Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 66TSI vs 77TSI fuel economy

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by expatNoob View Post
    My other pick was a 2008 TDI 1.9 manual Golf with 143k, but I'd be paranoid that I'd need to drive it a minimum of 30 minutes every time or I'd be ruining the engine.
    A Polo of that age will not have the DPF (diesel particular filter) which is what is the problem is on more modern diesel engines when doing lots of short trips.

The 1.9 TDI is a pretty damn reliable motor.

BUT, these Polo's are getting pretty old now and will start having age related issues (worn suspension, engine mounts, rusted exhaust, oil leaks etc etc. Personally I would buy a newer car with your budget.
    Last edited by Lucas_R; 04-04-2022 at 04:53 PM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    A Polo of that age will not have the DPF (diesel particular filter) which is what is the problem is on more modern diesel engines when doing lots of short trips.

The 1.9 TDI is a pretty damn reliable motor.

BUT, these Polo's are getting pretty old now and will start having age related issues (worn suspension, engine mounts, rusted exhaust, oil leaks etc etc. Personally I would buy a newer car with your budget.
    I'm not sure how long I'll have the car for - might be moving overseas in the next year, so buying new isn't really worth it.

Oh, and the TDI is a Golf. The 1.9 is a nice little workhorse, but the one I'm looking is on 143k, when all the structural issues start cropping up. It also seems like the fuel efficiency with thhe Golf TDI is on par with the Polo 1.2, so it's a toss-up.

Users Country Flag
    I'm not sure how long I'll have the car for - might be moving overseas in the next year, so buying new isn't really worth it.

Oh, and the TDI is a Golf. The 1.9 is a nice little workhorse, but the one I'm looking is on 143k, when all the structural issues start cropping up. It also seems like the fuel efficiency with thhe Golf TDI is on par with the Polo 1.2, so it's a toss-up.
    Sorry I thought you said it was a Polo. They offered the same 1.9TDI engine in both the Polo and Golf in that 2006-2009 period. Obviously the Golf is heavier so the fuel consumption would be better in the lighter Polo.

Do you want auto or manual?

For 10k in the current market you are going to be quite limited in what you can get that is still decent.

Cars to avoid:
    Holden Cruze. Absolute crap cars. Terrible auto gearbox.
    Ford Focus with auto transmission (manuals are fine). Autos have lots of issues
    Any VW/Audi/Skoda with the 1.4 twincharged engine (supercharged and turbocharged). Run even faster if it has the 7 speed auto (DSG) transmission.

carsales.com.au

carsales.com.au

carsales.com.au

carsales.com.au
    Last edited by Lucas_R; 05-04-2022 at 10:33 AM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    Sorry I thought you said it was a Polo. They offered the same 1.9TDI engine in both the Polo and Golf in that 2006-2009 period. Obviously the Golf is heavier so the fuel consumption would be better in the lighter Polo.

Do you want auto or manual?

For 10k in the current market you are going to be quite limited in what you can get that is still decent.

Cars to avoid:
    Holden Cruze. Absolute crap cars. Terrible auto gearbox.
    Ford Focus with auto transmission (manuals are fine). Autos have lots of issues
    Any VW/Audi/Skoda with the 1.4 twincharged engine (supercharged and turbocharged). Run even faster if it has the 7 speed auto (DSG) transmission.
    I've seen maybe one or two TDI Polos on the market but they all seem to have the 1.6. Very few Golfs around with the 1.9, nearly all of them are the 2.0 Dieselgate models. I actually really liked the 1.2 turbo on the Polo, it's got a lot of pep and pickup. Last year, I borrowed a friend's 2009 1.3L Yaris for several months (only had 75K on it) and that thing was awful. No power at all and the paint was just peeling everywhere.

I'll take either auto or manual, I don't mind driving manual so that gives me an advantage in pricing and possibly maintenance. I heard the DSG was problematic, though?

I'm also in the minority on these forums, as I'm after efficiency/practicality over performance.
    Last edited by expatNoob; 05-04-2022 at 12:20 PM.

Users Country Flag
    The DSG in the 1.2 Polo's will absolutely give you an expensive headache at some point, avoid and go for the manuals only.

The 1.9TDI was in the Mk4 (9N3) Polo and is pretty bulletproof, although now getting a bit old. The 1.6TDI in the Mk5 (6R) Polos is not bad actually and can be chipped for more power and even better fuel consumption although a bit pricey compared to your budget.

A rare beast was the 1.4 naturally aspirated base model in the 6R Polos, these are slowish but very reliable and reasonably good on fuel. Less than 10K mostly.

You get any of the Polo's you are looking for, for far less if you are willing to consider a car that has been repaired (in some way) before. If you don't intend to keep it for ever this may be a really good option. I did exactly that Polo restoration project - 2016 66TSI. The whole project, including buying the car and getting it fixed cost me less than $6000 for a 2016 66TSI .... obviously I did a lot myself and was hands-on the rest with my contacts, but they are out there in the market (facebook marketplace) generally for about $9K.
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkie View Post
    You get any of the Polo's you are looking for, for far less if you are willing to consider a car that has been repaired (in some way) before. If you don't intend to keep it for ever this may be a really good option. I did exactly that Polo restoration project - 2016 66TSI. The whole project, including buying the car and getting it fixed cost me less than $6000 for a 2016 66TSI .... obviously I did a lot myself and was hands-on the rest with my contacts, but they are out there in the market (facebook marketplace) generally for about $9K.
    Yeah, I'm looking for something I can drive out the door. Not seeing any quality 2015+ WOVIs in the immediate area.

The 2014/15 one I'm looking at has the Composition Colour (5") with Bluetooth and the other one (2015/16) has the upgraded 6.5" and camera. I can't seem to get an straight answer on whether the 2014/15 5" will work with a reverse camera based on the 3,084 Google and forum searches I did.

Users Country Flag
    Yeah, I'm looking for something I can drive out the door. Not seeing any quality 2015+ WOVIs in the immediate area.

The 2014/15 one I'm looking at has the Composition Colour (5") with Bluetooth and the other one (2015/16) has the upgraded 6.5" and camera. I can't seem to get an straight answer on whether the 2014/15 5" will work with a reverse camera based on the 3,084 Google and forum searches I did.
    I believe this is a WOVI one, can probably negotiate a bit more there ....

Not too sure about this 1, probably negotiate a bit, but could very possibly be non-WOVI
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkie View Post
    I believe this is a WOVI one, can probably negotiate a bit more there ....

Not too sure about this 1, probably negotiate a bit, but could very possibly be non-WOVI
    The first one's been sold (I looked at his other listings). The second one (silver) is actually the 2015/16 I'm considering - there's a red 2014/15 on CarSales I looked at and liked, but it doesn't have the bells and whistles of the 2015/16 - e.g., steel wheels, no tint, no camera. If I could talk the owner of the 2014/15 down to $10.5, it might be worth it...? (Although I do love the mags on that 2015/16... )
    Last edited by expatNoob; 05-04-2022 at 06:49 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12