Thread: Component protection

Component protection

looking to swap a golf 1.4 92 kw motor into my 6c polo . Vaguely aware of vw component protection . Guessing if I swap in the ecu from the golf I値l need to overcome this . Any one other than vw that can do this ? Seeing as I値l probably get a apr tune am I better to just keep my ecu and see if they can dump in the golf map ? Any help would be appreciated.

Users Country Flag

I was under the impression both are ea211 family of engines . One a 1.2 and one a 1.4 . Both engines only have variable valve timing on one cam vs 110kw that has on both cams . Engines look identical at least cosmetically . Both are from basically same year car . 2105 for the 1.2 and 2016 for the golf 1.4

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by godzilla View Post
    looking to swap a golf 1.4 92 kw motor into my 6c polo . Vaguely aware of vw component protection . Guessing if I swap in the ecu from the golf I値l need to overcome this . Any one other than vw that can do this ? Seeing as I値l probably get a apr tune am I better to just keep my ecu and see if they can dump in the golf map ? Any help would be appreciated.
    hmm........ I would suggest that you seriously consider doing a heap of research on this project before spending any money.I don't think that you will have CP issues with the hex01 module - if the polo uses the same arrangement as the Golf . These are the modules and the CAN arrangement for what VW calls the CP "constellation".

Notice that J623 (the engine module) isn't in the picture.

But it's entirely another question as to how the Golf 1.4 92KW engine will run on your existing ECU -and if you change the module, how well the (foreign) Golf ECU will be accepted by the rest of the native modules on the Polo CAN network. It's certainly an interesting problem - I don't have any answers, but my advice is to be informed before committing cash (through research)

Don
    Please don't PM to ask questions about coding, or vehicle repairs. The better place to deal with these matters is on-line, in the forum proper. That way you get the benefit of the expertise of the wider forum! Thank you.

Users Country Flag
    CP isn't involved, however the ECU is part of the immobilizer scheme, so it needs to be adapted along with the keys using ODIS online before the car will start.
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Surely if the engine is from the same family and appears to just be a stroked and or bored version of my engine and both seem to use the same family of ecu I should be just able to dump fuel and spark maps from the golf ecu ie my idea for getting a apr or similar tune dropped into my ecu . Excuse my ignorance I come from a background working with jap cars .

Users Country Flag
    Surely if the engine is from the same family and appears to just be a stroked and or bored version of my engine and both seem to use the same family of ecu I should be just able to dump fuel and spark maps from the golf ecu ie my idea for getting a apr or similar tune dropped into my ecu . Excuse my ignorance I come from a background working with jap cars .
    Listen to two of the wisest heads on the forum
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag

The minute you assume anything, you are lost. Don't count on anyone especially APR being able to simply cut and paste bits of code and make it run properly.