Support VWWC

Page 16 of 226 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666116 ... LastLast

Thread: Polo GTI High Oil Usage - Discussion Thread

Users Country Flag

Oh by the way. It seems the MY12 spec cars are all getting the CAVE engines. Mine is one of the first shipment of MY12 cars that came to south africa and I have a CAVE engine code.....

All polo gti's run the CAVE engine, have done since MY10 spec.

Stage 2+ Intercooler Carbon Intake Downpipe Swaybar DV+ Remsa.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryRSA View Post
    Oh by the way. It seems the MY12 spec cars are all getting the CAVE engines. Mine is one of the first shipment of MY12 cars that came to south africa and I have a CAVE engine code.....
    what is the difference between CAVE engine code and the original?

Disregard this please
    2011 Polo GTI black, audio, comfort pack, xenons, leather, alarm, sunroof, bluetooth. Picked up!!!!

Users Country Flag
    My oil light came on this morning.
    11.5k kms

This will be the 2nd top up bottle that I buy for this car
    2010 Polo GTI - 5dr Flash Red
    Completed upgrades: RNS 510 install, Retrofit MDI, Bluetooth
    Planned upgrades: Amp, 3 way speaker install
    Planned mods: APR tune, Brembo brake upgrade

Users Country Flag
    If thta's 2L in 11500km then that's OK & will probably continue to improve. If you mean 10L......
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Users Country Flag
    I did an oil change over the weekend.

I hope my oil consumption settles down after that. If not, then off to Dealership to have a consumption test started.
    2014 Golf GTI
    Tornado Red | DSG

Users Country Flag
    I had my first warning light come on about 2700km and put in about 500ml. The dealer said the same thing as most others though, that it will burn through some oil in the first few months and then will settle down.

Users Country Flag

Unhappy I spoke too soon!

Last month I checked my oil levels, and was planted right in the middle of the indicator, at 2000km.

Today, on 3000km, I am down near the bottom of the dipstick... no warning light yet, but prevention is better than cure!

So I was obliged to top it up with a litre today.

I had my oil changed (therefore re-filled) at 1500km, so this is bad news... but, to be expected, according to the manual, the service chap, and these forums. I still find it tough, since I have never, EVER had to top up a car with oil before this one.

This was despite doing the hard-ish, no babying break in. I really thought that would help...

Oh well - I'll just have to pay attention more often. Hopefully will settle by 5000km, though the service chap told me to expect it until 10000 kms....

Users Country Flag
    I must be lucky then, since I break in the engine just like they said it in the owners manual and after 3140 km I still got most of the oil.
    It's at least 3/4 full.

Quote Originally Posted by RoknRob View Post
    Last month I checked my oil levels, and was planted right in the middle of the indicator, at 2000km.

Today, on 3000km, I am down near the bottom of the dipstick... no warning light yet, but prevention is better than cure!

So I was obliged to top it up with a litre today.

I had my oil changed (therefore re-filled) at 1500km, so this is bad news... but, to be expected, according to the manual, the service chap, and these forums. I still find it tough, since I have never, EVER had to top up a car with oil before this one.

This was despite doing the hard-ish, no babying break in. I really thought that would help...

Oh well - I'll just have to pay attention more often. Hopefully will settle by 5000km, though the service chap told me to expect it until 10000 kms....
    IMO, by changing the oil early, all you are doing is prolonging the break-in period, because the first-fill is most likely a synthetic oil.

The problem with using mineral oil is that you risk damaging these highly sophisticated engines of course, even for short durations - so this isn't the solution, in case you (or others) were wondering.

The owner's manual states that oil consumption should stabilise after 5000 km, but since you changed the oil at 1500 km, in your case you shouldn't expect oil consumption to stabilise until 7500 km - if at all, in which case it would confirm my suspicions of there being a fundamental problem with one or several components with some of these FSI engines (though here's hoping this isn't the case with your particular vehicle).

Call back after 10k, then we'll see what's what.

Variable quality control FTW, not!

Page 16 of 226 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666116 ... LastLast