Support VWWC

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Most powerful legal non HID blub that can be fitted

Users Country Flag

Most powerful legal non HID blub that can be fitted

Not sure what the standard halogen blubs used in the polo 2012-13 models are, but can I change to a higher wattage?

I've heard the highest legal non HIB blub is 100w?

Maybe even go for a light blue tint hahahaha.

correction: non xenon... i think HID and xenon are different right?

Users Country Flag
    H7 55w is the standard

Personal I don't like the blue ones as there annoying when coming at you.
    Just get some Phillips xtreme vision 100% or osram nightbreakers. Don't worry about HID.
    MY16 Candy white Octavia VRS Wagon, sunroof, 19" black pack, tech pack, comfort pack, auto tail gate
    MY12.5 Polo 6R GTI

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    nice, is it really 100% brighter?

also, is it h7 and not h4? powerblubs.com seems to list the h4 for the polos

Quote Originally Posted by cappuccino View Post
    Not sure what the standard halogen blubs used in the polo 2012-13 models are, but can I change to a higher wattage?
    Yes you can, as fitting high wattage bulbs is not illegal.

However, it will render the vehicle unroadworthy - i.e. unfit for use on the public highway.

A more bigger concern would be the possibility of a 80W, 90W or 100W halogen bulb causing damage to the headlamp housing (especially to any plastic components) and the wiring assembly, due to the bulb's current draw and heat output.

I've heard the highest legal non HIB blub is 100w?
    AFAIK, no automotive halogen bulb with a rated wattage of 100 that I'm aware of is approved for use on the highway.

Maybe even go for a light blue tint hahahaha.
    A blue coating by itself only acts to reduce total light output.

correction: non xenon... i think HID and xenon are different right?
    Gas-discharge bulbs, also known as high intensity discharge bulbs, are usually filled with noble gases, such as xenon.

Halogen bulbs are usually filled with halogen gases (hence the name), such as iodine or bromide. But in addition, they are sometimes also filled with noble gases as well, such as xenon.

nice, is it really 100% brighter?
    The "plus" ratings used by the manufacturers refer to the amount of light on the road measured at a distance between 50 m to 100 m (I think) from the vehicle. These higher plus ratings are mostly achieved by using a thinner filament and using a more advanced gas filling, allowing the bulb to burn hotter and brighter - which also has a negative impact on life span.

The actual luminous flux rating (total light output, measured in lumens) doesn't change much, or at least, there is certainly not a 50%, 80% or 100% increase in luminous flux - unless light bulbs aren't subject to the laws of physics.

also, is it h7 and not h4? powerblubs.com seems to list the h4 for the polos
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but:

Models with a combined dipped and main beam lens use one dual-filament H4 60/55W bulb per headlamp (Trendline).
    Models with a separate dipped and main beam lens use two single-filament H7 55W bulbs per headlamp (Comfortline & GTI).

If your vehicle uses H4 bulbs, consider the Osram 70/65W bulb (product code 64205).
    If your vehicle uses H7 bulbs, consider the Osram 65W bulb (product code 64217).

Note that both products would technically render the vehicle unroadworthy, because they don't have a ECE mark, but the chances of getting caught would be very slim.

Users Country Flag

RE: Most powerful legal non HID blub that can be fitted

There is normally some sort of disclaimer on the box for the bulbs if the are for highway use or not. It is a USA term adopted widely. Off highway use means it can't be used on any public road. I think I will stick with my 35 watt headlights
    Sent from my RM-821_apac_australia_new_zealand_304 using Board Express
    08 MY09 R32, DBP, DSG, GIAC, R8V10 reps, KW V3, RNS510/VIM/BT/MDI, region free DVD, switched Haldex, s2t paddles,HPA dogbone rubber,Mk7 climatronics, FIS+, Adams/RDA discs & Hawk pads, Garage button, GruppeM. Front fogs, Milltek. CF Chin spoiler.Strut support. LEDs Alloy front suspension bits.....
    http://photobucket.com/gregsr32

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_vert View Post

However, it will render the vehicle unroadworthy - i.e. unfit for use on the public highway.

A more bigger concern would be the possibility of a 80W, 90W or 100W halogen bulb causing damage to the headlamp housing (especially to any plastic components) and the wiring assembly, due to the bulb's current draw and heat output.

AFAIK, no automotive halogen bulb with a rated wattage of 100 that I'm aware of is approved for use on the highway.

Gas-discharge bulbs, also known as high intensity discharge bulbs, are usually filled with noble gases, such as xenon.

Halogen bulbs are usually filled with halogen gases (hence the name), such as iodine or bromide. But in addition, they are sometimes also filled with noble gases as well, such as xenon.

The "plus" ratings used by the manufacturers refer to the amount of light on the road measured at a distance between 50 m to 100 m (I think) from the vehicle. These higher plus ratings are mostly achieved by using a thinner filament and using a more advanced gas filling, allowing the bulb to burn hotter and brighter - which also has a negative impact on life span.

The actual luminous flux rating (total light output, measured in lumens) doesn't change much, or at least, there is certainly not a 50%, 80% or 100% increase in luminous flux - unless light bulbs aren't subject to the laws of physics.

Models with a combined dipped and main beam lens use one dual-filament H4 60/55W bulb per headlamp (Trendline).
    Models with a separate dipped and main beam lens use two single-filament H7 55W bulbs per headlamp (Comfortline & GTI).

If your vehicle uses H4 bulbs, consider the Osram 70/65W bulb (product code 64205).
    If your vehicle uses H7 bulbs, consider the Osram 65W bulb (product code 64217).

Note that both products would technically render the vehicle unroadworthy, because they don't have a ECE mark, but the chances of getting caught would be very slim.
    This is all the info you you need to answer your question. You can get up to 130W bulbs but as stated, they are not allowable on public roads for main beams, highbeams are different but due to the proximity to the reflector and the entire housing being made of various plastics, fair cahnce that a 130W bulb will actually start to break down the light, they get that hot.

As Deisel_vert pointed out, blue tinted bulbs and all the stuff about +50 and +100 is marketing rubbish. They do nothing for light output. I have tried many , many different halogen bulbs in my old mk4 golf because the lights were rubbish and the only 1 I found that was semi-satisfactory was the osram/narva nightbreaker.

Stage 2+ Intercooler Carbon Intake Downpipe Swaybar DV+ Remsa.

This should be a sticky somewhere. Totally correct.

for Gav:

There have been a number of comparisons on +30 +50 +100% bulbs. They do indeed have different performances.

Headlight bulbs tested | Auto Express
    Last edited by pologti18t; 23-05-2013 at 01:55 PM.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Thanks for that detailed response, very helpful.

I have the comfortline so looks like I do need the H7.

are the phillips xtreme vision / osram nightbreakers / Osram 65W bulb bulbs road worthy? as well as road worthy for highway driving.

do they make a difference from the standard bulbs?

Most powerful legal non HID blub that can be fitted

Quote Originally Posted by pologti18t View Post
    This should be a sticky somewhere. Totally correct.

for Gav:

There have been a number of comparisons on +30 +50 +100% bulbs. They do indeed have different performances.

Headlight bulbs tested | Auto Express
    Yeah, and I sat on a country road at night with a series of different bulbs and the +100 wasn't twice as good as a standard h7 bulb, even though it was twice the price. The best halogen bulb you can get is a Xenophot bulb but they're only available in driving lights.

Stage 2+ Intercooler Carbon Intake Downpipe Swaybar DV+ Remsa.

I have the comfortline so looks like I do need the H7.
    That's fine, but I'd advise you to double-check before purchasing anything.

are the phillips xtreme vision / osram nightbreakers / Osram 65W bulb bulbs road worthy?
    The Philips X-tremeVision H7 55W and Osram Night Breaker Plus H7 55W bulbs are the highest plus bulbs on the market. They are compliant with ECE (and hence, ADR) regulations, so they can be fitted to vehicles used on public roads.

The luminous flux (light output) specification for a 12V H7 55W bulb is 1500 lumens (+/- 10%), but I'm led to believe that higher quality, better materials and tighter tolerances of these two products are designed to push the light output to the maximum that's permissible. The aim is to allow a more controlled, deliberate and precise beam, which leads to more light where it's most useful - i.e. 50 m to 100 m in front on the vehicle, and further reduce randomly scattered light. That's the theory, anyway.

The downside is reduced life span - as with any halogen bulb that burns brighter and hotter - but that's physics for you.

The Osram 64217 65W bulb is not compliant with ECE (and hence, ADR) regulations, so they aren't supposed to be fitted to vehicles used on public roads. It has a luminous flux of 2100 lumens, which is an actual 40% increase in terms of total light output compared to a standard 1500 lm H7 55W bulb.

You should by now be aware what the implication of that is, re: washers and auto levellers.

One benefit is that there is no significant decrease in service life, because Osram's 64217 bulb essentially uses the filament from an ordinary H9 65W bulb (no life-reducing "plus" technology) that's fitted to the base used by the H7 bulb (PX26d).

Many people will also argue an increase of 10W will not adversely affect the vehicle's electrical system, but there's no guarantee that it won't.

... as well as road worthy for highway driving.
    Roadworthiness implies a vehicle is fit for use on public roads.

In a legal context, the phrase "public highway" is just another way of referring to a "public road", so they mean the same thing.

do they make a difference from the standard bulbs?
    They should, but the optics of the headlamp assembly itself will also have an influence. In terms of value, they can sometimes be expensive, considering their price and service life. Best to purchase such bulbs overseas from places like Powerbulbs.com or eBay, etc.

You will probably notice a bigger improvement in light output by using the 65W bulbs, but they are not meant for use on public roads, although you are very unlikely to get caught. That is something you will have to weigh up for yourself.

But I can only say so much. You will really need to purchase and compare products with your own eyes.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast