Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 77 TSI Engine Rattle on Start Up.

Users Country Flag

2011 77 TSI Engine Rattle on Start Up.

Had a very loud engine rattle on a cold start up last Friday, so left the car all weekend but it still rattled on Monday. Drive to work and back carefully. This morning it was booked into VW but for Se reason on the cold start there was no rattle. To me it definitely sounded like it was coming from the timing chain. Is it possible for this to have rectified itself or even be something else.

Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2015 Golf R. Lapiz Blue.

Users Country Flag
    I have the same issues with my wife polo and the dealer said it was normal.

MY08 Mark V 1K Jetta 110kw 2.0L FSI 6 Speed Tiptronic, Comfortline, 18" VW R32 Omanyt Wheels, Reflex Silver
    MY11 Mercedes Benz W204 C250 150kw 1.8L Turbo 7 Speed, Vision Pack, Sunroof, Reverse Camera, 18", Palledum SIlver
    ** SOLD ** MY12 Mark V 6R Polo 77TSI 7 Speed DSG, Comfort Pack, 17" VW Polo 6R GTI Wheels, Pepper Grey

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Reedy View Post
    Had a very loud engine rattle on a cold start up last Friday, so left the car all weekend but it still rattled on Monday. Drive to work and back carefully. This morning it was booked into VW but for Se reason on the cold start there was no rattle. To me it definitely sounded like it was coming from the timing chain. Is it possible for this to have rectified itself or even be something else.

Cheers.

I had the same problem with my 2010 polo tsi. Dealer replaced my timing chain and tensioner under goodwill. Apparently the old model tensioners weren't spring loaded and were causing slack in the chains. Its best to have it checked by your dealer, just in case.

Users Country Flag
    Sounds like the timing chain tensioner.

At a minimum make sure the dealer records the issue & send them an email every time it happens. Try & record it with your phone.

If it fails the results are expensive.
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Agree with all the above, get it looked at sharpish as if it jumps teeth or such like its not going to end well for your engine

I too got mine done under goodwill... 100% parts and 100% labour (up from their initial offering of 100% parts, 0% labour)
    My Car(s): 2011 6R TSI Comfortline (Pepper Silver),
    If you're in need of any 6n1 parts, odds are that I am going to have them (dismantling 2 at the moment)

I have the same problem on my 77kw TSI engine as well, but it doesn't happen all the time. Noticed it only happens when you drive a short distance (less than 1km) from cold start, turn off the engine and the loud rattle comes when you start it back up again.

Quote Originally Posted by route View Post
    I have the same problem on my 77kw TSI engine as well, but it doesn't happen all the time. Noticed it only happens when you drive a short distance (less than 1km) from cold start, turn off the engine and the loud rattle comes when you start it back up again.
    yes that is how it happens.. some times mine never did it, some times it did... the fact that it does it at all is a call to get it looked at and resolved..
    My Car(s): 2011 6R TSI Comfortline (Pepper Silver),
    If you're in need of any 6n1 parts, odds are that I am going to have them (dismantling 2 at the moment)

Users Country Flag
    I also have this issue on a 2010 polo 77tsi.

I have it on cold starts, also on hot days when the car has been sitting in sun all day.

I am out of warranty so I stopped going to dealerships for services, should I contact them about it or go to my regular servicer.

If it is the timing chain and tensioner do you know what ball park I should be looking at for replacement, don't want to get ripped off.

Users Country Flag
    Go back to the dealer. Try for "goodwill". You have a statutory warranty beyond the manufacturers warranty. ref ACCC website.

About $800 if the EA888 engines are an indication.
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Just been confirmed today Timing Chain. VW are putting a case forward for good will. I am out of warranty by time but the car has only done 85000klms. Will report back....

Ozzy
    2015 Golf R. Lapiz Blue.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast