Thread: leaking coolant 6c 1.2 tsi 16v

leaking coolant 6c 1.2 tsi 16v

discovered my car has what looks a small coolant leak from end of engine/back of engine towards passenger side.
    it looks like the water pump and thermostat are in the same housing assembly. Any one changed one before ? are they known to fail it has only done 55th km but is 6 months outside of 3 year warrenty. Is it true they belt driven off back of motor?
    (pumps for sale show with a small belt).Any special tools required ? engine is 1.2 tsi 16v 2015 vw polo

Users Country Flag
    I haven't looked at these, but if that's the pump it's got, you'll need to factor in pulling the intake manifold, which means replacing injector seals. You'll need the tool set for the seal installation and sizing.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Took 2 hours to remove . Was the water pump leaking from shaft .bit disappointed it was shagged after such a relatively short life, considering it always been serviced by vw.dont need to remove intake manifold . Is belt driven off back of camshaft with a belt that isn’t much bigger than a rubber band ��

Users Country Flag
    Godzilla - What pump and belt did you buy, and where from? Looking at the same job, any advice appreciated.

Ordered one in through work . Belt because it had coolant on it and couldn’t order in through work I had to get it from vw.

I’ll check availability tomorrow and let you know if they have one and where you can order it from if you want

Users Country Flag
    Godzilla - Thanks for getting back to me. I purchased a pump and belt from Run Auto Parts - pics below.

Geba Water Pump 10635/1 - Made in Germany | Run Auto Parts
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails leaking coolant 6c 1.2 tsi 16v-img_2504-2-jpg   leaking coolant 6c 1.2 tsi 16v-img_2506-jpg  

leaking coolant 6c 1.2 tsi 16v-img_2505-jpg  
    Last edited by PDG; 05-09-2020 at 04:31 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Hey, been searching this doesn't seem to be the most common problem, however I have a leak 2016 Polo Tsi, very slow leak but it was enough to pool up on the gearbox a substantial amount and trigger the low coolant light.
    Im just wondering how hard it is to remove the coolant pump/thermostat housing, did you need any special tools?

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mist4h20 View Post
    Hey, been searching this doesn't seem to be the most common problem, however I have a leak 2016 Polo Tsi, very slow leak but it was enough to pool up on the gearbox a substantial amount and trigger the low coolant light.
    Im just wondering how hard it is to remove the coolant pump/thermostat housing, did you need any special tools?
    Actually found this neat little video: VW Polo water pump and thermostat housing replacement - VOLKSWAGEN - YouTube

Maybe that may help anyone else in my situation