Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 77 TSI Engine Rattle on Start Up.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

2011 77 TSI Engine Rattle on Start Up.

Got the car back today finally. It's been 2 weeks but they were busy and did the job in between things, they even did an oil change and filter change to make sure that metal shards had entered the oil. Chain changed with tensioners, cam shaft bolt couple of seals and sealant. Pleased with the outcome but took some organising and time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2015 Golf R. Lapiz Blue.

Quote Originally Posted by Reedy View Post
    Got the car back today finally. It's been 2 weeks but they were busy and did the job in between things, they even did an oil change and filter change to make sure that metal shards had entered the oil. Chain changed with tensioners, cam shaft bolt couple of seals and sealant. Pleased with the outcome but took some organising and time.

Good to hear... at least you got oil and filter, i didnt get a filter (as I had a hengst on it before and after) so given that I dare say they didnt change the oil either (even though the procedure does say it is required)
    My Car(s): 2011 6R TSI Comfortline (Pepper Silver),
    If you're in need of any 6n1 parts, odds are that I am going to have them (dismantling 2 at the moment)

Users Country Flag
    Did anyone happen to take an interior video/sound clip of the problem before the timing chain replacement? I think I've had the rattle for about half a second on random start ups. Very rare though, might happen twice in a row then nothing for two months. Perhaps it's just me being paranoid, but an example might help me pin point and show to the workshop - otherwise I get the feeling they'll brush me off given how rare it occurs for me.
    Current: 2018 Golf GTI Original | Manual | Tornado Red
    Previous: 2012 Polo TSI | Manual | Reflex Silver | Comfort and Sports Packs

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Sorry mate I didn't and probably should of, but for me or anyone really I think the sound was that loud and scary you just know.

2015 Golf R. Lapiz Blue.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by TSI_Dan View Post
    Did anyone happen to take an interior video/sound clip of the problem before the timing chain replacement? I think I've had the rattle for about half a second on random start ups. Very rare though, might happen twice in a row then nothing for two months. Perhaps it's just me being paranoid, but an example might help me pin point and show to the workshop - otherwise I get the feeling they'll brush me off given how rare it occurs for me.
    Don't bother going to McGraths at Sutho as they will tell you it's normal - even when there's a hole in the crankcase & oil is making a lake on the floor.

Try Rockdale VW. My mate had the occasional noise in his 77tsi and they changed the tensioner. Mech said "we know the noise you mean. We'll fix it".
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    Don't bother going to McGraths at Sutho as they will tell you it's normal - even when there's a hole in the crankcase & oil is making a lake on the floor.

Try Rockdale VW. My mate had the occasional noise in his 77tsi and they changed the tensioner. Mech said "we know the noise you mean. We'll fix it".
    I know not to bother with McGraths. Multiple cases of rude and incompetent behavior from their staff caused me to go elsewhere for the sale and servicing of my car. My last dealing with them was when they didn't know how or couldn't be bothered arranging the code for my radio unit. What a joke.
    Current: 2018 Golf GTI Original | Manual | Tornado Red
    Previous: 2012 Polo TSI | Manual | Reflex Silver | Comfort and Sports Packs

Users Country Flag
    Hi there, I've come accross this issue with my December 2011 77 TSI Golf. 49000klms
    Please see alternate forum requests; 77 TSI Manual - Stretched Timing Chain ?

I'm up for $600 if VW agree to 50% - somewhere in Hornsby.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by crashtest View Post
    Hi there, I've come accross this issue with my December 2011 77 TSI Golf. 49000klms
    Please see alternate forum requests; 77 TSI Manual - Stretched Timing Chain ?

I'm up for $600 if VW agree to 50% - somewhere in Hornsby.
    They should be paying for the lot. It's a known issue.
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Users Country Flag
    VW have just paid for the lot.

Very happy and about to buy a new VW as a result.

Users Country Flag

I've had the exact same issue with my 2010 Polo TSI, 66,000 kms. I wasn't fortunate enough to have caught it early though. Like crashtest, I lost all compression, lights on the dash and limped into a service centre to find out how bad it was. Volkswagen have had it for two weeks now, the initial diagnostic was worst case scenario, engine ruined.

I've just tried to call them today for an update on VW's response, waiting on a call back. A new engine is really not a cost I can bare so i'm more than a little nervous. Its good to hear others have had decent outcomes but it still doesn't fill me with confidence.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast