Thread: 2016 6C 1.8 TSI GTI Water Pump

Users Country Flag

2016 6C 1.8 TSI GTI Water Pump

I have a 2016 Polo Gti 1.8 TSI. and have just realised the coolant level has dropped below minimum. My local mechanic has told me the water pump is leaking and that it is a common problem.
    Apparently a $1700 dollar fix!
    Car only has 50 k and has been serviced with one garage for the last four years.
    Do VW accept any liabilty or come to the party with cheaper rates to repair this if its a known fault.
    I have come from a MK4 GTI so understand these cars tend to replicate the same faults.
    Thanks
    MK4 GTI Revo Stage 1 / BFI Dogbone Mounts / 710N DV

Users Country Flag
    That's expensive for the job. Some techs have worked out how to do them without removing the inlet.
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Users Country Flag
    Just out of warranty, have a go, push the dealer and then launch into VW Customer Service. Make noise about going to the ACCC, known fault, regular occurrence, should have been a recall etc etc.

Cheers
    Gary
    Golf Mk7.5 R, Volvo S60 Polestar, Skyline R32GTST

Users Country Flag
    Water pumps are very common on this engine. Have been for years yet VW dont seem to give a hoot.

The waterpump itself is about $630, so you are being quoted about $1000 in labour to fit it and fill/flush the coolant.

06L121012L & 06L121111M - Water Pump & Thermostat Housing Bundle – VAGPARTS Australia
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    My son's 6C GTi is booked-in for the 25th for the same job. Our quote was $1700 if the thermostat housing also needed replacing, about $1000 if not - those are VW dealer prices. The dealer has lodged a goodwill claim with VW (we are very good, reliable customers) so we'll see if they come to the party at all.

So IMO the estimate you have been provided is about right for my experience of dealer pricing - aftermarket parts and labour I would expect to be cheaper.
    Last edited by doc_777; 11-02-2021 at 10:19 AM.
    Cheers

Users Country Flag
    Had my son's car repaired last week. Replaced both the water pump and the thermostat housing (I requested that the thermostat housing to be replaced as well regardless of whether is was currently leaking).

VW came to the party with some goodwill contribution (not bad for a 100,000km old second-owner vehicle), and the dealership assisted as well due to our good relationship with them. Total out of pocket for us was just over $800.It's a shame that the EA888 engine has this design issue, but they are pretty bulletproof in other regards so overall I'm not too worried about it moving forward.

Coming from old cars which needed regular replacement of points, plugs, dizzy caps, leads, carbie rebuilds...you name it...modern cars are a comparatively reliable delight
    Last edited by doc_777; 03-03-2021 at 09:22 AM.
    Cheers

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by bullsta View Post
    I have a 2016 Polo Gti 1.8 TSI. and have just realised the coolant level has dropped below minimum. My local mechanic has told me the water pump is leaking and that it is a common problem.
    Apparently a $1700 dollar fix!
    Car only has 50 k and has been serviced with one garage for the last four years.
    Do VW accept any liabilty or come to the party with cheaper rates to repair this if its a known fault.
    I have come from a MK4 GTI so understand these cars tend to replicate the same faults.
    Thanks
    Ask for some goodwill, lots of people get it. Easier if stock and with VW history. Still worth a punt. Worst thing is they say no.

Gavin