Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: 2011 77 TSI Engine Rattle on Start Up.

Users Country Flag

OK, report back from the dealer.

The whole engine is stuffed, so bad that they can't determine the cause, includes cracked pistons, crushed spark plugs etc etc. However they don't believe it was the timing chain as it is "within acceptable tolerances". I say Whhhhaaaaaat?

Remembering that I was heavily tail ended and the car was in the panel shop when it blew I specifically asked whether it could be the result of that, and they say it is just too hard to tell, it could be bad fuel causing overheating etc etc. The service reception tell me the service manager with 15 years experience in VWs had never seen anything like it.

End result VWA are supplying me with a new motor and I have to cover the labour. Considering the car is now 7 years old that seems like a pretty good result to me.

A penny for your thoughts?
    Sword Dude

2011 77 TSI Polo manual Flash Red with Sport Pack
    2014 (MY15) 125 TDI Superb Outdoor 4x4

If it's determined to not be the the well known timing chain stretch issue, I guess they can have some deniability with respect to giving you 100% goodwill or any goodwill at all.

You could get it looked at by another dealer, but it'll be at your cost and if they come to the same conclusion, you're up for that cost as well.

Like you said, it's a pretty good result, VW covering the cost of the motor. They could have easily said engine failure caused by owner. No goodwill.
    RS
    R

Users Country Flag
    Just throwing my story in, went for service yesterday at Osborne Park VW on a 2010 Golf 118TSi with 63,000km's. I told them at service it was sometimes idling rough at startup. When I picked it up they told me timing chain had stretched, and they'll replace it and tensioner next week under goodwill, no charges at all. Also had airbag replaced. As far as dealerships go they're pretty good, always look after me, no complaints.

Hi All,

I have had a similar issue with the timing chain on my 2010 77 TSI Polo 80,000km. CEL came on and thought it was the timing chain from reading forum posts. Took it to VW dealer to get it diagnosed, and when they confirmed the timing chain had stretched I started pushing for VW to offer some sort of goodwill considering this is a known issue (quoted $1540 originally). I am still trying to negotiate this with them but they are giving me the run around big time. It was taking a while so I said to go ahead and repair while I tried to work something out with VWA.

Dealer has now called to say that they checked the valves and they are bent. He estimates it will cost around $5k all up to fix the valves and chain.

Any advice on how to proceed would be appreciated. I'm of the opinion that VW should cover the lot since it is the result of a known fault in their timing chain, but this is unlikely.

Cheers.

Unfortunately not, good will is built on the fact they know of common issues. Good will is basically none existent on a 10 year car no matter what dealership service history it has. Unfortunately very unlikely you'd see any more than 10-25% of cost covered.

Quote Originally Posted by Polonator View Post
    Hi All,

I have had a similar issue with the timing chain on my 2010 77 TSI Polo 80,000km. CEL came on and thought it was the timing chain from reading forum posts. Took it to VW dealer to get it diagnosed, and when they confirmed the timing chain had stretched I started pushing for VW to offer some sort of goodwill considering this is a known issue (quoted $1540 originally). I am still trying to negotiate this with them but they are giving me the run around big time. It was taking a while so I said to go ahead and repair while I tried to work something out with VWA.

Dealer has now called to say that they checked the valves and they are bent. He estimates it will cost around $5k all up to fix the valves and chain.

Any advice on how to proceed would be appreciated. I'm of the opinion that VW should cover the lot since it is the result of a known fault in their timing chain, but this is unlikely.

Cheers.
    Unfortunately not, good will is built on the fact they know of common issues. Good will is basically none existent on a 10 year car no matter what dealership service history it has. Unfortunately very unlikely you'd see any more than 10-25% of cost covered.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910