Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6R/6C what's the difference?

Users Country Flag

6R/6C what's the difference?

Pardon my ignorance but what exactly is the difference between a 6R & a 6C.

My recently purchased 1.8L 2015 GTI Polo has a "6R" in the prefix of the vin # with these figures following in the service book: 6C1 9TZ

Users Country Flag
    6R is the 2009-2014 Polo (pre-facelift) and 6C is the 2014+ Polo (facelift). Yours is the 6C as its facelifted and has the new 1.8T.
    Alex Aescht

MY13 Dark Silver VW up! 5-door 55MPI manual — Comfort Style Pack, Comfort Drive Pack, Maps + More, Panoramic Sunroof
    MY11 Pepper Grey VW Polo Comfortline 66TDI manual ― Comfort Pack, Audio Pack.

Users Country Flag
    Odd that is has a 6R prefix.

Engine wise, the 6R has the 1.4ltr Twin Charged (Super + Turbo), and 6C has the 1.8ltr Turbo.

Users Country Flag
    the 6r and 6c are the same chassis, the only thing different are new engine, bumper and body kit, right?
    2015 MY15 POLO GTI DSG WITH LUXURY PACK..Previous ride : 2014 VW GOLF 90 TSI, 2010 HOLDEN VE SS UTE, 1994 HONDA CIVIC EG ALL MOTOR H22A WITH B16 BOX, 2008 HONDA CIVIC FN2 TYPE R, 2002 SUBARU WRX EVO SPEC.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by banong View Post
    the 6r and 6c are the same chassis, the only thing different are new engine, bumper and body kit, right?
    Pretty much. There are interior tweaks and other small differences, but same overall chassis and metal bodywork.
    Alex Aescht

MY13 Dark Silver VW up! 5-door 55MPI manual — Comfort Style Pack, Comfort Drive Pack, Maps + More, Panoramic Sunroof
    MY11 Pepper Grey VW Polo Comfortline 66TDI manual ― Comfort Pack, Audio Pack.

Users Country Flag
    6C also has the new wheels which look a lot nicer than the 6R (in my subjective opinion)

The MY16 also comes with the new media system as standard, including reverse camera and app connect.
    Last edited by Tobes_WIR35; 04-01-2016 at 08:24 AM.
    His: F22 BMW M240i Coupe Hers: F56 Mini Cooper S JCW
    Previous:
    His:MY16 Scirocco R DSG - HP Stage 1, Racingline springs, RamAir CAI, MY11 Golf GTI Adidas DSG, APR st1, Carbonio Stage 1+2 intake, S2TPP shifters Hers: MY16 Polo GTI DSG, MY12 VW Up! 3 door manual

Users Country Flag
    And the 6R comfortlines came with 195/55 15 tyres while the newer 6C comes with 185/60 15 tyres which are 1% bigger in circumference. And on mine it now means the odo is 1% pessimistic - it indicates 99km for every true 100km that it has really done. They are the Premium Contact 2 Continentals and definitely not as good gripping as the 205/55 16 Michelins on our Golf but much quieter road noise. and the Polo does not steer, ride, handle or stop as well as that remarkable mk7 Golf. The lack of multi link rear suspension is noticeable especially over wavering sealed surfaces.
    Nov '15 Polo 81TSI manual white

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by dmpolo View Post
    Pardon my ignorance but what exactly is the difference between a 6R & a 6C.

My recently purchased 1.8L 2015 GTI Polo has a "6R" in the prefix of the vin # with these figures following in the service book: 6C1 9TZ
    dmpolo: I'm not so sure that it's correct to characterise the Polo 6C as a face lift to the 6R! Sure visually, the front and rear sections appear to have been redesigned from the 6R. But, the basic DNA of the 6C is unlike it's processor (IMO) and much of the car's technology is oriented towards the "Modular Transverse Matrix" concept (MQB) on which models such as the Audi A3 and Golf mk7 are built. Fact is that the 6C has benefited greatly from developments that have been made on these other MQB models and it is a vastly different beast to the 6R

For example, the Polo 6C gets the new 2nd generation modular infotainment system (MIB) that is based on MOST 150 technology (this is an optical fibre network that links together all the components in a ring topology)

Don 
    Last edited by DV52; 05-01-2016 at 02:39 PM.
    Please don't PM to ask questions about coding, or vehicle repairs. The better place to deal with these matters is on-line, in the forum proper. That way you get the benefit of the expertise of the wider forum! Thank you.

Users Country Flag
    interesting DV52 - however drive the new Golf and new Polo and it is very obvious that the Polo is not based on the new MQB platform. The Golf is waaaay ahead. The 6C really is a mild facelift - rear bumper, front bumper, headlights, grill with internal trim changes, the Golf steering wheel but then many of the electronic updates that you have mentioned - also stop/start. I just wish it got the electric park brake / auto hold of the Golf too. The bonus then would have been freeing up the console area and getting rid of that handbrake that is not always easy to use because of the arm rest. One amazing to me thing about the Polo is that it is noticeably smoother and quieter than the Golf - just so obvious to anyone who travels in them back to back.
    Nov '15 Polo 81TSI manual white

Users Country Flag

Moutainman: I hope that we can agree to disagree!

You only need to compare the Adapatation channel structure of a Polo 6C with that of a mk7 to see how similar the two are (at a fundamental DNA level) and then compare the admaps from the 6C with that of its predecessor (the 6R) to see how much advancement has occurred in the current model! Sure the features that you have mentioned might be missing, but the vehicle architecture and network topology design that underpins the 6C makes it real easy to add this stuff later
    Don
    Last edited by DV52; 05-01-2016 at 02:55 PM.
    Please don't PM to ask questions about coding, or vehicle repairs. The better place to deal with these matters is on-line, in the forum proper. That way you get the benefit of the expertise of the wider forum! Thank you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast