Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Known issues with DSG??

Users Country Flag

Known issues with DSG??

Hi
    Have recently purchased a 2011 Polo with 79klms on it, its a comfortline model with 17" VW alloys fitted and dsg. Have had the timing chain issue and got warranty on that 100% parts and 70% labour while the car was there I had the 75K service done. Went to pick up car and service manage wants to show me an issue with the transmission. He says that the transmission shift pattern is out of spec, but it tests electrically as OK. Then he shows me the centre of the gearbox casing and points to an oil weep/leak and that the gearbox has been opened and resealed. He says that the seam sealer thats barely visible is proof. I'm smelling BS as he says that no VW dealer would ever open a DSG gearbox, if they have a fault they are sent to Germany for repair, dealers only fit complete gearboxes they have no manuals or training on gearbox disassembly and repair.
    I had reported strange **** behaviour at service time. Basically at low speeds the car surges, and reversing up my short moderately steep driveway, at low speed, it will lose all power and roll forward.
    On the road under hard acceleration shifts seem fine, but uphill and turning right there is a shudder.
    Low speed gear changes there is a definite metallic clunk from 2nd to 3rd.

Seems like I have a dodgy transmission, car is out of warranty, but the timing chain issue was fixed as I told them about ACCC and fit for purpose, and I now own 4 Vw's (if that made a difference is unknown).

Is there a known issue with the trans on this model, seems like there is? The service records showed that the previous owner had reported a shudder and I had paperwork that showed that a VW dealer checked the transmission and replaced both clutch packs as they were "out of spec". That paperwork has gone missing since we got the car back, but I reckon I could get a reprint as we know the rest of the service history.
    The dealer has said they are putting in a claim to VW on our behalf about the transmission, and we will be notified this week about the outcome, but the dealer was hinting that the gearbox had been opened by someone other than a VW dealer, which sounds like a way out if VW deny warranty on the trans?
    The car is immaculate and had one previous female owner, only some small scuffs on the rims and a couple of tiny body blemishes, looks like a new vehicle.
    Regards
    Steve
    2011 Polo Comfortline TSI Auto, 2012 Amarok Trendline manual, 2014 Amarok Highline auto, 2015 Caddy Maxi 2.0 TDI Auto

Users Country Flag
    VW put a 5year warranty on the DSG in about 2013/4 that was retrospective as I understood it. Have a look at older posts on here about it. It will probably only cover parts, but it sounds like youre dealer is a wanker anyway from other things youve told us. Can you not go elsewhere?

People have had faults with the mecatonics (sp?) unit that seemed to get oil in it past the seals on the 1.4 Gtis, that says to me that its inside something oily, probably the gearbox. Dont remember any 1.2s with that problem tho... worth searching thru here to see so, go right back to 2010 and read the posts I guess.

The clutch packs failed on the GTi models, but again I dont know about any 1.2s. I had one set in my Gti at 12k kms, and countless software refreshes over the years. But they are not in the gearbox as such, so I doubt the box would need to be opened to do that work.

The 1.8 GTis seem to have a thump/clunk from 2/3/2 which ive experienced, lots of info here on that, but the 1.4s dont do that, or at least mine never did. Ive never heard of a 1.2 doing that either tho and Ive driven a good few kms in them and my MIL has never had a problem with hers in 14k kms.

It does 'amuse' me that the dealer would deny any work has been done based on some sealant he can see, who knows its not factory or even if it was done at another dealer etc. Its like saying VW didnt rebuild my engine cos they used jubilee clips on the hoses and not the correct OEM crimp types, yet my local dealer did that work, 100%... I lived thru it so I know for sure.
    Bury S9 XL cradle for Touch Adaptor for sale: http://tinyurl.com/hgmjc4j

Sold my Shadow Blue MY12.5 3 door Polo GTI for a WRX Hyperblue...
    SPOC - 1st Four.... www.DeskDivers.com & www.PloProf.com & www.2smoked.com & www.JonWallis.com

Users Country Flag
    a quik google gave me whirlpool link to here:

5 Year VW Driveline Warranty (includes DSG)

SPOC - 1st Four.... www.DeskDivers.com & www.PloProf.com & www.2smoked.com & www.JonWallis.com

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks so much JonW, based on that info I'm sure my vehicle will be covered as its still within 5yrs and well under the Klms. I think the service manager was trying to put one over me, or give himself a backdoor out of having to rectify the issue with this vehicle.
    Problem where I live is that all the VW dealers within 2hrs drive are owned by the same company, Frizelle's. I'm in retail myself so I have some sympathy with any similar business because I know the difficulties of managing staff, to treat customers properly, everytime.
    Regards
    Steve
    2011 Polo Comfortline TSI Auto, 2012 Amarok Trendline manual, 2014 Amarok Highline auto, 2015 Caddy Maxi 2.0 TDI Auto

Got the car back from having the timing chain replaced. While I was there I had complained about low speed surging, especially in 3rd and 5th, where the engine will increase revs 200-300 rpm, shift pattern is harsh and at idle speeds in stop start conditions the gearbox is far from smooth.
    Was called out to look at the car with the service manager and he pointed out a slow leak and that at some point the gearbox had been opened. He could tell this, he said, by the gasket cement that had oozed from the seam in the gearbox halves, and that had not been wiped away. Photo attached.

So I check the engine as you do, and see a ton of gasket goo around the top cam chain cover, see photos attached. I'm going to head back and point this out to the service manager, as he told me VW would never do this and no-one in his workshop would leave excess gasket goo on the engine like this. The work looks like it could have been by the same guy (clearly it wasn't, but the point is that he cannot say what he did with any certainty)

Timing chain top cover

Gearbox seam showing excess gasket goo
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Known issues with DSG??-img_6199-jpg   Known issues with DSG??-img_6200-jpg  

Known issues with DSG??-img_6201-jpg  
    Regards
    Steve

Users Country Flag
    Jeez, sealant by Stevie Wonder... :/

Users Country Flag
    So they're denying a repair because the service manager 'thinks' that the gearbox 'may' have been opened and somehow tampered with? Even though the symptoms you're describing fall perfectly into the usual DQ200 DSG issues?
    Sounds like my local VW dealer's service department: blame the customer and take no responsibility for the car's inherent faults.
    Alex Aescht

MY13 Dark Silver VW up! 5-door 55MPI manual — Comfort Style Pack, Comfort Drive Pack, Maps + More, Panoramic Sunroof
    MY11 Pepper Grey VW Polo Comfortline 66TDI manual ― Comfort Pack, Audio Pack.

I'll let you all know how this pans out, the sealant on the timing chain cover is a joke and I'm going to ask that it be removed and done properly, just because the service manager was so smart arsed about no one ever applying sealant to a gearbox like that in his workshop wtf.
    Regards
    Steve

Users Country Flag
    Agreed you should push him on that seal job, its nasty and not something you would expect of a decent mechanic, it looks like a DIY job and it shouldnt when its been done by a dealer. His previous comments have essentially hoisted him by his own petard...

Users Country Flag

Has the car always been serviced at this dealership? Does seem like someone has tried to fix the problem for sure. Perhaps the original owner had his backyard mate attempt to fix it before selling it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast