Thread: Help purchasing a new VW GTi

Users Country Flag

Help purchasing a new VW GTi

Hi there,

So my wife and I are looking at getting a new car in 2 months and we've pretty much settled on a VW. We test drove the Golf R and fell in love. However our budget has since changed (now only $35k) and we want to know what your thoughts are and what discount we can expect to get.

So we have 2 options;

Option 1. We get a demo 2016-2017 Golf GTi and try to get the price down to what we're after.

Option 2. We get a New or demo 2016-2017 Polo GTi.

I understand there's very little difference in the two besides performance and some nicer interior. So I want to know if it's worth getting the Polo and then spending $1k on a ECU upgrade that will make it just as, if not more powerful than the Golf.

Is this risky? Will it void warranty? Etc.

Also, how much dealer discount do you think we can haggle?

Thank you all in advance.

Users Country Flag
    Biggest difference other than price brand new, is space.
    I went from an r32 to the polo gti, and it's significantly smaller.
    We have two kids and they still fit comfortably in the back, but there's not much middle seat like there was in the golf. Anyway the whole inside feels like you're closer to everything around you.

Boot is still big enough for us, but yeh fair bit smaller than the 32.
    That said I much prefer having a brand new car, even if I could have picked up a low km golf gti for same price.
    I like small cars, feels more fun to throw around, easy to park in tighter spots and squeeze through gaps.

I spent about $37k on road, luxury pack and driver assist pack, purchasing interstate with no discounts.
    Some guys on here have paid much less, I think you'd get out of it for a bit over $30 on road if you shop around.

There's a pretty big performance difference golf to polo in my experience and it gets further apart when you tune them both.
    But performance of the polo is still good enough!
    Pretty sure you'll void any warranty on engine/driveline with a flash tune. But someone else might have a different experience?
    The plug in modules are total crap waste of time.
    Flash tune isn't risky if you use APR/Recode or someone else reputable. They're very safe tunes.

So yeh if you want more room and more power, get the ex demo golf or one with about 15k if too expensive.
    If you like small brand new cars, can't go wrong with the polo Help purchasing a new VW GTi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    As above I think it all comes down to size and space. I own a 2010 MK6 GTI, and my gf recently purchased a 2013 POLO GTI.

From my perspective: the golf is perfect. I do a lot of snowboarding, MTB, etc. Everything fits in the golf really easily. I also have air ride and a pretty big sound system, and still have space left over. Plenty of room in the rear for passengers, and the seats are incredibly comfortable. As for the polo, I personally find it a bit small inside. The rear boot is ... ample? Not as much leg room as I would like, and when I drive I feel the steering wheel is in my crotch.
    However, I love driving the polo, it's zippy and handles very well! The GTI you are thinking of has the 1.8, which is even better than our 1.4 - so you'll have a blast in it.

In my gfs perspective, she obviously prefers the polo to my MK6. Everything inside fits her size perfectly, the reach to the steering wheel, the leg room, the seat size etc. So once again Id say it all comes down to size and space.

If it was my choice, I'd try to find a MK7 GTI for the budget you are looking at, which I think is doable. Have you considered avoiding a dealership and looking at second hand/private seller?

**Also in regards to your question about tuning, I have seen a tuned MK7 in our workshop before and the computers picked up the tune as soon as it was plugged in, so keep bare that in mind when making a decision!
    Last edited by GeorgeMK1; 08-05-2017 at 10:19 AM.
    - Orange Golf mk1 LS, 1.8 5speed, 32/36 - sold
    - Golf mk1 Swallowtail rebuild, completely stripped
    - Brown U.S import 81 cabby
    - 88 Honda crx b18cr

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by GtiDave View Post
    The plug in modules are total crap waste of time.
    There are many VW owners, including myself, who have fitted a Burger Motorsport JB1 or now JB4 to their VWs and I'm sure all would strongly disagree with your statement.

The JBs, once removed, have NEVER to the best of my knowledge, been 'detected'. The JB will give a power increase that is equal to or only marginally less than an ecu tune.
    2015 Polo GTI with DA pack : Milltek Turbo back exhaust | DD spacer | JB1 | VWR Turbo Intake elbow and intake hose | BMC panel filter | KW Street Comfort coilovers | Whiteline adjust. endlinks | Harding DSG Perf. tune | Wagner Intercooler| Dotz Mugello 17 x 8 32ET

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by car_nut View Post
    There are many VW owners, including myself, who have fitted a Burger Motorsport JB1 or now JB4 to their VWs and I'm sure all would strongly disagree with your statement.

The JBs, once removed, have NEVER to the best of my knowledge, been 'detected'. The JB will give a power increase that is equal to or only marginally less than an ecu tune.
    My humblest apologies!

I completely forgot about the jb1/4s.
    I've personally fitted several of them to BMWs in the past and they go much better.
    Also undetectable once removed.

In my head I was thinking about all the RaceChip and their counterfeits/rebrand type tuning modules.
    They're a popular choice for VAG owners and total garbage, which from experience I stand by 100%

By all means a Burger box is worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by GtiDave View Post
    My humblest apologies!

No worries GTiDave
    2015 Polo GTI with DA pack : Milltek Turbo back exhaust | DD spacer | JB1 | VWR Turbo Intake elbow and intake hose | BMC panel filter | KW Street Comfort coilovers | Whiteline adjust. endlinks | Harding DSG Perf. tune | Wagner Intercooler| Dotz Mugello 17 x 8 32ET