View Post
    Are you sure it's 4.5 litres?

In another thread, I recall that you ultimately poured in about 4.25 litres of oil (without issue I presume), but can you double check what the owner's manual says?
    If it's anything like my Golf R or my mother's Polo 77TSI owners manual, it says that changing the oil is something that should be completed by a qualified mechanic (something to that effect) and so it doesn't tell you the oil capacity of the engine...
    Presumably you'd need to go to erWin and download the service manual from there.

Users Country Flag
    Wow... after reading all 11 pages of this thread, I have come to this conclusion. The Polo GTI I was interested in getting, is now a NO WAY IN HELL prospect. I have also noticed a lot of mentions of VWA (and their dealers) actively lying and misrepresenting their products. Basically a company that everyone should stay clear of.
    As for their claims that the car should burn oil from new, well that is just pure rubbish. The only cars I've ever had burn oil were my Mazda RX-7's, and that was by design.

Maybe I'll keep my Nissan 370Z after all.
    Last edited by starionx; 25-12-2011 at 02:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by starionx View Post
    You didn't have the 370Z for long. Bad experience?

Wow... after reading all 11 pages of this thread, I have come to this conclusion. The Polo GTI I was interested in getting, is now a NO WAY IN HELL prospect.
    Well, that's understandable - it does make for rather sober reading, doesn't it?

I have also noticed a lot of mentions of VWA (and their dealers) actively lying and misrepresenting their products. Basically a company that everyone should stay clear of.
    All vehicle manufacturers are like that - be it Toyota or BMW, Nissan or VAG, you will have a fight on your hands if they deny any fault (unless it's related to safety).

They are a business, first and foremost - and unfortunately it's the shareholders that take priority.

As for their claims that the car should burn oil from new, well that is just pure rubbish. The only cars I've ever had burn oil were my Mazda RX-7's, and that was by design.
    It is normal for all new piston engines to consume some oil during the break-in phase, which should taper off once the engine has some decent mileage on it.

It's a good thing you don't have the 350Z then - RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion - MY350Z.COM Forums

Like I said, all marques have their issues (a visit to any forum will easily uncover the truth). Just because a vehicle is manufactured in Germany or Japan is no guarantee it will be faultless.

Page 41 of 226 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191141 ... LastLast