Thread: Oil leak collecting on gearbox

Oil leak collecting on gearbox

Hi, I've noticed that there is oil leaking and it's collecting on the gear box [link to photo 20200517-115324 — ImgBB ]. Does any one know where the leak could be coming from?

Users Country Flag
    Wipe everything in sight and keep an eye on it
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    What engine or model of Polo? Details are needed in order to try and help!!

To me it looks like clean engine oil - so its possible that they last person who serviced your car was a bit careless and spilled some oil and it has run down and settled on your gearbox and is now gathering dust. As mentioned above, get some brake cleaner or degreaser and clean it off and then check it over the next month or two and see if it comes back.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Cheers, thanks guys.

Is it 1.2 tsi ?

Yes it is.

Could it be the transmission mount, are they oil filled?

Mine was leaking from the water pump . The water pump/ thermostat are located on the back of the head . Mine leaked down onto the gearbox and pooled on top of it

Is it a 6r or a 6c . The 6c tsi has the water pump in the location I mentioned above. The earlier 6r I’m unsure on water pump location

Mine is leaking too. I discovered this on another forum which might help "Has anyone heard anything about the possibility of the flywheel securing bolts slackening off leading to a slight engine oil leak between engine and gearbox, this so far seems only to be a 1.2TSI 16V engine issue, which VW have been taking care of under warranty?

This tale comes not from a fellow Polo owner, but someone on the Skoda Fabia forum, as he was just happily topping up the engine oil as he thought it was slight and acceptable oil usage - until an alert Skoda Tech spotted oil leaking out from between the engine and gearbox, so reported it and removed the gearbox and replaced all the flywheel to crank shaft bolts and told him it had been recorded happening on mainly Polos with that engine!" hope this is helpful

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by da_warped_1 View Post
    Could it be the transmission mount, are they oil filled?
    I'll say is the coolant pump leaking coolant.

Does it smell but not like motor oil?
    Does it wash away with water? It is coolant then.

Water or coolant pump is on the left of the engine, exactly on the other side where all other belts and pulleys are.
    Is the leakage around that area?