Support VWWC

Page 3 of 226 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Polo GTI High Oil Usage - Discussion Thread

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Smacca View Post
    A long read, but well worth it. Very interesting and sound technical advice IMO. The first oil change so soon sounds like an over-the-top practice, but I see where he's coming from.

I'll be breaking in my GTI this way. Yes I can see it now, pick it up from Sutherland VW and straight into the Royal National Park (only 5 min from the dealer) for a spirited blast.
    Quote Originally Posted by gavs View Post
    And I, from the dealership, up the Kangaroo ground - Kinglake road
    Quote Originally Posted by Miles Away View Post
    That is exactly what I did once I got mine delivered. you WILL become addicted to that piece of road. Shame there isn't more like it around the city too.
    Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    RNP is as good as ruined these days due to too many (mainly motorbike) accidents. There is always a HWP hiding at the southern end (offshoot road that goes downhill, so you can't see him). Add the recently installed double yellows & the reduction in speed limit to 60kmh & it's not the piece of road it once was.
    Looks like we need a thread about the "Best road in the Oz World" or "Roads that we need to travel"
    POLO 77TSI DSG 5D - MY11 - REFLEX SILVER - COMFORT PACK
    Engine - K&N Air Filter (e-2997)
    AV - Rockford Fosgate T1652-S , T1652 and P3L-S12 Sub. Alpine MRP-F600 and Alpine MRP-M500, Dynamat
    Planned - lots, but the "financial manager" says NO

Quote Originally Posted by broxigar1983 View Post
    Looks like we need a thread about the "Best road in the Oz World" or "Roads that we need to travel"
    Been done to death. Do a google search

Ok, just as an update from the old dart:

According to some dealers over in the uk, they know of this issue as being related to a fault in the pistonrings or as they say, piston scrapers. This is what Arun over there has had to say so far...

"My GTI took 1 litre of oil at 3500 miles. Then at 5500 the oil light came on. Took it back to the dealer who performed a controlled oil check, apparently a manufacturing fault with pistons so they are now getting replaced."

Will keep you all updated

Stage 2+ Intercooler Carbon Intake Downpipe Swaybar DV+ Remsa.

Users Country Flag
    I wonder... My GTI came with a glossy pamphlet all about oil and telling me all cars use oil... I have not had to top up a car (between services) since my 1990 Nissan turned 6 years old. I am dreading the fact that VW is telling me to expect it this time... in 2011...

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by RoknRob View Post
    I wonder... My GTI came with a glossy pamphlet all about oil and telling me all cars use oil... I have not had to top up a car (between services) since my 1990 Nissan turned 6 years old. I am dreading the fact that VW is telling me to expect it this time... in 2011...
    The price of technology & the demand for lower fuel consumption. Subaru have also had oil consumption issues for the last 5 years. It's due to very hard cylinder bores & low tension rings. They need to have the bulk of bedding-in done in the first 1000km or the process then becomes very slow with ongoing oil consumption problems.

My 1.8TSI has never used oil in 70,000km.
    Ran it in making sure I was getting boost pressure in behind the rings & also letting the engine slow the car down. I didn't use 5th or 6th for the first 1000km. I also didn't change the oil until 15,000km (about 8 months ownership).
    I never warm up in the driveway - simply start, drive out garage & wait for auto door to close, connect seatbelt, connect ipod & drive fairly conservatively until the water temp is about 1/3. Then I drive briskly but rarely thrash it.
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by gavs View Post
    Ok, just as an update from the old dart:

According to some dealers over in the uk, they know of this issue as being related to a fault in the pistonrings or as they say, piston scrapers. This is what Arun over there has had to say so far...

"My GTI took 1 litre of oil at 3500 miles. Then at 5500 the oil light came on. Took it back to the dealer who performed a controlled oil check, apparently a manufacturing fault with pistons so they are now getting replaced."

Will keep you all updated
    I've topped up approximately 2-3 liters to 5500 lol. Did an oil/filer change at that point and so far its been quite stable.

Spent about 50% of the time in the first 1000 Kms in S mode to run it in. Maybe I should have been on S permanently.

Gav: keep us posted on that UK one please :p

One user here : Polo Gti reliabilty

Had an engine failure after 115kms & 2 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    The price of technology & the demand for lower fuel consumption. Subaru have also had oil consumption issues for the last 5 years. It's due to very hard cylinder bores & low tension rings. They need to have the bulk of bedding-in done in the first 1000km or the process then becomes very slow with ongoing oil consumption problems.

My 1.8TSI has never used oil in 70,000km.
    Ran it in making sure I was getting boost pressure in behind the rings & also letting the engine slow the car down. I didn't use 5th or 6th for the first 1000km. I also didn't change the oil until 15,000km (about 8 months ownership).
    I never warm up in the driveway - simply start, drive out garage & wait for auto door to close, connect seatbelt, connect ipod & drive fairly conservatively until the water temp is about 1/3. Then I drive briskly but rarely thrash it.
    That's exactly how I have run in the last 2 cars of mine. The result is an engine that goes hard and uses negligable oil between services.

what you "rarely thrash it." heheh come on, drive it like its suppose to be driven

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit View Post
    what you "rarely thrash it." heheh come on, drive it like its suppose to be driven
    I live within Sydney & use the car to commute. Unless I want to look like a rabid P-Plater there is no point doing anything besides "going with the flow". I also have 330Nm to play with, so thrashing isn't really needed
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Page 3 of 226 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast