Thread: Polo Check oil level Warning!!!

Users Country Flag

Unhappy Polo Check oil level Warning!!!

Hi everyone,
    I have this " CHECK OIL LEVEL" warning the other day when I was driving. Couldn't do much due to public holidays and I checked my dipstick this morning, found out that the oil level was low just cover the top pointy bit. I just had a car service 2 months ago, is it something normal to happen after a recent service? Will road service fix problems like that or it's better to take my car back to the service place?

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Chichi View Post
    Hi everyone,
    I have this " CHECK OIL LEVEL" warning the other day when I was driving. Couldn't do much due to public holidays and I checked my dipstick this morning, found out that the oil level was low just cover the top pointy bit. I just had a car service 2 months ago, is it something normal to happen after a recent service? Will road service fix problems like that or it's better to take my car back to the service place?

Buy a litre of oil and top it up Do you ever check your oil regularly, like every month ??????????/

A Polo takes 4L for a complete drain and fill

You need a VW approved oil like this one if its a petrol engine

Castrol EDGE Engine Oil - 5W-30, A3/B4, 1 Litre | Supercheap Auto
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    Buy a litre of oil and top it up Do you ever check your oil regularly, like every month ??????????/

Thanks Hillbilly,
    To be honest, I never checked my oil level. I thought mechanist changed it when I did the service and I suppose it would last long enough until my next service. Will it still be ok to drive a bit?

Users Country Flag
    Its a good idea to check your oil every few weeks or every 1,000km's just to keep an eye on things. Having the engine run low/run out of oil will cost you a lot of money.

In your case its possible that:

1) mechanic didnt put enough oil in when he did the service
    2) your car is burning oil
    3) you have an oil leak

Get some oil, top it up and then check for #3 (should be pretty obvious) and keep an eye on the possibility of #2 by checking your oil every few weeks.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    Thanks Hillbilly,
    To be honest, I never checked my oil level. I thought mechanist changed it when I did the service and I suppose it would last long enough until my next service. Will it still be ok to drive a bit?
    NO As Lucas said go and get some oil and top it up before driving any further. Get a friend to take you or catch a bus. Will be a lot cheaper than blowing your engine up.

I cant believe people dont check oil levels between services. Mine get checked every week whether car is used or not. You never know when an oil line may crack or a joint come loose. When on the road full time I did oil water and tyres EVERY morning

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    Its a good idea to check your oil every few weeks or every 1,000km's just to keep an eye on things. Having the engine run low/run out of oil will cost you a lot of money.

3) you have an oil leak

Get some oil, top it up and then check for #3 (should be pretty obvious) and keep an eye on the possibility of #2 by checking your oil every few weeks.
    Thank you. It just died and I called road assist...

Good point. I 'll start checking now and then...called road assist and they are on the way cos it just died....

Users Country Flag
    Good point. I 'll start checking now and then...called road assist and they are on the way cos it just died....
    So you asked for advice and we said dont drive it and you did Priceless

Thanks Hillbilly,
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post

3) you have an oil leak

So you asked for advice and we said dont drive it and you did Priceless
    I didn't drive, was starting it to check the warning sign...anyway the guy said it was a leak and its safe to drive to the mechanist tomorrow to get it checked...

Users Country Flag

Hi mate,

My Mrs Polo GTI 1.4 used to love to drink the oil - you really need to regularly check it.

I have found that the OEM VW oil works best - it uses around 1L per 5,000 kms now.