Thread: Inherited the Polo - can I upgrade?

Inherited the Polo - can I upgrade?

Hi guys,

I inherited the wife’s polo as we’ve had a baby and she gets the bigger car for now.

It’s a 2014 Comfortline 77TSI 1.2L 85k kms

So a couple of things I was thinking of doing.

1) any performance upgrades/mods I can do for a bit more power? Don’t need racing power, just a bit more zip.

2) I’d like to change the steering wheel to a flat bottom wheel. Ive seen a few Second hand ones for sale on eBay, is it an easy swap over? Airbag issues?

3) I want to change the RCD310 to a 330+ and add a reversing camera. Again, is this an easy swap over? What happens to the little Bluetooth module on the passenger’s dash?

If you guys know of any links or any advice that’d be a huge help.

Thanks in advance.

Michael

Users Country Flag
    I looked at putting a reversing camera in my wifes Polo and as the number plate is in the bumper its too low to put the number plate light camera. The boot opener logo camera is currently about $600+ and you need a special adapter to fit it.

It goes well enough and I wouldnt be hotting it up too much with the DQ200 DSG or you will rip the arse out of it

Ours hasnt got Bluetooth so I dont know
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    I just pulled the RCD510, golf camera, adapter plate out of my polo. I just traded it, dealer gave me a mediocre deal so I pulled it out. Everything is in as new condition. I have the lock code. I will be putting it for sale $400+ post as soon as I get around to it. Let me know if interested.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Micksid View Post
    Hi guys,

I inherited the wife’s polo as we’ve had a baby and she gets the bigger car for now.

It’s a 2014 Comfortline 77TSI 1.2L 85k kms

So a couple of things I was thinking of doing.

1) any performance upgrades/mods I can do for a bit more power? Don’t need racing power, just a bit more zip.

2) I’d like to change the steering wheel to a flat bottom wheel. Ive seen a few Second hand ones for sale on eBay, is it an easy swap over? Airbag issues?

3) I want to change the RCD310 to a 330+ and add a reversing camera. Again, is this an easy swap over? What happens to the little Bluetooth module on the passenger’s dash?

If you guys know of any links or any advice that’d be a huge help.

Thanks in advance.

Michael
    1) Tunes are available for the 1.2TSI (about 100kw/200NM) and intakes are also available (neglible kw extra but nice noises)
    2) yes, provided its a MK6 GTI or R wheel, easy retrofit. Later 2015+ flatbottom wheels (with buttons) are harder due to different wiring for the buttons.
    3) 330+ easy. Camera is much harder.
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

Users Country Flag
    Well its got the problematic DQ200 in it so I wouldnt be adding too many ponies to it

As far as a reversing camera goes the numberplate one is really too low as its in the bumper and the badge one is $600+
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    Well its got the problematic DQ200 in it so I wouldnt be adding too many ponies to it

As far as a reversing camera goes the numberplate one is really too low as its in the bumper and the badge one is $600+
    The DQ200 is found in the Polo GTI where it handles a lot more power than a tuned 1.2TSI.

DQ200 can also be tuned to handle quite a bit of extra power. Should be tuned anyway as it helps in drivability and reduces wear on the clutches. Even the clutches can be upgraded if you wanted to spend even more money.
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...