Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuel type and brand used?

Users Country Flag

Fuel type and brand used?

I have the Polo GTI which calls for 95 Ron.its about 1500kms old and have been running 98 V power in it.

Any recommendations or comments to add? Should I just use 95? Does v power work for others well?

I'm only getting 9lt/100km at the moment.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    My answer;

- Keep using 98
    - Mainly use Mobil (via 7Eleven)
    - It coughs/hesitates when cold on V-Power
    - Getting 7.3L/100km (country driving)

MY13 Kluger KX-S AWD / MY16 Polo GTI
    MK6 MY10 Golf GTI, 5dr Manual, Carbon Steel, Detroits, Tint
    T6 MY06 Peugeot 307 HDi Touring, Manual, Iron Grey, Tint

Users Country Flag
    i only ever run 98 in all my cars. even an hyundai excel that i owned years ago

Users Country Flag
    The extra detergents and additive packs added to most 98RON fuels is worth the cost over 95 alone.
    Alex Aescht

MY13 Dark Silver VW up! 5-door 55MPI manual — Comfort Style Pack, Comfort Drive Pack, Maps + More, Panoramic Sunroof
    MY11 Pepper Grey VW Polo Comfortline 66TDI manual ― Comfort Pack, Audio Pack.

Users Country Flag
    I've mainly run 98ron in my Gen 1 EA888 1.8tsi in the 170,000km I've had it. It's been re-mapped for the bulk of that mileage.

These days I usually run Caltex Vortex or 7/11 but there have been thousands of litres of Shell V-Power put through it too when Shell wasn't 5c more than everyone else. Occasionally BP when it's cheap but doing 500km a week I tend to try & save some money.

On a cents per km basis, 98 ron works out the same price as 95 ron (for me) with the added bonus of a fraction more torque.

If you look on Groupon they have a "5% off Woolworths e-gift cards" about every 6 weeks. Combine that with woolies rewards and it makes 98ron justa as cheap as the competitors 95ron.
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Users Country Flag
    All the brands sell the same fuel, it all comes in on the same boat from Asia.
    If your car is designed for 95 just use that, you probably wont get any benefit from the 98 other than less likely to knock, and a lighter wallet.

If you want to save some cash, get the 7/11 fuel price lock app, work out how to spoof the GPS and lock in the lowest price in Australia every week. Yesterday I paid 110.9 for 98RON when the board price was 139.9.

As far as consumption goes it will vary a lot based on how you drive, put your foot down in peak hour traffic and it will go stupid high, long runs on the hwy with cruise control will see it drop dramatically.
    You would need to switch to a different fuel for many many tanks to work out if there is actually a difference a 500km test would not be objective enough.
    MK4 GTI - Sold
    MK5 Jetta Turbo - Sold
    MK5 Jetta 2.Slow - Until it dies.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by JustCruisn View Post
    All the brands sell the same fuel, it all comes in on the same boat from Asia.
    Shell (and I believe BP) refine their fuels in Australia, while the others ship theirs in refined from Singapore. Once the crude is refined, the fuel companies do add their own additives to make the fuels 'theirs' however at the end of the day there is likely very little difference between them all.
    Where we live, there's a Shell on one side of the train line, and a Woolworths/Caltex on the other. Generally it's significantly easier to just stay on this side of the train line and grab the Shell fuel.
    Alex Aescht

MY13 Dark Silver VW up! 5-door 55MPI manual — Comfort Style Pack, Comfort Drive Pack, Maps + More, Panoramic Sunroof
    MY11 Pepper Grey VW Polo Comfortline 66TDI manual ― Comfort Pack, Audio Pack.

Users Country Flag
    I like this video
    https://youtu.be/WYlk9C1o0nk
    MK4 GTI - Sold
    MK5 Jetta Turbo - Sold
    MK5 Jetta 2.Slow - Until it dies.

Users Country Flag
    I run my 6C GTI on 95 most weeks. If the forecast is for a hot week Ill put 98 in. Havent found a noticeable difference between the two.

Users Country Flag

Our Golf and Polo have had 98 from Shell, BP & Caltex/Woolworths in them and I never notice any difference in performance or economy. I just go for the cheapest & most convenient. 95 has been used twice and didn't notice any difference then either.
    Nov '15 Polo 81TSI manual white

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast