Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LED Globes in 77tsi Reflector Headlamps

Users Country Flag

LED Globes in 77tsi Reflector Headlamps

I have been doing some research and hoping for some input from the "pro's"

The ADR's state that for HID and xenon headlamps washers and auto leveling is required, but not for LED's.

These are the globes i'm looking at H7 LED Headlight Upgrade Kit | Bloody Bright Lights

Only thinking about it because the Polo's lights are pretty woeful.. and upgrading to Osram nightbreakers didn't do the trick..

Any comments or thoughts about legality or light spread?

Thanks
    Luke
    I Sell Nissans Skodas.
    IT'S HEREEEEE 18' Skoda Octavia 110tsi Manual Hatch | Race Blue | Tech Pack | Luxury Pack | Panoramic Roof | Turini Alloys | Various VCDS Tweaks | RS Spoiler | Mars Bar Holder
    R.I.P; 13' VW Polo 77tsi Comfortline Manual | Candy White | Sport Pack | Pioneer AVH X3800DAB + Clarion Bass Pack

Users Country Flag
    I'd say the ADRs haven't kept up with the technology but would think that given light output in the specs these would be treated in the same way as HID from a legal standpoint.
    If it came to it you could possibly argue the technicality of the rules as written...

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Users Country Flag
    Have seen on other forums that you actually get more light output from lights that are 5000k or under. The 6000k ones appear whiter but the output is less.

Have a look here quite obvious the difference

HID Temps vs Brightness Facts - Corvette Forum
    Last edited by Hillbilly; 16-07-2015 at 05:33 PM.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    I have tried a similar upgrade in my wifes Nissan Dualis, the problem with LED is the gap in the light output (the LEDs are only top and bottom/ left and right vs HID etc 360' light output) so you get a section missing in the output onto the road.

MR
    MY 13.5 Candy White Polo GTi, with Xenons....
    - Gloss Black roof, Weitec, Whiteline, APR and Harding Performance bits
    - Sound, Mosconi D2 100.4DSP, Mosconi D2 150.2, HAT L6SE Carbon
    List of things to add, custom built subwoofer enclosure by Drivesound

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by RUFNIT View Post
    I the problem with LED is the gap in the light output (the LEDs are only top and bottom/ left and right vs HID etc 360' light output) so you get a section missing in the output onto the road.
    I think you'll find a lot of people are more interested in the comparison between halogens and LEDs as opposed to HID - I'm sure OP only mentions HID as there are no ADRs really covering the use of LEDs as main globes like, for instance, the 2015 GTI LED headlight option in this thread.
    You're also looking at people who are comparing $20-$70 Halogens vs ~$130 LED kits as opposed to LED to ~$2000 HID kits.

I'd be keen to find out more about those kits, given the wiring and fan/heatsink look significant. I'm not sure these would be necessarily plug and play.
    Mk8 Golf GTI

Users Country Flag
    My wife has factory LEDs in her Honda. They are brilliant. They are also worth a big pile of money and have a quite amazing looking lens in front of them to make them work properly.

So I'd be thinking those aftermarket units won't cut the mustard.
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    They are also worth a big pile of money and have a quite amazing looking lens in front of them to make them work properly.
    Big pile of money? The Jazz has them

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by pologti18t View Post
    Big pile of money? The Jazz has them
    I haven't seen the Jazz units but the Odyssey looks similar to these Accord units - I can't see there being much change from $1k for each assembly. Maybe I'm wrong.

LED Globes in 77tsi Reflector Headlamps-2015-honda-accord-hybrid-sedan-headlight-b-jpg
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by ill0gitech View Post
    I think you'll find a lot of people are more interested in the comparison between halogens and LEDs as opposed to HID - I'm sure OP only mentions HID as there are no ADRs really covering the use of LEDs as main globes like, for instance, the 2015 GTI LED headlight option in this thread.
    You're also looking at people who are comparing $20-$70 Halogens vs ~$130 LED kits as opposed to LED to ~$2000 HID kits.

I'd be keen to find out more about those kits, given the wiring and fan/heatsink look significant. I'm not sure these would be necessarily plug and play.
    I wouldn't expect the output to be anywhere near the factory Polo GTI LED's, I am just looking for something better than halogen due to the amount of night driving I do.

I have been advised that they are plug and play, but even if it isn't I wouldn't have a problem with modding it just a little.
    I Sell Nissans Skodas.
    IT'S HEREEEEE 18' Skoda Octavia 110tsi Manual Hatch | Race Blue | Tech Pack | Luxury Pack | Panoramic Roof | Turini Alloys | Various VCDS Tweaks | RS Spoiler | Mars Bar Holder
    R.I.P; 13' VW Polo 77tsi Comfortline Manual | Candy White | Sport Pack | Pioneer AVH X3800DAB + Clarion Bass Pack

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Quote Originally Posted by RUFNIT View Post
    I have tried a similar upgrade in my wifes Nissan Dualis, the problem with LED is the gap in the light output (the LEDs are only top and bottom/ left and right vs HID etc 360' light output) so you get a section missing in the output onto the road.

MR
    Is your wife's Dualis projector or reflector headlamp?
    I Sell Nissans Skodas.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast