Support VWWC

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 6R GTI misfiring

Users Country Flag

+1 to what Gavs said about this in general.

The bit i dont see is why you think the intake manifold would have carbon build up in it Gavs? I believe that the combustion chamber would have it but wouldnt expect it in the intakes unless the turbo was leaking oil or the valves/seals were shot. In my oil burning 1.4 the pistons had so much build up the workshop manager took pics as he was shocked by it, surprised it wasnt pinking etc. The pistons/rings were replaced and the head cleaned up. The oil came from under the pistons, up past the rings and into the combustion chamber. This could cause a misfire with oily plugs and pre ignition etc so sounds like they might be getting closer to understanding the issue and hence a fix.
    Bury S9 XL cradle for Touch Adaptor for sale: http://tinyurl.com/hgmjc4j

Sold my Shadow Blue MY12.5 3 door Polo GTI for a WRX Hyperblue...
    SPOC - 1st Four.... www.DeskDivers.com & www.PloProf.com & www.2smoked.com & www.JonWallis.com

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by JonW View Post
    +1 to what Gavs said about this in general.

The bit i dont see is why you think the intake manifold would have carbon build up in it Gavs? I believe that the combustion chamber would have it but wouldnt expect it in the intakes unless the turbo was leaking oil or the valves/seals were shot. In my oil burning 1.4 the pistons had so much build up the workshop manager took pics as he was shocked by it, surprised it wasnt pinking etc. The pistons/rings were replaced and the head cleaned up. The oil came from under the pistons, up past the rings and into the combustion chamber. This could cause a misfire with oily plugs and pre ignition etc so sounds like they might be getting closer to understanding the issue and hence a fix.
    Carbon buildup in intake manifolds and the backs of intake valves is very common in DI engines as soot builds up from the EGR and doesn't get cleaned from the intake valves by the injectors (as they are located in the combustion chamber as opposed to upstream of the intake valves in non-DI engines).
    Alex Aescht

MY13 Dark Silver VW up! 5-door 55MPI manual — Comfort Style Pack, Comfort Drive Pack, Maps + More, Panoramic Sunroof
    MY11 Pepper Grey VW Polo Comfortline 66TDI manual ― Comfort Pack, Audio Pack.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Yesterday they said it looks like a couple of valves are "burnt". Should find out tomorrow if they're replacing any valves. Might not know if it actually fixes the misfire before this weekend though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ben

2015 Polo GTI & 2019 Golf R

Quote Originally Posted by alexaescht View Post
    Carbon buildup in intake manifolds and the backs of intake valves is very common in DI engines as soot builds up from the EGR and doesn't get cleaned from the intake valves by the injectors (as they are located in the combustion chamber as opposed to upstream of the intake valves in non-DI engines).
    This is basically it.

What I'm saying is that if there wasn't any in the intake manifold yet the cylinder head that the intake manifold is bolted to is so bad that it needs removing and cleaning, how is the intake manifold clear of carbon build up....?

Stage 2+ Intercooler Carbon Intake Downpipe Swaybar DV+ Remsa.

Users Country Flag
    Cool ta for the info, always good to learn something about modern motors.
    Bury S9 XL cradle for Touch Adaptor for sale: http://tinyurl.com/hgmjc4j

Sold my Shadow Blue MY12.5 3 door Polo GTI for a WRX Hyperblue...
    SPOC - 1st Four.... www.DeskDivers.com & www.PloProf.com & www.2smoked.com & www.JonWallis.com

Today they told me they're going to have to replace the head and I should get the car back at the end of this week, 2 months since they first saw the car.

Ben

And today they told me it won't be ready before next week. Also found out they're putting a brand new head on because a couple of the valve guides were worn.

Ben

Users Country Flag
    And so the plot thickens!!!
    MY18 VW Passat Alltrack Wolfsburg Edition + Panoramic Sunroof + some extra goodies... (Pure White)
    MY17 ŠKODA Superb 206TSI 4x4 + Sunroof + Tech Pack + Comfort Pack + some extra goodies... (Moon White)

Latest update:

They have fitted the new head and the engine light came on again when the dealer test drove it. There was no apparent misfiring but the light came on none-the-less. So they've sent this info to VW Australia, and I assume they will forward it to Germany for the next suggestion.
    Ben

Sorry to hear can't they check the error codes and try to diagnose? I thought they could connect online to Germany?

B6 Passat Wagon No KESSY

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast