Support VWWC

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LED Globes in 77tsi Reflector Headlamps

Users Country Flag

Has anyone checked what voltage the bulbs are getting? The wiring is fairly small so maybe the bulbs aren't getting the full 12v? Possibly it needs relays & a decent gauge harness.
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Tested over 16 LED Sets to find the highest quality LED fog light.
    Right - stock Halogen
    Left - upgraded LED

Wider light output pattern
    Higher peak light intensity
    1800lumens vs 900-950

Developing a version for low beam H7 at the moment with the manufacture which should blow HID's out of the water and not have the annoying glare either.

Unfortunately there are a Lot of LED's on the market that are simply dangerous to use at night time.
    PM for discounted price (fog lights available for all cars, low and high beam coming soon)

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by supernovaleds View Post

Tested over 16 LED Sets to find the highest quality LED fog light.
    Right - stock Halogen
    Left - upgraded LED

Wider light output pattern
    Higher peak light intensity
    1800lumens vs 900-950

Developing a version for low beam H7 at the moment with the manufacture which should blow HID's out of the water and not have the annoying glare either.

Unfortunately there are a Lot of LED's on the market that are simply dangerous to use at night time.
    PM for discounted price (fog lights available for all cars, low and high beam coming soon)
    Jeez! That looks fantastic!

Has any modification been done to the harness to support the LED's?

How does the LED cope with the fade on and off of the static corner light function on the fog lights?

When your H7 becomes available, I will be very very interested.
    I Sell Nissans Skodas.
    IT'S HEREEEEE 18' Skoda Octavia 110tsi Manual Hatch | Race Blue | Tech Pack | Luxury Pack | Panoramic Roof | Turini Alloys | Various VCDS Tweaks | RS Spoiler | Mars Bar Holder
    R.I.P; 13' VW Polo 77tsi Comfortline Manual | Candy White | Sport Pack | Pioneer AVH X3800DAB + Clarion Bass Pack

Quote Originally Posted by LukePolo View Post
    Jeez! That looks fantastic!

Has any modification been done to the harness to support the LED's?

How does the LED cope with the fade on and off of the static corner light function on the fog lights?

When your H7 becomes available, I will be very very interested.
    They perform differently than the halogens, can be made to perform identically (PWM with internal power supply for modulation from 100-0%)

The one thing I noticed straight away is that it lights up EVERYTHING on the sides of the road.

Users Country Flag
    I'll be interested in a set of the h7's too when you get them in

Quote Originally Posted by ill0gitech View Post
    I think you'll find a lot of people are more interested in the comparison between halogens and LEDs as opposed to HID - I'm sure OP only mentions HID as there are no ADRs really covering the use of LEDs as main globes like,
    ADRs (and EU regs) do indeed cover LEDs (and other light sources). It's the output that determines the additional hardware required (auto level, washers etc) to be fitted. These extras obviously bump up the cost.

LED headlights dip just under the 2000 lumen limit that stipulates autolevelling and washers.
    That's why you will see a number of cars fitted with LED headlights that no longer have headlight washers.
    Manufacturers will also do this with lower power HID setups (25w vs 35w)

So a good LED headlamp can pump out about 50% more lumens than the best halogen (road legal) bulb. This is sufficient for most road users and gives the "oh, must have " look. Also a definite power saving over HID or Halogen.

Not sure anyone can make a decent LED retrofit kit for a halogen setup.

Ok, so just following up.. I bought a set of H7 LED lights to go into my comfortlines reflector housings.

I bought V16 Turbo LED's 3600 Lumens, 40w.

These are it.. 2 X H7 60W Cree LED FOG Driving CAR Headlight Lamp Bulb 6000K White Super Bright | eBay

Basically had a crap time installing them, I bought two types of H7 clips, neither of them fit without dismembering them, which I did.

After I got it all in and switched on, there was absolutely no cut off, it was just two large round circles up against my garage wall, I got my mate to drive on the opposite side of the road, it was incredibly glarey.

Basically none of the light hit the road, it was a strong luminescent glow into the distance..

Swapped straight back to my halogens.

Didn't mind the colour of the LED's though... thats about all they were good for.

Not to mention the headlight adjustment switch didnt work while they were in either....
    I Sell Nissans Skodas.
    IT'S HEREEEEE 18' Skoda Octavia 110tsi Manual Hatch | Race Blue | Tech Pack | Luxury Pack | Panoramic Roof | Turini Alloys | Various VCDS Tweaks | RS Spoiler | Mars Bar Holder
    R.I.P; 13' VW Polo 77tsi Comfortline Manual | Candy White | Sport Pack | Pioneer AVH X3800DAB + Clarion Bass Pack

Users Country Flag
    I am interested in replacements LED headlights myself for the Polo but I've read somewhere that the reflector housing has to be designed for LED globes or there will be light scattered everywhere but on the road
    MY19 Polo GTi 2.0 DSG

Previous VW cars:MY16 Polo GTI manual, 2007 Jetta 2.0 TDi manual, 2001 VW Bora V6 4-Motion - flooded away

Quote Originally Posted by maxrob200 View Post
    I am interested in replacements LED headlights myself for the Polo but I've read somewhere that the reflector housing has to be designed for LED globes or there will be light scattered everywhere but on the road
    Thanks for that.... you might have read that in exactly what I just wrote... "After I got it all in and switched on, there was absolutely no cut off, it was just two large round circles up against my garage wall, I got my mate to drive on the opposite side of the road, it was incredibly glarey.

Basically none of the light hit the road, it was a strong luminescent glow into the distance.."
    I Sell Nissans Skodas.

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by LukePolo View Post
    Thanks for that.... you might have read that in exactly what I just wrote... "After I got it all in and switched on, there was absolutely no cut off, it was just two large round circles up against my garage wall, I got my mate to drive on the opposite side of the road, it was incredibly glarey.

Basically none of the light hit the road, it was a strong luminescent glow into the distance.."
    That could very well be the case...I wonder if we could just buy OEM complete LED fittings as found in the Lux pack option of MY15/16 GtI from a parts supplier
    MY19 Polo GTi 2.0 DSG

Previous VW cars:MY16 Polo GTI manual, 2007 Jetta 2.0 TDi manual, 2001 VW Bora V6 4-Motion - flooded away

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12