Support VWWC

Thread: 2016 Polo GTI Air Condition stops working after 10 minutes

2016 Polo GTI Air Condition stops working after 10 minutes

Hi Folks,

After googling around I couldn't find a solution and any insight.

Last month I took my Polo 2016 GTI to the mechanic to have my AC regassed. They said that I had a leak at the evaporator, and only 10% of refrigerant was in the system. I took it to another mechanic for a second opinion and they came back saying the same thing, so I had my evap replaced.

The AC was working well for the first two weeks. From two weeks after the replacement, I noticed that the AC would consistently stop working after 10 minutes. The only way to get the AC to work again was by turning off the car and turning it back on, so I occasionally did this when I was at a red light. The AC would then work for another 10-15 minutes.

I took it back to the shop and they suggested that the compressor needs replacing. They said that the low pressure reading was on the higher end, and that the compressor probably couldn't handle the full amount of refrigerant anymore.

Does this sound accurate? I have already paid 2.25 for the evap, so another 1.2 for the compressor is hard to swallow. The $1.2k includes replacing the solenoid valve. I wanted some opinions about whether I should get the full compressor replaced or just attempt to replace the solenoid first.

Cheers,
    hdp9
    Last edited by hdp9; 27-02-2021 at 11:22 AM.

Users Country Flag
    Sounds eerily similar to the problem I'm currently having with the aircon in my 2014 GTI. Have it booked for diagnosis in a little over a week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ben

2015 Polo GTI & 2019 Golf R

Users Country Flag
    Hi all - adding to this old thread.

I have a 2016 Comfortline. In May 2021 with about 35K on the clock and full selling VW dealer history, VW diagnosis was evaporator and condenser were leaking and needing replacing. Instead of hitting up VW for a fair life / goodwill claim, the original owner paid $350 for a regas and stop leak at a local AC shop and sold the car to me and I got the surprising news of hot air when I went to use the AC when the weather warmed up a few months later.

After a summer living without aircon I have booked in for evaporator and condenser. The going rate is around $3000 - $3500 for this from a few different places including VW. It is a full dash out job with about 12 hours labour. This is the most expensive repair I have had done on a car in 30 years + of car ownership and about 20% of the value of the car, so a tough call to make. The alternative was doing what the previous owner did and living without air con and then getting another regas before selling onto some other sucker in the winter months.

Apparently this is quite common on Polos of this vintage and maybe other VAG cars with the same air con system, so if you're shopping around for one, make sure you thoroughly test the air con and look for any signs of recent regassing / AC stickers under the bonnet etc.

MK
    If

Users Country Flag

Far out....big job - shouldnt be happening on such a new car. I just found these pics of the repair on a Polo: Pics on Facebook
    Last edited by Lucas_R; 23-11-2022 at 10:27 AM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler