Thread: Looking a buying a used GTI, advice please?

Users Country Flag

Question Looking a buying a used GTI, advice please?

Hi everyone,

I'm looking at purchasing a Polo GTI 6R, my budget is up to $18,000. But I'd rather keep it around $16,000, looking around the forums the 1.4TFSI engine seems to scare me a tad, not to mention the DSG. If I were to go ahead and buy a Polo are there any specific things to look for and are the 2012 and newer the best ones to purchase?

Any help with this would be great.

Thanks,

Users Country Flag
    Personally i'd get a Fiesta ST over the older 6R GTI, they're much more fun to drive, cheaper to run and imo would be far more reliable. There were heaps of issues with the 1.4TFSI and DSG in the 6R, there's no way I would be willing to chance it now that they are out of warranty, VW repairs are far from cheap.

If you can put up with the average interior and having a manual box, I'd choose the Fiesta every time.
    Last edited by green_comet; 27-02-2017 at 11:19 AM.
    MY18 Passat 206tsi R-Line | Harvard Blue | Wagon

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by green_comet View Post
    Personally i'd get a Fiesta ST over the older 6R GTI, they're a much more fun to drive, cheaper to run and imo would be far more reliable. There were heaps of issues with the 1.4TFSI and DSG in the 6R, there's no way I would be willing to chance it now that they are out of warranty, VW repairs are far from cheap.

If you can put up with the average interior and having a manual box, I'd choose the Fiesta every time.
    Well I'm an auto only driver, I guess I'm lazy. So while I like the Fiesta ST it's manual only. From the reading I've done the 2013's have a newer 1.4TFSI with a diferent engine code, are these any better in terms of reliability?

This TFSI has so far done me in on two cars I like the Polo and A1.

Users Country Flag
    Another option you can also look at is a Renault Clio RS 200 Sport, they're auto only, drive great and are getting near that price second hand.

Something like this.

https://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/d...14270282/?Cr=1

Personally I'd either stretch my budget for a 2015+ 6c GTI in dsg, or get something else.
    MY18 Passat 206tsi R-Line | Harvard Blue | Wagon

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by green_comet View Post
    Another option you can also look at is a Renault Clio RS 200 Sport, they're auto only, drive great and are getting near that price second hand.

Something like this.

https://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/d...14270282/?Cr=1

Personally I'd either stretch my budget for a 2015+ 6c GTI in dsg, or get something else.
    I do like the Renault Clio RS however it lacking in a lot of the creature comforts im used to in my current car, the Polo seemed to be a good compromise. But now I'm thinking about an Alfa Romeo Guiletta again, I just wasnt sure about the interior build quality but thats the same with the Clio.

The interior in the Renault Clio looks tacky AF. Like any other french car... I just bought myself a 2012 GTI a few weeks ago. So far im very pleased with it. only 32000km on the meter so i guess its to early to tell if im about to have any problems. I knew bout the issues before i bought it, but i fell in love with it as soon as i gave it a test run. Im not going to waste any time beeing worried about possible problems with it. Just gonna enjoy it. And i really do. It's a sweet ass car. If anything happens, then so be it. Ill deal with it then.
    Ill probably be safe.
    Last edited by wrecksigge; 27-02-2017 at 04:49 PM.

Users Country Flag
    We bought a 2013 GTI only to find it drank oil. Took it to our local dealer who said it was fine, contacted Wakelings in Campbelltown who found that it needed the oil squirters changed. Since they did the work, oil use is now at an acceptable level.

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ScotRok View Post
    We bought a 2013 GTI only to find it drank oil. Took it to our local dealer who said it was fine, contacted Wakelings in Campbelltown who found that it needed the oil squirters changed. Since they did the work, oil use is now at an acceptable level.
    I had a really good experience at Wakelings Campbelltown too. I took it in because my A/C was cutting out intermittently, took it in first thing in the morning, mechanic looked at it straight away, did a software update and was fixed. The lady at the service counter was really helpful and also knew what she was talking about too, which I think is a big bonus as it makes you feel like they're not just a person who's there to take your cash.
    I drove down the street, realised the Bluetooth wasn't working so went back, I tried everything except repairing the phone and that was all that was needed. Also the mechanic fixed my doors not auto unlocking when I take the key out. Really helpful staff, only good dealership experience I have had.