Support VWWC

Page 2 of 226 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Polo GTI High Oil Usage - Discussion Thread

Guys i have done about 2500km now and just checked my oil this moment and it has hardly moved/consumed any oil from day one with 50km's on it.
    I don't know how you guys have been running your engines in but this is how i went about running my engine in and i'd highly recommend it to any new car owner:
    In fact at 1600 km's i took it to the melbourne dyno day and it made 112kw at the wheels, so no babying run in with this one. in fact i feel as though its making more power in the upper reaches now, and has not chewed through the oil.
    Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power

Users Country Flag
    When I picked up our 77TSI just recently, the sales person mentioned about the oil consumption and that I shouldn't be alarmed if the oil light comes on. He mentioned that if it does come on to go to them and they will top it up for free. He said that I MUST use their oil.

I asked if it was running-in oil but he didn't really know. He said that I should let them know if I'm going on a long trip and he will sort out a 1l bottle (maybe they should supply a 4l container when purchasing a new car, now that'd be a novel idea).
    Flash Red Polo 5dr 77TSi, DSG, Sports Pack, Comfort Pack, Audio Pack, Mats

No such thing as running in oil these days and he told you (another) dealer lie, you can use any oil you like, SO LONG AS IT MEETS THE VW APPROVED OIL SPECIFICATION which is in your owners manual.

Stage 2+ Intercooler Carbon Intake Downpipe Swaybar DV+ Remsa.

Users Country Flag
    For a petrol engine, you can use any oil that is approved to either VW502.00 or VW504.00 spec.

Castrol Edge Sport5w-30 is 502.00 & readily available.

Shell Helix Ultra Extra 5w-30 is 504.00 & readily available.

It's all in your manual.

If your in the middle of nowhere & the light comes on (I can't believe people can't be bothered to check the dipstick for the first few months on a new car) then any 5w-30 synthetic is better than driving around with low oil.

If you want to buy the correct oil (Mobil1 5w-30ESP IIRC) in handy sized 1 quart top-up bottles, try gllubricants.com

And I agree with Gambit. I didn't thrash my car but drove it with "spirit" and it has never required a top-up between 15,000km services.
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Quote Originally Posted by mr_bzr View Post
    what are you guys using to top up the oil?
    You should look harder through the Forum, here's a start for you:

http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/f77/...nts-49676.html

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Gambit View Post
    Guys i have done about 2500km now and just checked my oil this moment and it has hardly moved/consumed any oil from day one with 50km's on it.
    I don't know how you guys have been running your engines in but this is how i went about running my engine in and i'd highly recommend it to any new car owner:
    In fact at 1600 km's i took it to the melbourne dyno day and it made 112kw at the wheels, so no babying run in with this one. in fact i feel as though its making more power in the upper reaches now, and has not chewed through the oil.
    Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power
    That page about how to break in your engine makes a lot of sense.
    I'd like to hear what other peoples opinions are on this matter?
    2011 Polo GTI 5 door Candy White
    H&R Springs/APR Stage 1/OZ Racing Superturismo GT's

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    That page about how to break in your engine makes a lot of sense.
    I'd like to hear what other peoples opinions are on this matter?
    A long read, but well worth it. Very interesting and sound technical advice IMO. The first oil change so soon sounds like an over-the-top practice, but I see where he's coming from.

I'll be breaking in my GTI this way. Yes I can see it now, pick it up from Sutherland VW and straight into the Royal National Park (only 5 min from the dealer) for a spirited blast.
    MkV GTI Pirelli | APR tune

And I, from the dealership, up the Kangaroo ground - Kinglake road

Stage 2+ Intercooler Carbon Intake Downpipe Swaybar DV+ Remsa.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Smacca View Post
    pick it up from Sutherland VW and straight into the Royal National Park
    That is exactly what I did once I got mine delivered. you WILL become addicted to that piece of road. Shame there isn't more like it around the city too.
    2010 Polo GTI 5dr, reflex metallic silver, MDI.
    Now Replaced With
    2012 Polo GTI 5dr, Candy White, Sunroof, Detroits

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Miles Away View Post
    That is exactly what I did once I got mine delivered. you WILL become addicted to that piece of road. Shame there isn't more like it around the city too.
    RNP is as good as ruined these days due to too many (mainly motorbike) accidents. There is always a HWP hiding at the southern end (offshoot road that goes downhill, so you can't see him). Add the recently installed double yellows & the reduction in speed limit to 60kmh & it's not the piece of road it once was.
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Page 2 of 226 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast