Thread: Error airbag / error start/stop

Users Country Flag

Error airbag / error start/stop

Afternoon all. 2016 Polo GTI 6C has just started giving me the above two errors on startup. I also get the orange airbag warning symbol and stop start function on vehicle no longer works.
    I have checked battery myself with a cheap voltmeter and it seems ok but it is a number of years old.
    Any ideas on possible reason for both errors.
    Hoping just battery related.
    MK4 GTI Revo Stage 1 / BFI Dogbone Mounts / 710N DV

Users Country Flag
    Modern cars are heavily reliant on their power supply due to all of the electronics on board - and a failing battery causes some weird gremlins to occur and error lights on the dash. Also you mentioned that the start/stop function has stopped working, and a battery with insufficient voltage is one of the triggers to disable the start/stop function.

So it sounds like you probably have a battery thats about to die. Best drop into a battery shop quick smart to have it tested and replaced if necessary.

Also note that using the start/stop system is a battery killer. It might save you 1L of fuel each week but it will kill your expensive battery in record time which completely negates any savings from the start/stop system.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Cheers Lucas.

Am I able to swap the battery out for a suitable replacement on my own? My manual says only to use a qualified workshop.
    Car is APR Stage 1. I used to swap batteries out in my MK4 with no issues but this car has a lot more electronics.

Users Country Flag
    Swap it yourself mate. There will be some lights but a quick nip around the block should deal with them

Users Country Flag
    A Battery on a S/S enabled car should be coded in to enable the car to recalibrate the charging rate for a new battery. Not doing so could shorten the life of the new battery. not hard to do and definitely beneficial.

If a nip around the block would do it why is it advised to code it in.?????

Also as I understand it S/S was designed to cut emissions in high traffic situations by turning engine off while stationary.

NOT to save fuel and as said its hardly worthwhile for that reason.
    Last edited by Hillbilly; 07-05-2024 at 09:51 AM.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

So battery world just changed it out for me and now my multifunctioning steering wheel controls dont work at all.
    I still have the same two errors showing and multifunction display on dash is stuck on Range.
    Car starts and drives fine but have to go off analogue speedo.
    Time on dash changed from 10am to 1 pm also?
    Took it back to Battery World who checked it with Yu-Fit.
    Problem not solved. No buttons on steering wheel work including horn.
    My local mechanic said it may be a clock spring?
    Seems a big coincidence for mine?
    I will get them to scan the vehicle when they have availability but open to any and all suggestions
    Last edited by bullsta; 07-05-2024 at 11:36 AM.

Users Country Flag
    Well have had a couple of new batteries in VW and found in the long run it was no dearer to go to the dealer and get it done properly.

Getting numbnuts to play leads to what you now have and can cost a lot more to fix that getting them to do the battery.

Did they code it in and if not why not. Is quite simple to do and plenty of how to's on here.

Take the leads off for half na hour and then see what happens when you put them back
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag

bullsta: Yes, I suspect that the battery replacement might have been a tad premature (never mind- chalk it up to experience)!!

For future reference- before you throw money at a solution - ALWAYS (capital letters for emphasis) get a SCAN of the car. I assume from your words that you don't own a diagnostic device - but even if you have to pay for the SCAN report, its worth every $ spent because this car is able to tell you why it is unhappy!

Information about the health of the vehicle is sitting in fault memory in the car - just waiting for you to access it and make an informed diagnostic decision about the fix!! And, if you aren't familiar with the techno-speak in the SCAN report - your forum colleagues here are happy to assist!

Don
    PS: I tend to agree with your mechanic about the clock-spring - but ONLY after reading the error report in the SCAN
    Please don't PM to ask questions about coding, or vehicle repairs. The better place to deal with these matters is on-line, in the forum proper. That way you get the benefit of the expertise of the wider forum! Thank you.