Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Misfire Cylinder 3

Misfire Cylinder 3

Hi all... On the trip into work today car lost a lot of power and then threw an EPC, MIL, TPW and TC lights. I pulled over and evaluated what was going on. it originally felt like it was down on power but okay a little higher up the rev range (as in it would shudder and run rough less than about 2k)

about 2 kms down the road (I was close to work so I was trying to limp it there), it lost most power like the common wastegate turbo issue of a little while ago so i pulled over. Now when you start it, it triggers a code almost immediately. luckily i had my fault code scanner with me and sure enough, it's logged P0303 - Cylinder 3 Misfire.

Has anyone had something similar? Given the coil is responsible for all 4 cylinders, is it likely to be the actual coil for a consistent misfire on 1 cylinder?

Also FWIW, it did have a 2nd new timing chain fitted 3 weeks ago by VW. Possibly related?

Anyway.. if anyone has any thoughts what would be great. I'm going to get RACV to tow it home after work today and deal with it then (luckily limped it a work mates place literally around the corner so that was at least fortuitous)

TIA!
    My Car(s): 2011 6R TSI Comfortline (Pepper Silver),
    If you're in need of any 6n1 parts, odds are that I am going to have them (dismantling 2 at the moment)

Users Country Flag
    Ignition lead for cylinder 3, if its the engine I think it is.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

The CBZB 1.2TSI
    Misfire Cylinder 3-27759963_8-jpg
    If you're in need of any 6n1 parts, odds are that I am going to have them (dismantling 2 at the moment)

Users Country Flag
    That's the one.

Have a good look at #3 lead. They arc out on the metal pipes close by.

It's a standard type of lead you'd find on most VWs, so you'd probably have something kicking around off a 6N that'd fit.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by Umai Naa!! View Post
    That's the one.

Have a good look at #3 lead. They arc out on the metal pipes close by.

It's a standard type of lead you'd find on most VWs, so you'd probably have something kicking around off a 6N that'd fit.
    Funny you should say... I was just looking at lead sets on the net and thinking to myself "They look like standard VW leads, i reckon one of the 10 sets of 6N ones I have lying around will fit" and I even have a new set of 6N leads on the shelf that I keep.

I'll get it towed this afternoon and have a play with it and report back what I find.

Yep... faulty ignition lead 3, replaced with a set I got from Imparts and job done.. Thanks again

interesting though. the lead looks physically perfectly fine, no break in the rubber outer layer etc.

Users Country Flag
    No white dusty markings on the insulation?

Good work getting it sorted.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by Umai Naa!! View Post
    No white dusty markings on the insulation?

Good work getting it sorted.
    There was a little yes where it's near the metal, it rubbed off though (or mostly), i just thought it was dirt/general crud etc? I'll post a pic tonight... not but no 'physical' damage

Users Country Flag
    Hi,

Thought I would post in this thread as it's a similar problem.

My wife's Polo 6r just had a service yesterday by a WV dealer and she got quite a shock when they told her "found cylinder 3 spark plug lead arcing out on fuel line and recommend replacing all 4 leads and coil with software update" Total price $684.

Is this a bit of an overkill?? The car has only done just over 50000k's and had a major service last year.
    I know you can't replace 1 lead and it has to be a set but coil as well??

Could someone more mechanically minded break down the cost of parts and labour for me just to make sure she's not taken for a ride.

Cheers,
    Michael
    Last edited by spyder; 27-08-2016 at 12:30 PM.
    Tiguan MY 12.5 | 118 TSI Manual | Candy White | Comfort Pack | Fog Lights | Window Tint

Okay for a VW dealer I guess but but replacing just the lead would have been infinitely cheaper! Especially when the coil is only 50k old, overkill I would say

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast